BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Jeep Jk - Power Steering  (Read 762 times)

Offline PurpleJeepXJ

• Visitor
Jeep Jk - Power Steering
« on: November 14, 2018, 11:01:57 AM »
I have a 2013 Jeep Jk Sport and over the last couple off road trips my power steering seems to go in and out after i have been on the trails for a while. I did some other forum searching and from what i can tell power steering either works or doesn't. Not in my case as it goes in and out once the system is hot. I have checked the fluid level, belt tension, and for leaks... everything checks out. What could be the issue? hot fluid getting thinned out? I just got past the dreaded Jeep JK cam shaft position sensor debacle and now this... But hey it is a Jeep and can go anywhere.
2013 JK Sport. TF 3.5" Suspension Lift. TF Swaybar Disconnects. 33" BFG M/T. Rock Crawler Style Front Bumper. Rough Country Crawler HD Rear Bumper. Rock Sliders. XHD Low Profile Snorkel. Smitty Winch. Lights.

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
Re: Jeep Jk - Power Steering
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 12:23:04 PM »
From what I have researched this is common with JK's especially with larger tires. Apparently, its caused due to low rpm's and the pump doesn't move enough fluid to compensate. The easiest fix is to install hydro-assist.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 12:38:39 PM »
I've had the same issue.  I think it boils the fluid and creates air bubbles and loss of PS.  Usually a loud whine ensues.  Add a cooler that will also add capacity.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 12:39:25 PM by DOUG »

Offline PurpleJeepXJ

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 01:19:43 PM »
I was thinking a cooler because that is a fairly inexpensive solution. Not sure how much the hydro assist stuff is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 JK Sport. TF 3.5" Suspension Lift. TF Swaybar Disconnects. 33" BFG M/T. Rock Crawler Style Front Bumper. Rough Country Crawler HD Rear Bumper. Rock Sliders. XHD Low Profile Snorkel. Smitty Winch. Lights.

Offline j3ff3ry_j33p

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 01:24:09 PM »
what Doug said; adding a larger cooler can help alleviate some of the limitations by increasing the amount of PS fluid ; that is what it is...the factory steering pump is just not able to handle the abuse of larger that stock tires over long period of time and will give up the ghost. assisted steering is the cure. PSC has just the performance pump kit and that HD JK steering gear that many report better results with but if you do that , IMO , may as well get the entire PSC solution with a ram.
Jeffery
ºlllllllº '11 JKUs
▀lllllll▀ '95 XJ

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 09:56:50 AM »
Several of us run the West Texas Off Road kit. Its considerably less expensive than the PSC System. There are several options from porting and rebuilding your box to buy a new re-manufactured box.

https://www.westtexasoffroad.com/

Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 01:58:15 PM »
I have the stock setup with 37’s.  I want hydro assist but haven’t done it yet.  I’ve never had an issue with the PS on the street.  I flushed the system this past Spring, added a cooler and also a PS filter. 

Offline TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 02:01:15 PM »
I installed the WTOR kit myself. It has a little bit of lag compared to the PSC system, but was killer on the rocks (and less than half the price)
Travis Macdonald
Crossthreading is nature's locktite

Offline flashover101

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 02:01:29 PM »
I have the stock setup with 37’s.  I want hydro assist but haven’t done it yet.  I’ve never had an issue with the PS on the street.  I flushed the system this past Spring, added a cooler and also a PS filter.
Weakest part of my JK is the steering as well. Just not quite ready to spend the dough on hydro. Have you had problems with steering while locked when crawling after installing the 37’s?

Mike
2014 JK

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 02:23:07 PM »
Weakest part of my JK is the steering as well. Just not quite ready to spend the dough on hydro. Have you had problems with steering while locked when crawling after installing the 37’s?

Yes.  Had the same issue with 35’s too.

Offline j3ff3ry_j33p

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 02:42:11 PM »

That's what finally pushed me over to get the rest of the awful expensive PSC setup; I had destroyed 2 OEM steering gears on 35s,37s so the 3rd replacement I shucked-out for the PSC gear that had the hydro assist ports. I ran capped-off w/Fox ATS & steering/trackbar brace for a year but got locked up pretty good several times this season on our rides. It's no fun having these guys all instructing you to "turn passenger !" & Not being able to. [no]
So, I bent-over & took a reaming buying the reminder of the system ( ram, resi, hose upgrades , blah blah )ala cart from PSC.

I'll tell ya what ; it's not cheap but that first time you can crank whichever way your spotter tells you to is absolutely the point where you understand the investment. I could have gone WTO but didn't wanna change the steering tactile or response at all ( for when I do run it on road) .

FWIW, I have spoken w/ them &  West Texas Offroad knows their business just as well as PSC. It is pretty much a subjective preference.

Steering is important. Like tires , I can't justify anything but the best performer & sometimes it's 'spensive

(edit: this opinion /experience I responded with is 100% because the JKs steering blows, big-time. )
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 02:45:15 PM by j3ff3ry_j33p »
Jeffery
ºlllllllº '11 JKUs
▀lllllll▀ '95 XJ

Offline BigPrince

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 05:20:53 PM »
It's no fun having these guys all instructing you to "turn passenger !" & Not being able to. [no]

I don't know what you're talking about, right @DOUG @jc79

Steering is important. Like tires , I can't justify anything but the best performer & sometimes it's 'spensive

I 100% agree with this.  I have been VERY happy with my PSC Hydro Assist.  I will never wait as long as I did this time to do hydro assist (or full) in the future.

The above spotter note is in reference to me yelling at one of our awesome spotters in Moab "I CANT" when I was asked to turn driver more on an obstacle.  By the 3rd day of Moab without hydro asssist my shoulders were the sorest part of my body. They hurt when I woke up.  The sticky rocks, lockers, and no hydro assist just don't mix when trying to make the tires move where they don't want to. It didn't crap out right away but I'm pretty sure I wrecked my pump that trip as it gave out in Harlan shortly after. The year after with hydro assist, I could turn any direction I wanted with my pinky.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 05:24:06 PM by BigPrince »

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM