BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Colorado 6/29-7/6 stories, pictures and we aren’t talking about the last topic  (Read 9882 times)

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Nice write ups guys! @jc79 @tcdawg  Glad all went well!

Glad you went with my itinerary @Anvilsam  lmao

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Great reports to read in the morning.

I'll add that I've upgraded my trailer tires to the Goodyears as well; very tires of blowing the Carlisles.

Discount Tire told me they dropped the Carlisle tires last year when they started making them in China. 

Offline BigPrince

• Visitor
Awesome write ups!  I really look forward to how these trips are going to continue to get better as the knowledge of the areas gets better - what to do, what not to do, etc.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Awesome write ups!  I really look forward to how these trips are going to continue to get better as the knowledge of the areas gets better - what to do, what not to do, etc.
Don't try to force the rest of the group to avoid breakfast...there's a lesson to be learned.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
I still have some pics to upload and stuff to figure out, but here are my basic thoughts on the trip, just my OPINIONS, dont get all fuzzeld ladies.

*Actually cost less than budgeted for, that was cool.
*around $850 in fuel, thats LJ and Dodge.
*around 3700 miles for me
*1048 miles is too much for a single day, but damn she was good to me when i got home  [smoke]
*Clark is a hell of a travel buddy, and he knows how to drive and truck and a Jeep
*tons are absolutely necessary for a trip out west, idgaf what you think.
*Chinese tires dont have shit to do with blowouts, its all load, heat, and speed.
*Wes is a very patient individual
*101 is hot i dont care where you are
*take more water than you think you need
*Loki is the best travel dog ever
*tune your diesel, i got 14.1 mpg average for the trip
*the LJ needs bumpstops
*this group was the shit, had a blast. Uncle Randy is fearless.
*you may not have to have 42s, but it sure makes thing a little easier
*spotters need to be designated, trusted, and payed attention to

I may add to this later, but these are my initial thoughts after getting home and having a day to think and unload. Hell of a trip guys, thanks for the hospitality and planning on every ones part, and thanks for letting me ride along, it was one for the books for sure.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
I will say Loki was easy to travel with. He was in my truck from Penrose, Colorado to Hays, Kansas and snored the entire way. He barely moved except for fuel stops. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobby

Offline Jango

• Visitor
Awesome reports guys! very envious.
-Connor (Jango... the D is silent and invisible)

Offline BigPrince

• Visitor
Couple of questions -

@clark123456 were y'all running about the same pace / speed as last year?  14.1 is a hell of a lot better than I got last year.  Might pay for the delete after a couple trips out west at that rate.

Independence Trail ended up being a 9.5 out of 10 on the Wheeling Scale... The 4 door guys, of course, crapped out.
Was there a 4dr vs 2dr factor in this? Tight turns or something else?  I figure the 4dr should be easier to drop down a ledge with the longer wheelbase?

As we were unloading, I forgot to let down one of my jack stands on the trailer, ran over the square metal tube with my passenger rear tire and gashed the heck out of it...
Is the tire toast?

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Couple of questions -

Independence Trail ended up being a 9.5 out of 10 on the Wheeling Scale... The 4 door guys, of course, crapped out.
Was there a 4dr vs 2dr factor in this? Tight turns or something else?  I figure the 4dr should be easier to drop down a ledge with the longer wheelbase?

The drop big 6 foot drop was probably the "easy" part.  The four-doors would get down but the wall was literally straight up and down, even somewhat undercut in some spots which meant that if your rear wheels did not extend past your rear bumper, you were scraping the hell out of whatever was back there.  If anyone had a spare tire in the location that wall would have ripped it off.  Jared drug his rear quarter armor, no real damage just scrapes...same with Justin.  Clark's tires extend past his rear bumper and he didn't touch anything at all back there, he went through that section incredibly smooth.

The next two sections had tough, tight off camber section that had a good threat of body damage.  We wussed on that.  Then there was an off camber down hill turn with a nasty hole that the passenger front had to drop into...this had to be done just right and if you didn't have the flex to droop your tire down in there, there was a possibility of going over and leaning against a rock.

As we were unloading, I forgot to let down one of my jack stands on the trailer, ran over the square metal tube with my passenger rear tire and gashed the heck out of it...
Is the tire toast?

Tire is toast. 3" inch chunk out of the sidewall.  I have insurance on them for full replacement through Discount Tire so I will only be out the cost of a new insurance certificate($50) and the time to dismount and mount.

This was an absolute total dumbass move on my part.  I didn't follow my normal unloading routine and made a mistake.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:11:40 AM by tcdawg »

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Couple of questions -

@clark123456 were y'all running about the same pace / speed as last year?  14.1 is a hell of a lot better than I got last year.  Might pay for the delete after a couple trips out west at that rate.

Is the tire toast?
Pretty much same a last year, except we did northern route both ways (and it was awesome!).  Here is my final DIC from 2017 trip.  It is VERY similar to the 2018 trip.  Check truck miles to know the difference between the trips.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline BigPrince

• Visitor
Check truck miles to know the difference between the trips.

That comparison is actually pretty cool. 

Tire is toast. 3" inch chunk out of the sidewall.  I have insurance on them for full replacement through Discount Tire so I will only be out the cost of a new insurance certificate($50) and the time to dismount and mount.

Discount doesn't know how to mount or balance a tire worth a crap but I keep going back for that certificate. We all do dumb things at some point and good thing you have it! 

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
Check truck miles to know the difference between the trips.

That comparison is actually pretty cool. 

Discount doesn't know how to mount or balance a tire worth a crap but I keep going back for that certificate. We all do dumb things at some point and good thing you have it!
Speaking of dumb things... our first day of wheeling I left jarods tire locked to my lower front control arm and nearly screwed up big time backing off the trailer... got it unhooked and then forgot to undo my 1” strap that was attached to my slider. All it did was tear the strap but I felt like a dumb dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM