BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Small business ideas.  (Read 767 times)

Offline ranier1315

• Visitor
    • Flameshots Photography
Small business ideas.
« on: December 01, 2018, 02:07:33 PM »
I'm thinking of starting back in to landscaping again but the market seems to be saturated with low priced/quality providers. That is definitely not who I am but it will make start up slow. I do have experience and have run a company for over 10 years but the market seems different this time.

I have thought about dustless blasting but I'm not sure of the demand. Is there a strong demand for sand blasting? Of course the franchise options all make it sound like there is business around every corner but I wanted to get this group's opinion on this.

Any input would be appreciated.

Marc.
Marc, Tracy, Jordan, and Tyler Allen

"Some women are like scooters, you have fun ridding them, you just wouldn't want your buddies to see you ridding them......" - A very wise man.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Small business ideas.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 03:44:25 PM »
I had a quote from the dude that cuts the neighborhood next to my house, and I wouldn't consider it low cost, but the quality looks good and he is consistently there.  I think he wanted $70 per week to cut my 3/4 acre lot.  It might take him 30 minutes to cut it each time at a rate of once per week.  I didn't accept the offer.  I can cut it on my 20 year old 48" deck Sears lawn tractor in 45 minutes if I haven't let it get too high.  I am low cost, but also low quality and low consistency.  I wasn't looking for edging, tree trimming, or bush pruning.  $280 per month was too much for me.

Explain the sand blasting opportunities.  I can't think of too many times I've needed a sand blaster, that I know of.  What would you blast?
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline ranier1315

• Visitor
    • Flameshots Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 03:49:42 PM »
I had a quote from the dude that cuts the neighborhood next to my house, and I wouldn't consider it low cost, but the quality looks good and he is consistently there.  I think he wanted $70 per week to cut my 3/4 acre lot.  It might take him 30 minutes to cut it each time at a rate of once per week.  I didn't accept the offer.  I can cut it on my 20 year old 48" deck Sears lawn tractor in 45 minutes if I haven't let it get too high.  I am low cost, but also low quality and low consistency.  I wasn't looking for edging, tree trimming, or bush pruning.  $280 per month was too much for me.

Explain the sand blasting opportunities.  I can't think of too many times I've needed a sand blaster, that I know of.  What would you blast?
Yeah, you wouldn't be my level of customer. (that's not a Clark joke) I only do high end jobs that require complete and full service. My average customer was $300/month. That's the problem. I will have to take the smaller jobs at first to pay the bills and the smaller jobs don't seem to be paying what they used to. Thanks for the input.
Marc, Tracy, Jordan, and Tyler Allen

"Some women are like scooters, you have fun ridding them, you just wouldn't want your buddies to see you ridding them......" - A very wise man.

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 07:12:59 PM »
I have a friend that only cuts and trims churches. He said they pay well and typically the overall yardage is less than residential.
Sandblasting? Typically our powder coat guys take care of anything that needs sandblasting. I would be skeptical of the business model for sandblasting. Call a few powder coat painters and ask how much sandblasting they use.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 09:14:19 AM »
Blasting here at my shop runs $150pr hr, with a $150 setup fee. We use crushed glass, medium grit it feels pretty close to sugar sand to the touch, doesnt cut skin like youd think when you hear glass. Its "safer and healthier" than silica sand and much easier to clean for paint than soda. Ours is by far not dust free, we do what we can to keep the dust down, but its done outside so theres not much hope. As far as business model, we dont have near enough to pay the bills, but the equipment is payed for and we havent had to outsource that part for years, it used to cost anywhere from $12-1800 to have a car stripped for reference. Our setup is mobile and we have done jobs offsite, with a haul fee and extra setup time added. I would imagine the startup for something like that would be super expensive, our Kaeser compressor that the rig runs off of cost $15k and up for used, then you gotta get the hopper and the rest of the setup.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 10:44:26 AM »
Open a liquor store.  Always a demand no matter what the economy is doing.  I’ll take 5%.  Thanks

Offline BigPrince

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 10:53:49 AM »
Open a liquor store.  Always a demand no matter what the economy is doing.  I’ll take 5%.  Thanks

Good friend opened a liquor store in TN.  Business is decent but not booming. Main thing I haven't liked that I've heard from him is the constant fear of regulation opening up sales to Grocery Stores or other convenience stores / etc.

While I wouldn't want to make them my fulltime income, I'd love to own or have interests in a liquor store, a gun store, an autoshop, a gym, a bar/club. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 10:57:34 AM by BigPrince »

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 11:07:18 AM »
Funeral home is recession proof.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 12:41:03 PM »
Selling light bars and angry eyes
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 01:15:01 PM »

Good friend opened a liquor store in TN.  Business is decent but not booming. Main thing I haven't liked that I've heard from him is the constant fear of regulation opening up sales to Grocery Stores or other convenience stores / etc.

While I wouldn't want to make them my fulltime income, I'd love to own or have interests in a liquor store, a gun store, an autoshop, a gym, a bar/club. 

Too much moonshine in TN. LOL

I don’t see liquor ever being sold in a grocery store in GA, but then again, Costco has it.  Another downfall with a new liquor store is allocation.  If you don’t buy enough from the wholesaler, you won’t get the stuff everyone wants.

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 01:26:48 PM »
I would suggest looking around at other businesses that you think you could improve to differentiate yourself or something that you are really passionate about.

I’d also like to start a business eventually, but I’m not ready yet.
Jay

Online Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 02:08:36 PM »
Funeral home is recession proof.
Everyone is dying to get in.

Hospitals, daycares & old folks homes will never hurt for bidness

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM