BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Brisket Irma  (Read 2134 times)

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Re: Brisket Irma
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 04:00:53 PM »
This morning I woke up to the point/flat being at 184*, so I went down stairs and made a glaze:  some white wine vinegar, coke, sugar, pepper, sweet and heat bbq sauce, and burn your ass bbq sauce.  I mixed it together and then pulled that piece from the smoker.

I separated the point, then I cut the flat in half so I could return some of it to the smoker to finish.

The rest I cut into cubes after trimming most of the fat.  I had four aluminum pans I used, two for flat and two for point. 

Then I mixed the meat with the sauce on those pans and returned it all to the smoker.  I increased the temp to 250ish and let it cook for a bit over an hour.

Holy crap Batman, that shit is good!  The difference in point and flat is noticeable, with the point being better, but I would do flat again that way...freaking incredible.  The sauce was perfect for me...a bit of tang with awesome touch of heat, and sweet of course.

Finished product:

It was a bit more liquid than I would do in the future, so next time I'll reduce the sauce ahead of time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
This was a test run for Harlan, right?

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 04:06:33 PM »
Since you're calling it a Irma brisket, you should call the glaze "hurricane sauce".

It looks delicious.
I like it! 

Last night Kell and I went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner.  Drink special?  A hurricane!

I think the Texas Roadhouse is a excellent place to dine.

I may need to go to Harlan just for the food.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 04:53:41 PM »
Since you're calling it a Irma brisket, you should call the glaze "hurricane sauce".

It looks delicious.
I like it! 

Last night Kell and I went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner.  Drink special?  A hurricane!

I think the Texas Roadhouse is a excellent place to dine.

I may need to go to Harlan just for the food.
Ya, I bought into the 500 club last year at TR: $500 for $500 worth of gift cards (10 @ $50 each), one $15 gift certificate per month, 10% off all food purchase for parties of 4 or less, and a card that lets you jump to the front of the line if they're busy (an eff u to those waiting).  I think they actually reserve some tables specifically for the club.

I don't eat steak there, though, just the mushroom jack chicken sandwich...I love it.

I'll renew around Christmas...it's worth it.

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 07:06:19 PM »
I like the cat fish & chop steak (road kill). I have tried a steak & they are not bad, kinda grisly but it could have been the cut.
We always look at the check in amazement & stay full until bedtime.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 10:27:20 PM »
I attempted a modified replay of this for the Harlan trip.  This time I reduced the sauce a bunch, but the vinegar still 'cuts' the sugar sauces so much that the sauce doesn't stick like regular burnt ends.  That's not to say they're bad (maybe bad ass), but it gives a different texture than what real burnt ends are like.  I also didn't use as much hot BBQ sauce, which I think I regret, but I didn't measure anything the first time, nor this time, so the results are sure to vary. 

Also, I think what I used last time was not brown sugar, but turbinado sugar.  So....sifting brown sugar may not work.  This time I used brown sugar but it was fresh so it didn't need to be sifted. 

Pro tip:  if you have hard brown sugar, microwave it for tens of seconds and it'll soften up a bit.

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM