SHOP TALK > Wrench Day

steering

<< < (4/24) > >>

tjsahara00:
I would suggest paying for the lifetime alignment.....then have checked with each oil change, tire rotation and after a wheeling trip.

Nu2Jeeps:
thats a great idea, but i am not sure the shop i took it to has that option.

i am still getting a tiny bit of drift to the right.
They said my ball joints have a little play in them, could this be causing the issue?

maybe a bad tie rod and drag link?

8lugLJ:

--- Quote from: Nu2Jeeps on October 31, 2019, 09:55:14 AM ---thats a great idea, but i am not sure the shop i took it to has that option.

i am still getting a tiny bit of drift to the right.
They said my ball joints have a little play in them, could this be causing the issue?

maybe a bad tie rod and drag link?

--- End quote ---

did you ever install the trac bars?

Nu2Jeeps:
I did install a superlift front track bar

Nu2Jeeps:
OK, let me start this thread back up in hopes of being better informed from some more experienced folks.

Quick recap, I bought the Jeep in May and have been having a slight drift to the right ever since.  I installed a new Superlift front track bar.  I had it professionally aligned at a Jeep shop (Fortec).  They significantly changed the toe, several degrees from out to in.  Felt a little tighter but still slight drift to the right.

Ok, so here we are now, when i look at the tires from the front of the Jeep i notice the passenger tire slightly toed out.  The driver is straight forward.  I dont know how to explain it better than that.  I mean take your hands and point them both straight ahead and then turn the right hand 3 or 4 degrees to the right, and that is what i feel like the tires are doing. 

I feel like i am having to make micro/mini adjustments all the time, like there is play in the steering wheel. 
the guys at fortec said the ball joints are starting to go, and i should plan to replace with the Teraflex HD ball joints (bc they are adjustable while on the Jeep, and the best on the market). 

I feel like if i can get the front tire to point straight most of my issues would be gone.  What could be causing that tire to toe out like that?

Bad drag link?
Bad tie rod?
Bad ball joints?
worn out steering stabilizer?

I just feel like i am skating on ice, especially at speed.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version