BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Let’s talk LJ’s  (Read 895 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Let’s talk LJ’s
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 06:11:24 AM »
TJ was ten years, but more like 11 due to no 96 version.  Jk was 12 years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Bruce

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 06:34:29 AM »
a couple things I think are advantages
Less electronics to get in the way
The narrower width is nice to reach from side to side inside the rig
I do like the gas tank placement over the JK as well, easier to link
Simple body lines

kind of neutral stuff
suspension mods could arguably be easier, but many many mods have been worked to for the JK/U platform as well.

Disadvantages, it seems less and less items are being made for the platform. 
While I decide what jeep is going to leave and what is going to stay.  I am finding less and less TJ/LJ stuff, or stuff as I recall was available.  But that is part of the aging process of a platform. 
Thinking the limited run will make the LJ harder to find aftermarket support.

To be honest,I was trying to find a decent LJ when I picked up the JKU.  I could not find one that I wanted to pay for.  Then my dad started having issues with his truck.  I started looking at LJs again for him.  I found one or two, with too high of a price.  Then the price dropped on one that made it close to my budget.  I went and drove it and offered them less than I thought they would take.  They said yes and I was thinking ohhhhh sh, I guess I just bought another jeep.

Now I sit with the dilemma, I don't need all three, I don't want all three.  Which one to sell, or which two to sell.  Heck even which three to sell.

My somewhat off topic reply.
Bruce
03 TJR
04.5 Dodge CTD
05 LJR
2017 JKU

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 08:24:04 AM »
Narrow TJ/LJ body is definitely an advantage on the trail over the JK,

I feel like that’s LJ propaganda.  The body is 5” narrower but I prefer the additional shoulder room and have never seen an obstacle and think, man my body is 5” too wide. There are advantages of no b-pillar which is more 2dr vs 4dr and advantages of shorter body length, but I don’t see it being a big deal for width at the body.

The width that could matter is the axle width but everyone changes to tons that are the nearly same width anyway so that seems almost moot also.

At the end of the day I think it’s about styling, finding the sweet spot in length of the body, and feeling special that only 3yrs were made versus 8? Years of the TJ and 10 years for a JK than anything else.

I'm thinking whenever there is lean, take a trail like Upper Heldirado, narrower makes a big difference, even with windshield down and no B pillar, due to the tight spaces and the lean.

Offline BigPrince

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2018, 09:49:17 AM »

I feel like that’s LJ propaganda.  The body is 5” narrower but I prefer the additional shoulder room and have never seen an obstacle and think, man my body is 5” too wide. There are advantages of no b-pillar which is more 2dr vs 4dr and advantages of shorter body length, but I don’t see it being a big deal for width at the body.

The width that could matter is the axle width but everyone changes to tons that are the nearly same width anyway so that seems almost moot also.

At the end of the day I think it’s about styling, finding the sweet spot in length of the body, and feeling special that only 3yrs were made versus 8? Years of the TJ and 10 years for a JK than anything else.

I'm thinking whenever there is lean, take a trail like Upper Heldirado, narrower makes a big difference, even with windshield down and no B pillar, due to the tight spaces and the lean.

That trail turn obstacle is about not having a b-pillar which is more 2dr vs 4dr. 

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2018, 09:51:40 AM »

That trail turn obstacle is about not having a b-pillar which is more 2dr vs 4dr.
So the comparison is TJ UNLIMITED vs JK LIMITED?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2018, 09:17:07 PM »

It would also matter in carnage canyon on the waterfall

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2018, 11:17:03 PM »
It would also matter in carnage canyon on the waterfall

One of the JK guys is going to have to start that trail before we can know for sure!
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM