BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: 2019 OPEN Ride Calendar DISCUSSION  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Jk2016Tj1999

• Visitor
Re: 2019 OPEN Ride Calendar DISCUSSION
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 11:10:14 PM »
I've not yet joined in on a ride with y'all and am looking for an opportunity. A little about myself...fairly new to jeeps only had mine for a couple of years. It's a 2 door jk lifted on 35s. No lockers, Winch recovery gear, rock sliders, CB the basics.

I have ridden Chocco a couple of times, Beasley a couple of times, flat lands, and various FS roads. Most of Chocco is a bit daunting to me, Beasley is more my skill level/pace.

I am not a fan of mud bogging too hard to clean and things get broken.

It is my daily driver so I need to keep it operational.  I see y'all are doing an open ride in January to Morris mountain. Are there enough trails I would feel comfortable on (not bored) to enjoy the ride? And also enough folks that would be interested in riding the less extreme trails?

I ask because I went with another group to Chocco on my  first vist who ended up only riding the extreme trails and I was left to myself. I ended up bailing out because I did not want to explore my own.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 03:16:14 AM »
We always split into 3 groups....
Hard core (spent the money and use it)
Medium (wants a little more difficult)
Easy (no breakage or body damage)

Yes come on out to Morris Mtn you
will enjoy it. Never any pressure to
try anything if your not comfortable.
Might could catch a seat on a hard
trail with someone and be able to
experience that.
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline Jk2016Tj1999

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 07:50:18 AM »
We always split into 3 groups....
Hard core (spent the money and use it)
Medium (wants a little more difficult)
Easy (no breakage or body damage)

Yes come on out to Morris Mtn you
will enjoy it. Never any pressure to
try anything if your not comfortable.
Might could catch a seat on a hard
trail with someone and be able to
experience that.
That's great. Ok I will see if I can make it.

Offline j3ff3ry_j33p

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2018, 09:32:03 PM »
River Rock is fun. Its a lot bigger than most people think if you know your way around. Steve opens up his shop with tools and welders  to get rigs repaired so you can keep wheeling. Not that far from town either for parts.
A lot of us old-timers have been there several times before Steve closed the place down and built his house.

On of the first parks I ever rode. I remember it being mostly v notches and slick clay/muddy hill climbs though. Don’t remember a lot of rocks

Same.
I hope I didn't over-sell Stoney Lonesome. It has much more flat , fire service like trails except for the 2 Badge of Honor trails ( ez) & a rock garden on steep hillside about the size of a few football fields ...

Stoney would be good only if the same weekend could include hitting Woolys about 45 min North of Stoney up I65. Hit stoney on Fri then haul to woolys or WITC , maybe , on Sat ...
Jeffery
ºlllllllº '11 JKUs
▀lllllll▀ '95 XJ

Offline dyestory

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2018, 11:22:36 PM »
I've not yet joined in on a ride with y'all and am looking for an opportunity. A little about myself...fairly new to jeeps only had mine for a couple of years. It's a 2 door jk lifted on 35s. No lockers, Winch recovery gear, rock sliders, CB the basics.

I have ridden Chocco a couple of times, Beasley a couple of times, flat lands, and various FS roads. Most of Chocco is a bit daunting to me, Beasley is more my skill level/pace.

It is my daily driver so I need to keep it operational.  I see y'all are doing an open ride in January to Morris mountain. Are there enough trails I would feel comfortable on (not bored) to enjoy the ride? And also enough folks that would be interested in riding the less extreme trails?

I ask because I went with another group to Chocco on my  first vist who ended up only riding the extreme trails and I was left to myself. I ended up bailing out because I did not want to explore my own.

I’m a complete novice and have been promising myself a trip with this group. My husband and I are talking about doing a day trip for that weekend so you’ll at least have us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2018, 06:16:47 AM »

Nice rig! 

Come out to Morris.  There will likely be folks who ride the less extreme stuff, and this park has bypasses for almost all of the trails.  I'm not saying it's impossible, or that it hasn't happened in the past to someone, but it would be a rare situation where this club would leave you behind and alone;  At Morris, it is nearly impossible to do since the park is so small.  There are plenty of easy to moderate trails, and pick your poison trails, which can all become challenging if it has recently rained!

The club is in a transitional state on communication technology.  CB is still supported by many people, but we're making a cut to GMRS.  My recommendation is to come as you are (with the CB), and if you decide this club is your style, consider going to GMRS.  Search the threads and you'll find the debate in multiple threads over a long period of time.  I think the rules were recently amended to reflect the indecision/transition, but I'm old so I could be misremembering.

It would be best if you could get a first aid kit and a car fire extinguisher.  I don't think they are mandated for your first ride, but I imagine you'll be coming back for more after this trip.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Jk2016Tj1999

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2018, 12:48:34 PM »
Thanks I have both a first aid kit and extinguisher on board.

Offline Jk2016Tj1999

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2018, 01:30:26 PM »

I’m a complete novice and have been promising myself a trip with this group. My husband and I are talking about doing a day trip for that weekend so you’ll at least have us!

Ok that makes 2 of us.

Offline Michigunman

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2018, 02:01:14 PM »
Just follow #clark123456.  He only rides the easy trails.    lmao
Mark
2003 TJ Sport with some mods
1998 TJ with more mods

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Offline Jk2016Tj1999

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2018, 02:28:03 PM »
Ha! Well easy is subjective, what I consider easy my nephew considers  extreme.

Offline Michigunman

• Visitor
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2018, 07:04:04 PM »

Ha ha, seriously though, don't follow Clark, just don't ..... yet.  :)
Mark
2003 TJ Sport with some mods
1998 TJ with more mods

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Offline Chris36l

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2018, 09:18:14 PM »

Ha ha, seriously though, don't follow Clark, just don't ..... yet.  :)
Or ever....

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM