BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: New equipment  (Read 490 times)

Offline TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: New equipment
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2021, 10:33:44 AM »
The weight rated can be based on the axles or tires or a combination. It is really up to the manufacturer how to calculate it. Also in the industry the wight rating minus the trailer weight does not equal  payload capacity . There is no set amount allowed for the hitch to transfer the weight to the truck ,but it is generally  25% on a bumper pull and 30% on a goose neck.
I watched a 'trailer selection video' where the guy buying a trailer had it downrated 'so the truck and trailer max would be under the CDL license requirements'.  It seems to me the rating doesn't matter to the safety patrol, it's whether you're driving a combination that exceeds the limits of your license.  He said down rating was common...y'all ever heard of such a thing?  Is he correct in his rationale?

His trailer with dual 7K axles was originally rated at 15.6k-ish and he had it knocked down to 14.4k-ish.

Has anyone other than you Clark ever even been pulled over for a trailer violation?

I haven't
And never will if I didn't get pulled over last weekend with a super sketch pallet of bagged mulch on my trailer.  Idiot HD guy couldn't load it right, broke the pallet which made it lean back and my strapping was somewhat lackluster.  Had two LEO's pass me on Hwy 92 and never even turned their heads at me.  I wasn't over-weight, not even close, but the whole thing just looked awful.
http://cheapatlantamulch.com/

Much cheaper than buying the bags at home depot even with the delivery fee
Travis Macdonald
Crossthreading is nature's locktite

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2021, 10:58:03 AM »
The weight rated can be based on the axles or tires or a combination. It is really up to the manufacturer how to calculate it. Also in the industry the wight rating minus the trailer weight does not equal  payload capacity . There is no set amount allowed for the hitch to transfer the weight to the truck ,but it is generally  25% on a bumper pull and 30% on a goose neck.
I watched a 'trailer selection video' where the guy buying a trailer had it downrated 'so the truck and trailer max would be under the CDL license requirements'.  It seems to me the rating doesn't matter to the safety patrol, it's whether you're driving a combination that exceeds the limits of your license.  He said down rating was common...y'all ever heard of such a thing?  Is he correct in his rationale?

His trailer with dual 7K axles was originally rated at 15.6k-ish and he had it knocked down to 14.4k-ish.

Has anyone other than you Clark ever even been pulled over for a trailer violation?

I haven't
And never will if I didn't get pulled over last weekend with a super sketch pallet of bagged mulch on my trailer.  Idiot HD guy couldn't load it right, broke the pallet which made it lean back and my strapping was somewhat lackluster.  Had two LEO's pass me on Hwy 92 and never even turned their heads at me.  I wasn't over-weight, not even close, but the whole thing just looked awful.

I go to Site One in Kennesaw (near the county airport) for any bulk purchases of hardscapes...about 1/3 the price if I pick it up compared to bagged stuff at a box store.

Lazy tip:  have the mulch, topsoil (e.g., lighter stuff) dumped into buckets or rubbermaid-like storage containers on the trailer...makes moving and dumping it so much easier than a shovel or pitchfork.  They are very accomodating at Site One, but the first time there can be intimidating because there aren't very many instructions posted to tell you the process or place to be to get stuff. 
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2021, 11:11:38 AM »

I've often wondered the same. I personally don't know anyone other than Clark who has been pulled over for private use stuff.

I still have plenty of research to do to understanding GVWR vs GCWR and all that technical shit but the owners manual in my truck says the max towing capacity is 14,500 lbs bumper pull. Not sure on the goose/5th limit. I see what appears to be overweight loads almost daily but don't recall ever actually seeing anyone pulled over for it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 11:14:31 AM by Jeepster1407 »
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2021, 11:17:25 AM »
@extremetownie can chime in, but what did the KOH trailer weigh? 30k? I think we were north of 40k total and literally drove across the country with it and the only thing that was ever said was when we crossed into California they were pissed we had bamboo sticks for flag poles. I had 4 gallons of liquor in a Jegs can  lmao .. there are pictures somewhere on Pirate of guys drinking straight outta the gas jug  [cheers]
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2021, 11:41:07 AM »

I haven't

I stay away from bag mulch. My last purchase of bagged included termites!
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2021, 12:17:03 PM »

I haven't

Nope. It’s not, when the HD stuff is on sale, 5 for $10.

And, the bags are easier to move around than a dump load of mulch in your driveway.

Offline TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2021, 01:40:42 PM »

I haven't

And, the bags are easier to move around than a dump load of mulch in your driveway.
Not sure how often they're on sale that cheap, but regular price is $3.33 a bag. So at 3.33 a bag you're more than $100 more than I paid on 4/1 and didn't require me getting the trailer out, going to HD and have to wait around for them to load it, then cut open and dump 135 plastic bags. I've done the bags before and I'd much rather do the wheelbarrow.
Travis Macdonald
Crossthreading is nature's locktite

Online Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2021, 07:11:05 PM »

I haven't

Not sure how often they're on sale that cheap, but regular price is $3.33 a bag. So at 3.33 a bag you're more than $100 more than I paid on 4/1 and didn't require me getting the trailer out, going to HD and have to wait around for them to load it, then cut open and dump 135 plastic bags. I've done the bags before and I'd much rather do the wheelbarrow.
Must be his senior discount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM