BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: steering  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
Re: steering
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 06:33:14 AM »
Thanks,  I actually contacted Fortec in Marietta, yesterday, to see if they would be able to correct the steering issues with parts added.  Hopefully i can get it in soon, this drift bothers me.

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 10:46:30 AM »
OK, so i have had the lift on for a few days now and tried to do a little alignment myself, simple toe change and steering wheel straightening. 
I was not able to get the passenger tire to change position but the left moved some, and i was able to get the steering straight up and down.

I feel, when i am driving, like I am walking on ice with slick bottom shoes.  this cannot be normal.  please tell me when i get it aligned i will feel more connected to the road! At this moment i am almost second guessing the install of the lift.

Offline Cannonballkev

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 07:07:24 PM »
Get it aligned and you will be good to go
Get dirty, or get off the trail!

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2019, 04:16:48 PM »
I would suggest paying for the lifetime alignment.....then have checked with each oil change, tire rotation and after a wheeling trip.
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2019, 09:55:14 AM »
thats a great idea, but i am not sure the shop i took it to has that option.

i am still getting a tiny bit of drift to the right.
They said my ball joints have a little play in them, could this be causing the issue?

maybe a bad tie rod and drag link?

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2019, 10:39:17 AM »
thats a great idea, but i am not sure the shop i took it to has that option.

i am still getting a tiny bit of drift to the right.
They said my ball joints have a little play in them, could this be causing the issue?

maybe a bad tie rod and drag link?

did you ever install the trac bars?
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2019, 01:01:20 PM »
I did install a superlift front track bar

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2019, 07:01:12 AM »
OK, let me start this thread back up in hopes of being better informed from some more experienced folks.

Quick recap, I bought the Jeep in May and have been having a slight drift to the right ever since.  I installed a new Superlift front track bar.  I had it professionally aligned at a Jeep shop (Fortec).  They significantly changed the toe, several degrees from out to in.  Felt a little tighter but still slight drift to the right.

Ok, so here we are now, when i look at the tires from the front of the Jeep i notice the passenger tire slightly toed out.  The driver is straight forward.  I dont know how to explain it better than that.  I mean take your hands and point them both straight ahead and then turn the right hand 3 or 4 degrees to the right, and that is what i feel like the tires are doing. 

I feel like i am having to make micro/mini adjustments all the time, like there is play in the steering wheel. 
the guys at fortec said the ball joints are starting to go, and i should plan to replace with the Teraflex HD ball joints (bc they are adjustable while on the Jeep, and the best on the market). 

I feel like if i can get the front tire to point straight most of my issues would be gone.  What could be causing that tire to toe out like that?

Bad drag link?
Bad tie rod?
Bad ball joints?
worn out steering stabilizer?

I just feel like i am skating on ice, especially at speed.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2019, 08:20:57 AM »
I always had both tires toe' in slightly 1/8" or there abouts, not much. For me, I ran Nitto Trail Grapplers which liked to pull slightly left. We tried several things including adding a Fox Stabilizer and found the OEM was better.

Which tires are you running? not all tires are equal. Does it do the same thing if you rotate the back tires to front? How much air are you running? in my 35's every shop would jack up the air to 38-40 psi  made it bouncy and drive like crap. For me 32-34psi was much better. and 12-15psi when wheeling. How many miles on these tires? I find newer tires want to drift more until they settle in. The drift seemed to settle down (or I got used to it) after 5,000 miles or so.

I like Moog and Dyntrac ball joints. I think each shop pushes it own favorite ball joint.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2019, 08:40:43 AM »
Did you see a carfax on the Jeep?

On my TJ rock crawler the front axle was slightly
bent/warped and I always thought one tire leaned
a little but it ran straight down the road.
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2019, 02:16:40 PM »
I always had both tires toe' in slightly 1/8" or there abouts, not much. For me, I ran Nitto Trail Grapplers which liked to pull slightly left. We tried several things including adding a Fox Stabilizer and found the OEM was better.

Which tires are you running? not all tires are equal. Does it do the same thing if you rotate the back tires to front? How much air are you running? in my 35's every shop would jack up the air to 38-40 psi  made it bouncy and drive like crap. For me 32-34psi was much better. and 12-15psi when wheeling. How many miles on these tires? I find newer tires want to drift more until they settle in. The drift seemed to settle down (or I got used to it) after 5,000 miles or so.

I like Moog and Dyntrac ball joints. I think each shop pushes it own favorite ball joint.
I am running Nitto Grappler G2s, at 30 psi but was running higher before the shop recommended 30.
before the alignment it looked toed out and after the alignment it still looked that way, very odd to me.
If i adjust the drag link shouldnt it change the positioning of both tires?
the tires are about half used.  I dont know how many miles have been put on them but the tread looks to be about half gone, and i did rotate them when i installed the lift.

I did not see a carfax on the jeep, there was something like that online from the dealership and i did not notice any repairs or accidents. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 02:17:48 PM by Nu2Jeeps »

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2019, 02:44:46 PM »

I am running Nitto Grappler G2s, at 30 psi but was running higher before the shop recommended 30.
before the alignment it looked toed out and after the alignment it still looked that way, very odd to me.
If i adjust the drag link shouldnt it change the positioning of both tires?
the tires are about half used.  I dont know how many miles have been put on them but the tread looks to be about half gone, and i did rotate them when i installed the lift.

I did not see a carfax on the jeep, there was something like that online from the dealership and i did not notice any repairs or accidents. 

Did the previous owner of the tires say why he was getting rid of them with 1/2 tread left?
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM