BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: JUNE 8-10TH - HAWK PRIDE MOUNTAIN : DISCUSSION  (Read 7142 times)

Offline Chris36l

• Visitor
Re: JUNE 8-10TH - HAWK PRIDE MOUNTAIN : DISCUSSION
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2018, 06:29:34 PM »
I just downloaded the Cartotracks map into Avenza PDF on my phone.  ;-)

https://www.cartotracks.com/hawk_pride_offroad_map

I want to check out this app on your phone when we get there. I've always debated it, guess I just need to see it in action
NP.  It works well and does not require a cell signal or wifi.  Once you have the map on your phone, it simply uses GPS from your phone/device to show you as a blue dot on the map.
Just download it. It’s a free app. I use it at hale, chocco, and golden MTN. Much more convenient than a paper map.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2018, 06:59:14 PM »

I want to check out this app on your phone when we get there. I've always debated it, guess I just need to see it in action
NP.  It works well and does not require a cell signal or wifi.  Once you have the map on your phone, it simply uses GPS from your phone/device to show you as a blue dot on the map.
Just download it. It’s a free app. I use it at hale, chocco, and golden MTN. Much more convenient than a paper map.

Free to download, but dont you pay for each map?

Online jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2018, 07:00:53 PM »

Some maps are free but most you have to pay for.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline Chris36l

• Visitor
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2018, 07:02:36 PM »

I think chocco was the only free map that I have, but the others weren’t much. $5-$10.....

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2018, 07:41:56 PM »

I think chocco was the only free map that I have, but the others weren’t much. $5-$10.....

1/10th of the cost of his rig is a lot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Online Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2018, 07:55:25 PM »

That’s a little generous. I was thinking 1/2.

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2018, 08:16:05 PM »

That’s a little generous. I was thinking 1/2.

#ruthless

Offline j3ff3ry_j33p

• Visitor
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2018, 07:36:53 AM »

Not steering us further off subject but I use an app I used free first then paid i think $12 for called Backwoods Navigator ( pro) and it uses all formats of USG Topo and GPSD , those cartomap PDF format , etc...and you can download the area you select while on WiFi then access without any service later. initially used free but was so good I bought it. Just an option. Tons of maps and types. Even has all the BLM and USFS used maps. High res Topo w live, GPS overlay.
Jeffery
ºlllllllº '11 JKUs
▀lllllll▀ '95 XJ

Online Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2018, 09:07:28 AM »

Not steering us further off subject but I use an app I used free first then paid i think $12 for called Backwoods Navigator ( pro) and it uses all formats of USG Topo and GPSD , those cartomap PDF format , etc...and you can download the area you select while on WiFi then access without any service later. initially used free but was so good I bought it. Just an option. Tons of maps and types. Even has all the BLM and USFS used maps. High res Topo w live, GPS overlay.

Does it have actual trail maps of the parks we visit?

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2018, 11:49:10 AM »
Hope you guys have good weather and a safe trip.

Offline j3ff3ry_j33p

• Visitor
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2018, 12:36:01 PM »

Does it have actual trail maps of the parks we visit?

If there is a source for it from AccuTerra or somebody has made one for GPSies or CartoTracks ( very small selection there) or FunTracks ( almost exclusively Western trail systems) or you have a downloadable XML or GPS file that correlates, yes. I have not paid for the AccuTerra maps but  I find using a good topographical map together with whatever the park offers map-wise is more than adequate for getting myself around., A place such as Beasley or any of the USFS sports are , of course in there. The BLM maps are extensive but not applicable to our side of the country. I may not be explaining this apps extensive functionality well so you should check it out yourself.  So, to answer, yes , but there are not tons of OHVs like Hale Mtn or Chocco that will have this data .  Purportedly the newer USGS surveying is going to include trailheads and trails & this is in Preview mode on the app.
Jeffery
ºlllllllº '11 JKUs
▀lllllll▀ '95 XJ

Online jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2018, 08:38:22 AM »
The weather forecast is looking good for next weekend.  Keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

John
Tube chassis/buggy

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM