BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Trailer  (Read 998 times)

Offline TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Trailer
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2019, 07:20:49 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with Max Built Trailers? This seems like a pretty good deal "starter" trailer. Going to give ACE a call too and Trailersforless

18', dual brake axles (3500#), removable fenders, flat deck (no lips or dovetail), and 5' ramps. $2,359 out the door

IMO #3500s aint enough. no way getting around the LJ weighing at least 5200# ++, and that trailer will weigh at least 2k, thats 4-500# overweight before you add tool boxes, spares, all that. My 20' PJ unloaded with no boxes or spares weighs close to 3k#, and my old 18' 5lug trailer that was super stripped down weighed 1800#. You need a little wiggle room on a trailer, especially if you plan on making any of the cross country trips or even Harlan or PA honestly.
Changing to 5k axles increases it by $1k. Does that seem right?
My 5200# Dexter axles cost $759 delivered to my work. Plus, you have to figure in tires & wheels @ $75 each (Amazon).

So $1k for the “upgrade” seems high. Like they’re not giving me any credit for the wheels/axles they’d be using otherwise
Travis Macdonald
Crossthreading is nature's locktite

Online jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2019, 07:47:47 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with Max Built Trailers? This seems like a pretty good deal "starter" trailer. Going to give ACE a call too and Trailersforless

18', dual brake axles (3500#), removable fenders, flat deck (no lips or dovetail), and 5' ramps. $2,359 out the door

IMO #3500s aint enough. no way getting around the LJ weighing at least 5200# ++, and that trailer will weigh at least 2k, thats 4-500# overweight before you add tool boxes, spares, all that. My 20' PJ unloaded with no boxes or spares weighs close to 3k#, and my old 18' 5lug trailer that was super stripped down weighed 1800#. You need a little wiggle room on a trailer, especially if you plan on making any of the cross country trips or even Harlan or PA honestly.
My 5200# Dexter axles cost $759 delivered to my work. Plus, you have to figure in tires & wheels @ $75 each (Amazon).

So $1k for the “upgrade” seems high. Like they’re not giving me any credit for the wheels/axles they’d be using otherwise
IMO, $1k more for the 5200# axles with brakes on both seems reasonable.  I wouldn’t get anything less than the 5200# axles. I would want to check into the construction of the trailer as compared with some of the other well known brands for comparison.  Just my $.02.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2019, 07:51:35 PM »
Yes love my PJ B5 buggy hauler.  Mine is 20’ flat deck no dove.  Like Justin said I am happy with the deal I got at the time and felt like it was the best value with the axles and trailer width and drive over fenders. 

Load trail makes a nice trailer and very similar to PJ
Bobby

Online Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2019, 08:22:14 PM »

$1135 total for brakes on both & 5 decent, cheap tires. $1k is a good deal.

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2019, 09:38:54 PM »
You gotta remember also the new tariffs that Trump put in place has driven steel prices up substantially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2019, 08:54:07 AM »
You gotta remember also the new tariffs that Trump put in place has driven steel prices up substantially.

dammit, dont give Clark that ammo
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2019, 08:57:10 AM »

dammit, dont give Clark that ammo

All's good. There just blanks.
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

Offline TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2019, 09:10:48 AM »
Doesn't look like I'm going to be able to find one before this weekend and need to move the Jeep and axles. Anyone have a trailer I can borrow until Tuesday? Preferably Cumming or closer since I'll be solo Dad most of the weekend. Looked at renting a U Haul trailer but it doesn't look like I'll have enough room to load the Jeep and the axles. Can pay in $ or  [beer]
Travis Macdonald
Crossthreading is nature's locktite

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2019, 09:31:52 AM »
Travis you can borrow mine and I can get that track bar from you.
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM