BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Rubicon Trail  (Read 2411 times)

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Rubicon Trail
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2018, 08:37:01 AM »
I've been thinking of doing the same thing. Shipping my rig out to a friends house in Cali and flying out to run the trail. Time being the most valuable thing these days.
If you are 2 years out, I would be interested in doing the same thing.
Group trip

Budget $1200 out and $1200 back for shipping.

More if you need it picked up at specific times. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 08:37:43 AM by tcdawg »

Offline thetastelingers

• Visitor
Re: Rubicon Trail
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2018, 10:18:17 AM »
I've been thinking of doing the same thing. Shipping my rig out to a friends house in Cali and flying out to run the trail. Time being the most valuable thing these days.
Group trip

Fuel for the round trip would be about $1200+/- depending on current prices anyway. Plus food and housing.
An extra $1200 for the 4-6 days you would lose doesn't sound that bad.
------------------------------------------------------------------
If at once you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2018, 10:43:13 AM »
Group trip

Fuel for the round trip would be about $1200+/- depending on current prices anyway. Plus food and housing.

Plus the $ airfare and as much as 30 days on the front end and back end without your rig for the lowest cost.  The vehicle changes carriers in carrier hubs like freight.  A direct haul is much more expensive.  I am in CA frequently and the cost to have my rig meet me there is just nuts.

Offline BigPrince

• Visitor
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2018, 10:45:28 AM »
Group trip

If I did the Rubicon I would plan my trip to include seeing family, stopping for sight seeing, and getting food from iconic places along the route.  I consider that half the fun and life experience.  After the 5th time through you get a bit tired of the Kansas flatness but the first time seeing and experiencing that is awesome.  The night sky being lit up by flashing red beacons on all the wind turbines as far as you can see.  The soul moving beautiful drive from Denver to Grand Junction on I70.  The engine roar on the run up Eisenhower pass.  The quirky weird ambiance, delicious breakfast, and great friends all around one table in Leadville (and subsequent almost passing out just walking down the street from the thin air). The Moab meals from folks who traveled there brought from all over - Texas Brisket from Driftwood Tx, KC BBQ from the #1 KC BBQ joint, St Louis style pizza from STL, low country boil with crawdads and shrimp from Mississippi.  The massive Texas sized steak lunch with great friends.  The trip can be fulfilling in it's own way.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 10:46:53 AM by BigPrince »

Offline flashover101

• Visitor
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2018, 11:08:58 AM »
Group trip

If I did the Rubicon I would plan my trip to include seeing family, stopping for sight seeing, and getting food from iconic places along the route.  I consider that half the fun and life experience.  After the 5th time through you get a bit tired of the Kansas flatness but the first time seeing and experiencing that is awesome.  The night sky being lit up by flashing red beacons on all the wind turbines as far as you can see.  The soul moving beautiful drive from Denver to Grand Junction on I70.  The engine roar on the run up Eisenhower pass.  The quirky weird ambiance, delicious breakfast, and great friends all around one table in Leadville (and subsequent almost passing out just walking down the street from the thin air). The Moab meals from folks who traveled there brought from all over - Texas Brisket from Driftwood Tx, KC BBQ from the #1 KC BBQ joint, St Louis style pizza from STL, low country boil with crawdads and shrimp from Mississippi.  The massive Texas sized steak lunch with great friends.  The trip can be fulfilling in it's own way.
Well said Don...When I go, I will be driving and doing the same. So much to see and do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike
2014 JK

Offline thetastelingers

• Visitor
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2018, 11:17:29 AM »
Group trip

Plus the $ airfare and as much as 30 days on the front end and back end without your rig for the lowest cost.  The vehicle changes carriers in carrier hubs like freight.  A direct haul is much more expensive.  I am in CA frequently and the cost to have my rig meet me there is just nuts.

Good points.

So.... Caravan to Rubicon? LOL
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 11:18:25 AM by thetastelingers »
------------------------------------------------------------------
If at once you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2018, 11:22:25 AM »
Group trip

Well said Don...When I go, I will be driving and doing the same. So much to see and do.

I agree with Don's points.  In addition, I like the idea of having my own trailer and all of my spare parts/tools with me.  I've only done the trip west once last year and I really enjoyed the convoy approach.  The biggest lesson learned for me would be to have a co-pilot in the truck to share some driving time (particularly on the trip back home).
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2018, 12:07:19 PM »
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2018, 12:21:43 PM »
I agree John....especially about the co-pilot.
The trip back is when I had to let my daughter drive some.
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2018, 05:09:57 PM »
Well it's on my wife's bucket list so I've got a good shot of pulling it off. Probably two or three years out for us. We would be taking two weeks off and enjoying the drive when we go.
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2018, 05:56:30 PM »
This guy has a couple of videos on the Rubicon but I like how this one highlights preparations.
 I will also need to acquire a drone before going out there. Amazing views.

/>

Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline flashover101

• Visitor
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2018, 06:24:48 PM »
This guy has a couple of videos on the Rubicon but I like how this one highlights preparations.
 I will also need to acquire a drone before going out there. Amazing views.

/>
I subscribe and enjoy his channel. He just did the Trail this year.

Mike
2014 JK

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM