BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Jesse Combs  (Read 641 times)

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
Re: Jesse Combs
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2019, 12:18:52 AM »
yeah, 450-500mph is a pretty rare velocity to roll across the ground at.
Even though she wasn't in the air, the incident is the same as a commercial airliner crashing!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2019, 08:58:13 PM »
I posted this last night but then deleted it this morning because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to say anything. But it's ok.

I talked with a friend that is involved in off road racing and he's friends with Jessi and her family.

Jessi did make a complete run but, in order for it to be counted as a record, it has to be run twice. She was in her second run and just as she hit full speed the car came apart.

Her fiance (Terry) had posted that they did everything they could do to try and save her. Apparently, there wasn't anything to save. The car broke up into pieces and was spread over a mile long.

Both of her parents were out on the lakebed watching all of this take place as well. I can't even imagine losing a kid but, to watch it happen right in front of you would just be too much.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline BigPrince

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2019, 09:34:41 PM »
Damn...

Offline j3ff3ry_j33p

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2019, 01:56:06 PM »
yikes. I had not heard those details. that is pretty rough.
Jeffery
ºlllllllº '11 JKUs
▀lllllll▀ '95 XJ

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2019, 02:17:28 PM »
Damn I didn't know she had to run twice. That's kinda crazy to put a machine to the test like that, then expect it to happen flawlessly twice... Theres no room for error at 485 mph. Just terrible. She was super tallented and a hero to many.
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2019, 02:21:06 PM »
Damn I didn't know she had to run twice. That's kinda crazy to put a machine to the test like that, then expect it to happen flawlessly twice... Theres no room for error at 485 mph. Just terrible. She was super tallented and a hero to many.

I think official speed attempts require 2 passes, one there and one back within a certain time frame. This keeps people from cherry picking somewhere with a slight decline and tailwind since the 2 runs are averaged together (from what I recall reading about another cars top speed claim)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2019, 04:24:19 PM »

I think official speed attempts require 2 passes, one there and one back within a certain time frame. This keeps people from cherry picking somewhere with a slight decline and tailwind since the 2 runs are averaged together (from what I recall reading about another cars top speed claim)
That makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2019, 04:51:24 PM »

That makes sense.

I think its makes no sense with the amount of risk involved.
If you attempt a Guinness World record do you have to do it twice & they take the average?

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2019, 04:56:54 PM »

That makes sense.

I think its makes no sense with the amount of risk involved.
If you attempt a Guinness World record do you have to do it twice & they take the average?
LMGTFY

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2019, 06:03:02 PM »
I understand the rule but it doesn't make it right.

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Jesse Combs
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2019, 07:45:35 PM »
I understand the rule but it doesn't make it right.

Actually, it kinda does make it right. 

Everyone knows the rules.  Everyone plays by the rules.  When someone breaks a record, you know they did it right. 

The fact that Jessi perished during the second run is an absolute tragedy.  But I seriously doubt she made that first hot run and then bitched about the requirement to run it back.

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2019, 10:54:20 PM »
The rule definitely makes since and it makes the record ligitimate, I was just saying it's a lot to put that machine through when you're talking about speeds of almost 500 mph. I guess it's part of the game though. They built the car knowing it needed two passes.
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM