BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Morris Mountain 2019 - Pics, videos, stories and whatnot  (Read 2387 times)

Offline j3ff3ry_j33p

• Visitor
Re: Morris Mountain 2019 - Pics, videos, stories and whatnot
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2019, 04:32:02 PM »
Finally got to inspect what low hanging fruit those rocks were hitting and thinking I should count the driveshaft as a suspension link with the abuse it took and didn't give in.

Hey, buddy; the flange touched a wee bit for a second so that musta been when somebody else was spottin'...yo...oh; I was the only spotter , huh?
 [help]

lmao
Jeffery
ºlllllllº '11 JKUs
▀lllllll▀ '95 XJ

Offline ILOVEDIRT

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2019, 04:59:28 PM »
I'm thinking maybe it was the loose nut behind the wheel. Can't complain I got half way up before I got stuck on both diffs, some control arms and the driveshaft.  Noting broke(if you don't count center caps lol ) so that's a win in my book.
Drew Mumford

Offline longarmwj

• Visitor
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2019, 05:04:48 PM »
I'm thinking maybe it was the loose nut behind the wheel. Can't complain I got half way up before I got stuck on both diffs, some control arms and the driveshaft.  Noting broke(if you don't count center caps lol ) so that's a win in my book.
Did we get stuck in the same spot????? If so then I feel accomplished lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan
03 WJ - The Minivan
17 JKU - The Other Minivan

Offline j3ff3ry_j33p

• Visitor
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2019, 05:47:17 PM »
At the time I was worried of course but in retrospect, those caps made the most satisfying crunch sounds thst I've probably ever heard.  [salute]
Jeffery
ºlllllllº '11 JKUs
▀lllllll▀ '95 XJ

Offline j3ff3ry_j33p

• Visitor
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2019, 07:00:13 PM »
Serious carnage!

Finally got around to lying beneath her to assess whatever needs it after our suprrfast Morris Mountain ride last Saturday .  I was gonna go early this mornin down to the river & drop 3-4 Carolina rigs down in there n try for some catfish but would you believe it rained ?  [no2]

So I went out to garage...

...where after only 2 minutes I noticed something wasn't right in the pssgr wheelwell:

.. had even popped one of my zipties that support the fender liner:

New tires have a wider edge lugs than the previous tires. The bigger edge lugs on 'em  musta caught on the little corner whenever that side was stuffed up in the fender-well.

needing less corner I decided to try the Dremel  :

... failed w/ sheetmetal eating the Dremel cutting disk, so  I grabbed the 4" :

...flapped + sanded =  something like this on both sides:

you know what was next :

...ill affix a new ziptie to liner & after letting the trimmed  edges' touch-up enamel dry, I'll tape that little lamp &  hit it with some high heat Rust-Oleum flat black & call it fixed.

Pretty hardcore repair there , huh?
Jeffery
ºlllllllº '11 JKUs
▀lllllll▀ '95 XJ

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2019, 08:22:53 PM »
Those things need to be in the trash.

Offline Chris36l

• Visitor
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2019, 08:29:25 AM »
It’s nice to have something blocking the mud and spray from the tires from reaching the engine bay. I ran with mine off for a week and regret it immediately.

Offline j3ff3ry_j33p

• Visitor
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2019, 09:38:50 AM »
@Big Dave I've considered that I threw the rears away back in 2012) many,many times.
I've looked at nemesis and Artec or Motobilt inner fender solutions but never can bring myself to spend $200 or more per wheelwell.

None would be a consideration if we lived out in dry , arid , "proper" rock crawling region but - I refuse to soapbox rant about how deeply I hate the weather these days - instead we live in this lovely, boglike , waterlogged bottom corner of the US so like @Chris36l mentioned , it's rediculous but necessary to block bathing the sensitive jk electronics or glowing manifolds from mud.

Yeah, they are held together with RTV and Zipties but absolutely keep red clay mud off my vitals. I am gonna get the VKS or Nemesis liners someday but till then these will do plus I don't care about it looking good or not.
Jeffery
ºlllllllº '11 JKUs
▀lllllll▀ '95 XJ

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2019, 03:05:28 PM »
It’s nice to have something blocking the mud and spray from the tires from reaching the engine bay. I ran with mine off for a week and regret it immediately.

Ahh.. didn't realize it served a actual purpose.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM