BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Garage build 2019  (Read 967 times)

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
Garage build 2019
« on: July 08, 2018, 02:00:33 PM »
Starting to plan it now.  It is going to be 16'x24', 3 or 4 sided brick to match the house, 8' high garage door, side door, window (maybe), 12' high ceilings to accommodate a lift, hot water coils in the floor for heat.  To do list for planning.

- HOA approval - already talked to HOA President and he's onboard and said it wouldn't be a problem.

- City of Roswell - I have to ensure that I have enough impervious land which I should have plenty.  That is land that can absorb water as they don't want an entire lot covered that causes runoff.

- Get an architect to draw up the plans

- Figure out how to get power to the garage.  I have two 200 amp power panels for the house, but running a line to the garage for a sub-panel might be as difficult as running a new service/meter there.  I want to have a couple of 220 circuits (welder, compressor, A/C, etc) plus 110 for outlets and lights.

- Start getting prices on concrete and materials.  I'm hoping to do this for under $20k.  My brother-in-law and I will be doing a lot of the work unless I can get a former neighbor who is a builder to give me a good turn-key price. 

I'm pretty excited about this project.  We're going to live here for 7 or 8 more years until we retire and it will definitely add to the value of the house.  The garage attached to the house is very small and the Yukon, Harley, and Jeep won't fit in it and the Jeep stays in the driveway.  I want to get another daily driver but there isn't any place to put it. 

If anyone knows GOOD & RELIABLE contractors for concrete, framing, etc., shoot me their info.

Offline Michigunman

• Visitor
Re: Garage build 2019
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 08:34:06 PM »
Nice Mike!  Good luck with the project.
Mark
2003 TJ Sport with some mods
1998 TJ with more mods

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 08:40:06 PM »
That the biggest size you can fit on the lot?

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 07:57:41 AM »
That the biggest size you can fit on the lot?
No, but I’d have to move it back further which causes a fence to be moved.  This will be a good sized garage and fulfill the need until we sell. I originally was thinking 24x30. Also trying to control the cost. I dont have @DOUG money. LOL

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 08:21:17 AM »
Good luck with the build Mike. I loved contracting the construction of my house. Will you be doing some of the work yourself? My first though thought is push it back and move that fence. 16' x 24' may be cramped for you. I'd imagine your 2D JK is probably 80" wide and 168" long. Do you think 5' front and back and 4.5'on either side will be enough? Just curious.
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 08:47:07 AM »
I dont think anyone has ever regretted making a garage bigger.

I think mine is 24x26, and I find it cramped at times (even with the trailer parked elsewhere). Add in your lift, workbenches, large air compressor, welding cart, storage racks/shelves, etc and you'll be finding yourself wanting more room.

Just my opinion, but if you have the space I'd move the fence and go bigger.

Offline bjeep

• Visitor
  • Do one thing today to make tomorrow better.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 09:01:31 AM »
The best thing for a shop/garage is AC !!  [slammin]
 A lift is a very close second.....
Marty

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 09:12:50 AM »

Hopefully that's my next shop/garage upgrade

Online Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 09:46:53 AM »

My 30x40 is perfect now that the boat is gone. Sad to see it go but the next one will be even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 10:27:01 AM »

My 30x40 is perfect now that the boat is gone. Sad to see it go but the next one will be even better.

@Anvilsam is the 40 ft depth enough park your truck and trailer in the garage with the trailer attached?  Or would you need to go 50 ft?  I'm asking for a future garage project when I move full-time to Woodstock.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Online Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 11:10:19 AM »

@Anvilsam is the 40 ft depth enough park your truck and trailer in the garage with the trailer attached?  Or would you need to go 50 ft?  I'm asking for a future garage project when I move full-time to Woodstock.
You would need 50 to park truck and trailer. My next garage at our new house will be big enough to accommodate a Lift in the center and a stall on each side large enough for truck and trailer together. My one regret is putting in large doors close to the side walls. My shop is 30 wide with two 12 foot doors. That leaves me 3 feet between and 1.5 on each side. That isn’t enough room to put a tool box or even walk around the Lift comfortably. I recommend at least 4 feet on each side of the door.

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 04:07:11 PM »

You would need 50 to park truck and trailer. My next garage at our new house will be big enough to accommodate a Lift in the center and a stall on each side large enough for truck and trailer together. My one regret is putting in large doors close to the side walls. My shop is 30 wide with two 12 foot doors. That leaves me 3 feet between and 1.5 on each side. That isn’t enough room to put a tool box or even walk around the Lift comfortably. I recommend at least 4 feet on each side of the door.

50 is still tight if your trailer is 20ft like our PJs. Id go 55 for a tad of space or if you will have shelves or workbenches. My big shop is 175x50 and when I come in with both theres not hardly room to walk in front of the truck, and I have shelves at the back that do not take much room.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM