BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Rausch Creek 2019: Stories, Lies, Pics, and Carnage  (Read 964 times)

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Re: Rausch Creek 2019: Stories, Lies, Pics, and Carnage
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 02:15:14 PM »

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 02:36:05 PM »
Beautiful drive home

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 06:30:03 PM »
Tremont

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2019, 09:00:27 PM »
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2019, 09:01:49 PM »
It was a long trip....trail photos are coming soon...
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2019, 10:42:00 PM »
Such a great trip (thanks, Jay, for putting it together) with awesome people.

My quick summary:

I left Augusta Wednesday night just after 6 PM, and with a 2 hour "nap" in Harrisonburg around 1:30am, met the group in time for breakfast and groceries at 8am Thursday morning. Had a solid day of trails in perfect, dry weather.

These rocks are killer. They are super tacky and provided tons of traction, with huge boulders and slabs littering the 3,000 acre park. On a slightly negative note, the blues suck. There are just enough large rocks that you have to go slow, but they're small enough that there is zero challenge and really just an annoyance. We learned to stick to primarily the red trails, the blacks, and blast between obstacles and trails on the greens. Most of the reds contained rock gardens and multiple routes. There were a few where you could literally spend several hours and hit multiple lines. Right next to the front office was a competition rock crawling course. We played there Thursday and again Friday evening after the rain/flood went away. (Ok, so not really a flood, but it rained all day from 2am until around 5:30, with torrential rain, wind and thunderstorms around 4. All of us were soaked head to toe while trying to hold the pop up tents down. Luckily, 30mph gusts dries stuff quickly)

Friday we went to the Yuengling brewery for a tour and lunch somewhere in town to kill some time while it rained. Cool place, lots of history. I'll include a few of those pics too.

Friday evening after the rain shit-show, we go to the obstacle course and are surprised to see it's mostly dry. We can hit all the same lines as before, including a few steep slabs that would have been impossible down here after that much rain. The park dries amazingly well and the rocks still grip like they did Thursday.

Saturday we roll out in the morning during some FJ convention. Those guys are weird... guessing it just a Toyota thing.

By the time we pull out of the parking lot Sat morning, its literally dusty. We head to the other side of the park and continue to hit every red trail we can, which is easy to do because they have this awesome free GPS map to download that tracks your direction, speed, and location on the map. We crush some trails, eat lunch, continue to crush trails, head back for gas and to the other side of the park, then crush more trails.

I'm sure I left some stuff out, and I'll add pictures later.

Carnage report, from what I recall:
Tony- nothing
Sam- nothing
Jay- snagged brake line end of Saturday (pretty much nothing)
Patrick- nothing
Justin- nothing
Clark- fuel pump overheated pulling into parking lot Saturday evening when we were quitting (so... close to nothing)

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2019, 11:07:57 PM »
^^ Sounds like an awesome trip.  Nice recap.  Although I'm imagining some of those words as pictures, and it becomes an even better recap! 
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2019, 09:35:17 AM »
Thursday pics

Comp course
Jotter's Way
Cemetary
Stair Step

???

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2019, 09:40:12 AM »
Pat's recap was spot on.

The park is amazing and well worth the tow there..but don't let Waze fool you into thinking it's a 12 hour trip.  It is a 13 hour trip and then some.  It is a fairly leisurely tow though, you basically run I-81 through a valley all the way up to Pa.

The rocks were very different than anything I had seen before, very, very grippy...there was both slab rock and boulders.  Hands down, the way this park drains was mind boggling.  The park had to have taken 4 inches of rain on Friday.  On Saturday, it was like it hadn't rained there in a month, it was fantastic.

We crushed many trails and Justin didn't fight any yankees, so it was a very successful trip.

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2019, 09:51:17 AM »

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2019, 10:01:37 AM »
Awesome pics.  Looks like a great park.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2019, 10:10:09 AM »
Anyone want to talk about the cost?

This is just slightly below Colorado as my favorite place to wheel, and above Moab overall ( I still love BFE (r.I.p.) and Pritchett's).  The amenities are ridiculous considering the cost, but the trails are amazing and plentiful.  The drive, while long, is pretty freaking easy going and coming.  I think stopping every 2.5 hours was great for getting a stretch and urinating...I'd did that model again.

There was more than one time I thought I was going to lay the rig over again (one trail was almost 100% off camber to the driver's side going the direction we went).  I know I felt the passenger's side lift of completely one time, but I settled it down.  The rig on Thursday and Friday felt more stable than I've ever had it feel, especially on steep inclines.  The Treps blew my mind at this park...you could tell the difference between them and non comp tires, whereas I usually don't get that at the other Southeast parks.  I dragged front and rear diff the entire trip...very annoying, but it just seemed to slip over everything.

The Comfort Inn is close, and relatively cheap, with super comfy beds, but they used steel pipe for the water lines, so you need to brush your teeth with bottled water (ask me how I know), and you might come out of the shower dirtier than you went in.

Carnage:  I recall Pat busting a hydro hose and Justin bouncing his battery out of a physically secured lock down...impressive!  I have some debug to do on my fuel situation; many thanks to Loki (and Justin) for dragging me back to my trailer.  Major scrape down my driver's run rail on the corner armor. 

One of the best trips ever, and I am glad I ran my self crazy to get my crap in order to go.  The crew on this trip was great, of course.  Great BBQ provided by Sam on Thursday night, excellent pizza near the brewery, and fantastic wings at some place near the hotel on Saturday.  Don't count on uber or Lyft to get you back to the hotel if you take them to town...thanks to Pat and tc for working out a way to get us back to the hotel.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM