BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Wrangler? Buggy?  (Read 704 times)

Offline Ckkphoto

• Visitor
Wrangler? Buggy?
« on: October 05, 2017, 07:44:52 AM »
I am way premature to ask this but I tend to do my homework in advance.  I would like to pay off my truck before dumping any money in a crawler but after my wife started shopping for jeeps I found myself asking questions.  I apologize for my ignorance and the number of posts lately.

1.  Jeep or buggy?  If I do a dedicated crawler.  I have a daily driver.  Which is more cost effective?

2. I know so little about jeeps.  I lean toward the 2 door wrangler If I went that direction but there are so many models and when I read 4 wheeling mags I hear stories about how on certain models you need to change the differential bc it is too weak or the engine bc it is too weak.   Of course by the time I am ready the 2017 wrangler will be available as a used car!

I know the question is ignorant and it is guaranteed I will have more questions. But regarding jeeps I don't know what it is I don't know.

On an unrelated topic....I was reading the rules for group rides and I dont have a fire extinguisher...where do I get it?  mount it?

I appreciate your indulgence.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 08:01:00 AM by Ckkphoto »

Offline Jango

• Visitor
Re: Wrangler? Buggy?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 08:00:35 AM »
Great questions.

As you get out on the trails more and read more on here there are always upgrades to be done no matter what you have/buy. You will want to get out on the trails with the club before you consider what you want. A nice jeep is fun. It comes with AC and heat, has a radio, has a roof and doors. Depending on the buggy you choose I doubt you'd get most of those things.

But also, if you got the nice jeep, you might be worried about scratching it on that wild trail. Whereas a buggy, you could care less about flopping it because you bought it with several dents already in it. So whats another dent gonna do, right?

Most stock jeeps come with smaller axles that would probably be good enough to run 35" tires on without breaking. But when you want to start throwing diff lockers in the small axles you are setting it up to break. So thats why you see a lot of threads on here of people upgrading axles when they get bigger tires and add lockers.

My best advice to you, get out on the trails with the club with what you have now and just take it all in.

-Connor (Jango... the D is silent and invisible)

Offline Chris36l

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 08:55:27 AM »
Great questions.

As you get out on the trails more and read more on here there are always upgrades to be done no matter what you have/buy. You will want to get out on the trails with the club before you consider what you want. A nice jeep is fun. It comes with AC and heat, has a radio, has a roof and doors. Depending on the buggy you choose I doubt you'd get most of those things.

But also, if you got the nice jeep, you might be worried about scratching it on that wild trail. Whereas a buggy, you could care less about flopping it because you bought it with several dents already in it. So whats another dent gonna do, right?

Most stock jeeps come with smaller axles that would probably be good enough to run 35" tires on without breaking. But when you want to start throwing diff lockers in the small axles you are setting it up to break. So thats why you see a lot of threads on here of people upgrading axles when they get bigger tires and add lockers.

My best advice to you, get out on the trails with the club with what you have now and just take it all in.
^^^^^this^^^^^^^
Well said Connor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 09:11:36 AM »
I'll add, Ride shotgun with those of us on 35's and then in the afternoon catch a ride in one of the TJ's on fordy's or 42's. You'll get a true taste of the different options out there. They all have different comfort levels and capabilities.

When I first started I bought a stock jeep and started building it. If I were to do it again. I'd find a moderately built jeep and go from there. But get some experience and think about the end game of what type rig your after.
Like @Doug always says don't do it twice....although I think that comes from having done it twice, er/or was it thrice?
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline Ckkphoto

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 09:20:50 AM »
Thanks for the responses.  I definitely want to avoid duplicating efforts.  I will be trying to ride with the club....gotta get my truck compliant with the rules.

Answer to the fire extinguisher question?

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 09:23:14 AM »
Many times, many wasted $$$.

Begin with the end in mind.   

Offline Cannonballkev

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 09:32:24 AM »
I got my fire extinguishers at Home Depot,  mounted one inside and one outside.
  After I bought mine, someone mentioned not using those because they come with a " straw" inside that could come loose from all bumping around.  Not sure where to get the "correct" ones from, or how to tell difference.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:33:04 AM by Cannonballkev »
Get dirty, or get off the trail!

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 10:59:12 AM »
I got my fire extinguishers at Home Depot,  mounted one inside and one outside.
  After I bought mine, someone mentioned not using those because they come with a " straw" inside that could come loose from all bumping around.  Not sure where to get the "correct" ones from, or how to tell difference.

The issue with the home depot ones is they will destroy your wiring Where as the HR3 will not https://www.summitracing.com/parts/htr-mx100c?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-h3r-performance&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsNfOBRCWARIsAGITapbQuiFgGPnOlQXqYxGOurellbGTwYCVfxMFUkVU0-Xr-omF96xmJFoaAnMfEALw_wcB
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 11:07:45 AM »
Buggy.

Less body to mess up, usually always easier to package things, more flex, can have more room.

Buy built or close to what you want. Almost always cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 09:34:09 PM »
I used to have a 4 door wrangler. Lift, 35s, winch etc.

Turns out, I had so much fun wheeling that i kept wanting to hang with the big kids and take the harder lines, but I had to make sure I could make it back to work on Monday.

Sold the jeep, got a truck, and built an old cj5 into a dedicated crawler (bought a year earlier, I planned to restore it). For me, that was the best plan of action.

Future plans may include a new jeep to drive around town, but I'm keeping a dedicated buggy/juggy

Offline Ckkphoto

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 10:28:39 PM »
As posted in the other thread i guess i am now shopping for a  cheap jeep to build up.  It will not be a daily driver.  I have sooooooo much to learn about jeeps.  As soon as i have one i will have many questions i am sure.  But  I  am off road about every other week so it makes sense to do this. 

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 10:45:04 PM »
Truth

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM