BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: KOH / JV  (Read 321 times)

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
KOH / JV
« on: February 13, 2019, 04:08:25 AM »
What an adventure I had in the desert and first time that I have been. I flew out to LA on Thursday afternoon but did not get a chance to see many of the sights as I wanted to, but I will visit the area at some point.
We left early Friday morning to get to KOH without being stuck in traffic but that quickly changed when we went to get gas for his Cherokee (it was being towed). The gasket for the pump was pinched and was pouring gallons of fuel out on the trailer and ground. We had to wait until Advance was open to tear it apart and put a new gasket.
Got to KOH close to 10am and meet up with some folks we were supposed to hang out with, Johnson Valley Crawlers. He has a 1 ton Cherokee on 37” reds and most of the group had Toyotas that did very well. We ran turkey claw and then dropped in behind the gatekeeper on blueberry. After that, we walked around in Hammertown and saw a few people come across the finish line.
Later on Friday night, we went out to look at backdoor but it backed up with people on it. We did one trail that night but I forgot the name. After that, we were turned around and ended way out in the desert around 3am with 1/4th tank of gas. Instead running out of gas and still lost in the dark, we slept, froze (23 degrees), hung out in the Cherokee with no heat and missing 2 doors. I have not been so cold for such a long period was I in JV those few days. At sun up, we went back to camp to get food at Big Bear, which is a 25-minute ride away, and snowing.
After lunch we road Sunbonnet pass which was a lot of fun. Getting from trail to trail can be a 10-minute ride to the ones that are way out there are a good 25 minutes or so. Unlike the east, trails can take 30 minutes if you are constantly moving or hours with a larger group. There is plenty of traction and I would have good suspension out there. I would want to be able to get from trail to trail around 40 mph or so and to do so; an individual would need more that 3” up travel like the ones you see on the east. Balanced suspension would be great.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: KOH / JV
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 04:09:20 AM »
Nice portal set up

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 04:10:02 AM »
Backdoor and Big Bear

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 04:10:53 AM »
Sunbonnet Pass

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 04:14:06 AM »
We had 2 utv on 32" that followed us through Sunbonnet pass and didnt pull rope. They drove and didnt destroy them either.

These are random pics. Going through the desert is mostly 2' whoops and some things that will jack your day up if you dont checkup. There are big whoops as well but the average moving through. 

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline thetastelingers

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 07:17:47 AM »
Thanks for sharing! I'm thinking of hitting up KOH next year as a spectator.
------------------------------------------------------------------
If at once you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 07:56:48 AM »
Nice write up and thanks for sharing.

The second coldest night for me in the Army was on top of a plateau in the desert. The desert gets cold quick when the sun goes down!

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 09:15:31 AM »
More pics

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 10:31:44 AM »
Very cool trip, Tripp! 

That portal axle is awesome, as is the 4runner on the ramp and not flipping over!

Thanks for sharing.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM