BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Tragic off-road accident  (Read 648 times)

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Tragic off-road accident
« on: October 01, 2018, 09:06:33 AM »
This is a tragedy...but a good time to remind everyone to remember your safety protocols.

http://www.dailyindependent.com/news/indiana-man-killed-in-boyd-off-road-accident/article_2f5a239c-c4d5-11e8-a9e4-4f81631fc756.html

Offline BigPrince

• Visitor
Re: Tragic off-road accident
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 09:41:37 AM »
damn, y'all please be safe. 

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 09:52:11 AM »
That’s horrible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobby

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
Tragic off-road accident
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 11:04:52 AM »
That’s terrible

Heavy duty wheel chocks might not be a bad thing to add to the trail bag.
Jay

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 11:12:20 AM »
That’s terrible

Heavy duty wheel chocks might not be a bad thing to add to the trail bag.
E brake, winch/strap, getting to level ground, chock with big rocks

I'm not sure what went wrong; The other driveshaft "should" have kept the vehicle parked.  Something to keep in mind though when that happens. 
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 12:43:16 PM »
I half-expected to read about a lack of seatbelt

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 12:49:52 PM »
This is so unfortunate.
The number of times I see us trying to figure out where or how someone is stuck and the number of people behind and beside rigs in stuck in that position...I'm just glad I'm not reading about one of us.

We should all use this as an example to practice better safely precautions.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 04:09:28 PM »
This is so unfortunate.
The number of times I see us trying to figure out where or how someone is stuck and the number of people behind and beside rigs in stuck in that position...I'm just glad I'm not reading about one of us.

Yeah, but we would (at very least) have hooked the winch to a tree, or moved it to flat ground and e-braked it. For the most part our guys have the experience and knowledge to not handle the situation this way. Sh't happens though. I'm sure this situation got out of hand before they even knew what happened. Very sad.
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 06:11:04 PM »
This is so unfortunate.

Yeah, but we would (at very least) have hooked the winch to a tree, or moved it to flat ground and e-braked it. For the most part our guys have the experience and knowledge to not handle the situation this way. Sh't happens though. I'm sure this situation got out of hand before they even knew what happened. Very sad.
I agree.  This is sad.  I feel our group has been through some pretty hairy recovery situations and we always keep safety in mind.  The collective experience among this group is reassuring when you're faced with a challenge.  I have no idea if alcohol was involved, but that's another reason to keep the alcohol for the campfire and be able to think clearly on the trail.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 08:31:50 AM »
 According to what I read a few days ago, He put it park and climbed under the rig and it popped out of gear.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 10:12:25 AM »
According to what I read a few days ago, He put it park and climbed under the rig and it popped out of gear.

almost had this happen to me at Hale Mtn once. I had an XJ with cutting brakes on the rear, which one side had gone bad and wouldnt release after pulling that side lever. I had to get out several times to pop the bleeder on the caliper to get it to roll again. I got frustrated on an obstacle after doing a little bouncing and jumped out, chocked the rears and climbed under the back to bleed it off and continue, however I did not notice in my aggravation the tcase had jumped out of 4wd. The moment I popped the bleeder the jeep creaked and I barely rolled out from under it in time to watch it take off down the hill backward with my at the time GF in the passenger seat. It ran over a couple saplings before it found a big enough oak to stop it, she was fine, but I was freaked out bad enough to go back, load it, and head home. Lesson learned the hard way, this story kinda takes me back and hits home, coulda been me that day. Prayers for this dudes friends and family.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM