BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Lake Lanier (Or as some call it “Georgia’s cursed lake”)  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline j3ff3ry_j33p

• Visitor
Re: Lake Lanier (Or as some call it “Georgia’s cursed lake”)
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2020, 07:47:29 PM »
Loch Lanier claims another unlucky soul.....https://www.ajc.com/news/local/body-hall-county-teen-pulled-from-lake-lanier/3F0o9AKwAHrVc8W8aOzysI/

man , it's like a death conveyor belt ,that lake. it's always had a steady stream of fatalities , I guess because it's so popular. Sorry to hear about another young life snuffed out like that . Respecting that , it still doesn't help prevent me from feeling that the lake could be a perfect , classic Stephen King horror novel basis
Jeffery
şlllllllş '11 JKUs
▀lllllll▀ '95 XJ

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2020, 05:54:46 AM »
If anyone is familiar with Gainesville....
It was at Longwood Park. The little cove
behind the rock at Gainesville High School
right in town.

Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2020, 08:18:09 AM »
Loch Lanier claims another unlucky soul.....https://www.ajc.com/news/local/body-hall-county-teen-pulled-from-lake-lanier/3F0o9AKwAHrVc8W8aOzysI/

man , it's like a death conveyor belt ,that lake. it's always had a steady stream of fatalities , I guess because it's so popular. Sorry to hear about another young life snuffed out like that . Respecting that , it still doesn't help prevent me from feeling that the lake could be a perfect , classic Stephen King horror novel basis

Its a large lake with many things that can snare an unaware swimmer. A fellow sailor told me to always swim with a safety knife because of the amount and tangles of fishing line and rope submerged in the lake. I prefer the Gulf for swimming but the lakes are so much closer. Stay safe friends.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2020, 04:50:45 PM »
Wild they found him using sonar scanner and a remote-operated vehicle. That's crazy!
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

Offline flashover101

• Visitor
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2021, 04:40:39 PM »
I’m camping at the lake this week. I have been a diver many times on this lake for recoveries. Not only are there snag obstacles but it’s damn cold even in the summer at depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike
2014 JK

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2021, 10:43:10 AM »
Looks great Mike. @flashover101 is that at Old Federal?

Deepest I have swam at Lanier was 10-15 feet in Pizza Cove near Sunrise. Scrubbing the sailboat bottom.

Many areas have tree limbs just below the surface with all kinds of fishing line and rope snags. A diver friend of mine warned me to always have a knife with me on Lanier. We have safety knives on our pfds.
https://www.amazon.com/NRS-Pilot-Knife-Orange/dp/B014OTTL4S/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=nrs+pilot+knife&qid=1618929632&sr=8-2
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline flashover101

• Visitor
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2021, 12:58:51 PM »
Looks great Mike. @flashover101 is that at Old Federal?

Deepest I have swam at Lanier was 10-15 feet in Pizza Cove near Sunrise. Scrubbing the sailboat bottom.

Many areas have tree limbs just below the surface with all kinds of fishing line and rope snags. A diver friend of mine warned me to always have a knife with me on Lanier. We have safety knives on our pfds.
https://www.amazon.com/NRS-Pilot-Knife-Orange/dp/B014OTTL4S/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=nrs+pilot+knife&qid=1618929632&sr=8-2
We are at Sawnee Campground near the dam. All lakes and especially ponds in neighborhoods have tons of snag hazards. It’s amazing the stuff we would get hung up in at the bottom.

Mike
2014 JK

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2021, 09:04:59 PM »
Seen any big catfish at the bottom of dam? I grew up on West Point Lake and the divers would tell stories of big fish.
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline flashover101

• Visitor
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2021, 08:33:50 AM »
Unfortunately not!

Mike
2014 JK

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM