BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Brisket Irma  (Read 2131 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Brisket Irma
« on: September 09, 2017, 10:25:41 AM »
Yesterday I decided to do a brisket to avoid having to venture out for grub this weekend. 

Cross post:

I did the salt, pepper, and brown sugar mix.  Guessing at quantities:  1/4 cup of kosher salt, 1/8 cup of fresh ground pepper, and 1/3 cup of brown sugar for each half.  I tried a new thing with the brown sugar where I ran the clumps across a sifting screen to make it a fine powder...it worked awesomely!

I had a whole packer choice that I cut in half just enough to leave some point on the main flat and then the other half was a big point and flat.  I'm going to try to make burnt ends with the big point/flat.

I'm doing a water bath under the meat layers with the big point/flat on the top shelf.

I picked up a Tappecue Wi-Fi 4 probe temp thing.  Probe 1 is chamber temp on the top shelf, probe 3 is meat temp on the top shelf, probe 2 is chamber temp on the lower shelf, and probe 4 is meat temp on the lower shelf.  The chamber is still stabilizing though.  The grill thermometer thinks it's currently at 177, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.  I should have put some analog thermometers in there...oh well, for now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Brisket Irma
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 10:33:55 AM »
This morning I woke up to the point/flat being at 184*, so I went down stairs and made a glaze:  some white wine vinegar, coke, sugar, pepper, sweet and heat bbq sauce, and burn your ass bbq sauce.  I mixed it together and then pulled that piece from the smoker.

I separated the point, then I cut the flat in half so I could return some of it to the smoker to finish.

The rest I cut into cubes after trimming most of the fat.  I had four aluminum pans I used, two for flat and two for point. 

Then I mixed the meat with the sauce on those pans and returned it all to the smoker.  I increased the temp to 250ish and let it cook for a bit over an hour.

Holy crap Batman, that shit is good!  The difference in point and flat is noticeable, with the point being better, but I would do flat again that way...freaking incredible.  The sauce was perfect for me...a bit of tang with awesome touch of heat, and sweet of course.

Finished product:

It was a bit more liquid than I would do in the future, so next time I'll reduce the sauce ahead of time.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 10:35:11 AM by clark123456 »
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 10:54:24 AM »
Oh yeah, forgot I drizzled honey over the ends before I put them back in the smoker.

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 11:04:06 AM »
Since you're calling it a Irma brisket, you should call the glaze "hurricane sauce".

It looks delicious.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 11:06:34 AM »
Since you're calling it a Irma brisket, you should call the glaze "hurricane sauce".

It looks delicious.
I like it! 

Last night Kell and I went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner.  Drink special?  A hurricane!

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 11:11:52 AM »
Looks awesome!
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 12:04:27 PM »
Nice Clark!!  Looks awesome
Jay

Offline Uncle Randy

• Visitor
  • Cherish every minute
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 12:40:34 PM »
Looks great. Nice job and great writeup
Randy
'06TJ
Treekiller

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 12:55:59 PM »
Looks great Clark! You Suck!

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 01:42:13 PM »
This morning I woke up to the point/flat being at 184*, so I went down stairs and made a glaze:  some white wine vinegar, coke, sugar, pepper, sweet and heat bbq sauce, and burn your ass bbq sauce.  I mixed it together and then pulled that piece from the smoker.

I separated the point, then I cut the flat in half so I could return some of it to the smoker to finish.

The rest I cut into cubes after trimming most of the fat.  I had four aluminum pans I used, two for flat and two for point. 

Then I mixed the meat with the sauce on those pans and returned it all to the smoker.  I increased the temp to 250ish and let it cook for a bit over an hour.

Holy crap Batman, that shit is good!  The difference in point and flat is noticeable, with the point being better, but I would do flat again that way...freaking incredible.  The sauce was perfect for me...a bit of tang with awesome touch of heat, and sweet of course.

Finished product:

It was a bit more liquid than I would do in the future, so next time I'll reduce the sauce ahead of time.

This was a test run for Harlan, right?
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 01:45:53 PM »

Finished product:

This was a test run for Harlan, right?
I concur..... With a please

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 02:21:06 PM »
^^^third
Jay

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE