BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Tray Mountain Trails - Newbie Training Camp  (Read 287 times)

Online Kadavenport

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Tray Mountain Trails - Newbie Training Camp
« on: September 19, 2017, 01:36:32 PM »
Guys - I was bummed that I wasn't going to be able to join up at Gulches last weekend after planning to go, but just wasn't going to miss my daughters first soccer game on Saturday. Since I already had taken Friday off, my dad and I decided to go run Tray Mountain in Helen. It was meant to be a easy ride, and we were expecting well groomed and mostly gravel roads. Long story short, I under estimated the damage from the storm. Tray Mountain Rd was closed at several spots, as well as Chattahoochee River Rd. I was getting really bored on the gravel roads, and we kept stopping to clear the road where trees had blocked the way. There were some spots that were just impassible, which forced us on the Forestry Roads. Man it was a blessing in disguise!

Our original plan:

Actual Path

Some of the Forestry Roads were pretty rough, but not too tough for a newbie like me. It was a great chance to work on my lines, keeping the tires on the rocks and making sure I didn't bust the pumpkin on any obstacles. I took my time, and my dad was a great spotter, though we were probably more cautious than needed. There were some deep ruts, some rocks and obstacles, and a few very light water crossings. Ended up being a great day in the woods with my dad, 50 miles of gravel, dirt and mud in total.

Sure it was pretty easy, but a good place to get accustomed to my rig, and starting to build some good habits.
Kyle
Ansley (the wife), Layla (daughter), & Abbott (son)

2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
Re: Tray Mountain Trails - Newbie Training Camp
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 02:42:58 PM »
Sounds fun. I love taking cruises in the mountains.
I've grown tired of this.

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
Re: Tray Mountain Trails - Newbie Training Camp
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 03:07:50 PM »
We used to take a Winter excursion through the FS roads until we were invaded by outside forces. It is nice to venture on some FS roads. There are more than a few that are not so smooth. Many roads are still blocked due to Irma. Glad you had a good trip. 1st games are super important. Good Choice!
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM