BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Water heaters  (Read 802 times)

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
Re: Water heaters
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 02:59:16 PM »
Came back from my trip this weekend to our water heater busted. The element on the front of the heater has an o-ring inside that started leaking which lead to it bursting.
It flooded my mud room & garage. Pissed. I paid $850 out the door for a 50 gallon gas water heater.

I put a tankless in a while back, great investment, never run out of hot water.
Even with multiple things going at the same time: shower, dishwasher, and washing machine?  Did it save you gas/power cost?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

yep, it does take a bit longer for the hot water to reach the other side of the house, but last xmas, 3 showers going and wife in kitchen running dishwasher and laundry going, everyone had hot water.    took me about 5-6 years to re-cop the cost.  my gas bill is almost nothing. not heating standing water when no one is home.  love it.   we had to get a larger one based on the # of full baths and everything else we wanted.    the temp is controlled by a electic thurmastat, with a battery back up, so if we lose power we still get hot water.  :)
Cost estimate rounded up to the nearest hundred

I need to check with the wife, we also had to upgrade the gas line as the house is over 30 years old and was not to code, i will check with the wife when i get home on the cost, i forget. 
Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2012. //SKULL//
Kent Casey
37 PitBull Rocker's on ATX AX756 beadlock wheels
3.5FOX RESERVOIR COIL-OVER CONVERSION,5.13 Gears/Eaton Rear Locker
AtlasII 4.3.1 Dynatrac ProRock 44 Front Axle
MC Fenders & Sliders upgraded skids
http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php/topic,15401.372.html

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 02:59:55 PM »
Came back from my trip this weekend to our water heater busted. The element on the front of the heater has an o-ring inside that started leaking which lead to it bursting.
It flooded my mud room & garage. Pissed. I paid $850 out the door for a 50 gallon gas water heater.

Even with multiple things going at the same time: shower, dishwasher, and washing machine?  Did it save you gas/power cost?

yep, it does take a bit longer for the hot water to reach the other side of the house, but last xmas, 3 showers going and wife in kitchen running dishwasher and laundry going, everyone had hot water.    took me about 5-6 years to re-cop the cost.  my gas bill is almost nothing. not heating standing water when no one is home.  love it.   we had to get a larger one based on the # of full baths and everything else we wanted.    the temp is controlled by a electic thurmastat, with a battery back up, so if we lose power we still get hot water.  :)

I need to check with the wife, we also had to upgrade the gas line as the house is over 30 years old and was not to code, i will check with the wife when i get home on the cost, i forget.
Thanks, sir.

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 03:46:59 PM »
My electric water heater went out last Thanksgiving. I called one guy & he want $8k to install a on demand type. That was to upgrade my electric & for a larger water heater than I actually needed.  //nlnnn//

I got a 60 gallon from work & put it in after a few hours. Cost me $250.

Online Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 04:54:52 PM »
My electrician said he's put in a ton of 400 amp services bc people were doing an electric on demand water heater. He said they use a 200 amp breaker and use a ton of power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 05:28:06 PM »
I wonder what that costs?

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 06:20:57 PM »

Thanks, sir.

@clark123456  she said, not counting the gas line upgrade, about 2100 she is not sure what the gas mods that had to be made due to the house being so old.  this was about 11 years ago
Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2012. //SKULL//
Kent Casey
37 PitBull Rocker's on ATX AX756 beadlock wheels
3.5FOX RESERVOIR COIL-OVER CONVERSION,5.13 Gears/Eaton Rear Locker
AtlasII 4.3.1 Dynatrac ProRock 44 Front Axle
MC Fenders & Sliders upgraded skids
http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php/topic,15401.372.html

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 06:24:17 PM »
Thx....

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 07:23:46 PM »
It pays back in 20 years and they have to be replaced too.

19 if you have teenage daughters.

Utility companies usually have rebates
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 07:24:30 PM by Doug »

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 08:19:10 PM »
The unit itself is fairly inexpensive. $100- $1000. I've priced them at work.
The $100 model is for like a camper......or bus.
The $1k should be good for a fairly large ranch house.

Where they get you is the power upgrades needed to energize the things.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM