BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Lake Lanier (Or as some call it “Georgia’s cursed lake”)  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
Lake Lanier (Or as some call it “Georgia’s cursed lake”)
« on: December 23, 2017, 10:44:06 AM »
Someone brought up a mysterious death on Lake Lanier (I think in the 50’s) this morning and it seemed like everyone at the table was familiar with it or had a story of their own, especially my mother in law who was married to the owner of The Damn Store for some time. It’s pretty wild to read about all of the towns, cemeteries, buildings, etc that are still down there.

Anyways, thought I’d share this article.

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2015/12/mysteries-and-death-at-georgias-cursed-lake/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 10:47:05 AM by Danny Kinder »
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
Re: Lake Lanier (Or as some call it “Georgia’s cursed lake”)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 11:02:39 AM »
There is a car race track and the concrete grand stands still under the lake. 

Bobby

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 12:44:51 PM »
Pretty cool.  That drought a few years ago revealed a lot of cool stuff, iirc.

I like the body at the office desk!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 01:07:06 PM »
Interesting read for sure. I had a Sailing friend that used to dive in Lanier regularly with a local dive group. He said he had seen catfish as large as VW bugs and always told me he would not swim in Lanier with out a knife strapped to his leg. He said one of the main causes of drownings on Lanier was from all the fishing line adrift in the lake. I keep a safety knife on my life vest for this an similar reasons.

I enjoyed reading the part about the ghosts. I saw a ghost in Cabbage Town once. She is seen often around Cabbage Town tending to gardens and walking about. It is said she was a textile mill worker killed on the job.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 01:58:17 PM »
That is a cool article.  I didn't realize that much stuff was down there.

Bad depiction of the accident where the two boys were killed and Paul Bennett was charged.  Yes, he struck the pontoon boat, but he had the right of way on the water.  The pontoon boat should have yielded, the pontoon boat had 13 people on it, and none of the kids had on life vests.  Not sure if the pontoon was rented or not or if the driver had extensive boating skills.  It was a tragedy and media had to completely twisted the story and made Paul out to be an evil villain.  Paul's girlfriend was my admin assistant for 5 years when I worked at CheckFree.  All this happened after I left the company. 

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 03:39:34 PM »
The race track is at Laurel Park. You can see the cement seats when the lake is down.
I'm pretty sure none of the pictures were taken in Lanier. I've never seen the water that clear. Ever.

Offline Chris36l

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 05:28:51 PM »
Cool read. I didn't know much of that stuff

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 08:15:32 PM »
The race track is at Laurel Park. You can see the cement seats when the lake is down.
I'm pretty sure none of the pictures were taken in Lanier. I've never seen the water that clear. Ever.

In the summer Lanier get very clear as long as there are not any storms to kick up the mud in the creeks and rivers. The south end of Lanier is always clearer than the North end.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Online jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 08:50:20 PM »

In the summer Lanier get very clear as long as there are not any storms to kick up the mud in the creeks and rivers. The south end of Lanier is always clearer than the North end.
“Clear” is a relative term for Lanier. Murky haze is its normal state.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 09:19:00 PM »
I'm use to the north end. I've never been able to stand in knee deep water & see my feet. Its nasty.

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 10:22:11 AM »
Interesting read for sure. I had a Sailing friend that used to dive in Lanier regularly with a local dive group. He said he had seen catfish as large as VW bugs and always told me he would not swim in Lanier with out a knife strapped to his leg. He said one of the main causes of drownings on Lanier was from all the fishing line adrift in the lake. I keep a safety knife on my life vest for this an similar reasons.

I enjoyed reading the part about the ghosts. I saw a ghost in Cabbage Town once. She is seen often around Cabbage Town tending to gardens and walking about. It is said she was a textile mill worker killed on the job.

I've heard that there are catfish the size of vw's several times. We used to have a family friend that dove near the dam. He said it's fairly easy to see down there on a clear day. Also said he has seen some monster catfish!! He described them to be that size too.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 10:42:03 AM by Danny Kinder »
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 05:14:15 PM »
Second this month

The body of a 19-year-old Gwinnett County man was pulled from Lake Lanier on Sunday night, an official said.

The victim was identified as Stephen Frederick of Peachtree Corners, Hall County sheriff’s spokesman Stephen Wilbanks said Monday.

“At this time, foul play is not suspected,” Wilbanks said.

Emergency officials responded Sunday to the 6700 block of Bass Circle in south Hall County about 9:20 p.m., fire services spokesman Zachary Brackett said.

Responders were told of a man who had jumped off the second story of a dock and had not resurfaced, according to Brackett.

“Hall County Fire Services Marine Rescue recovered the male after approximately 60 minutes of dive operations in 19 feet of water,” Brackett said.

The sheriff’s office, which helped with the incident, will be investigating. Officials with the state Department of Natural Resources also were on the scene.

It is the second drowning this month at the lake.

The body of Jalil Poorak, 59, of Alpharetta, was recovered by the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office and Fire Department on May 13, officials said.
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM