BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: steering  (Read 2849 times)

Offline TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: steering
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2019, 09:05:19 AM »
My apologies.  We can shut this thread down now.  I will take it to a shop and let them tell me whatever they want to tell me.  I did not get a printout of the alignment but i did stand right next to the tech as he did it and asked several questions.  He said the toe was the worst he had seen and it was about 4-5 degree s out of toe.  He adjusted to the specified numbers he told me he was looking for.  He drove the jeep and said he did not feel the problem. 
I will call and ask for a print out but i do not know what that would say, since i have not looked at one before.  He said it was good and i took him at his word. 

My apologies again for wasting your time, but all of your advice has been taken.  Sorry I cannot run out and leave my job to run to a shop and purchase parts until we correct (or mask the issue enough to give me a fasle sense of security).  I am simply trying to lessen the learning curve and be more informed so when i get to a shop I will be able to tell if tey are blowing smoke.

I will go back to Youtube and see if other people have had this issue and see how they have resolved it. 

Again, please close/delete/lock this thread.
Keith - don't take the directness as a desire to not help. Unfortunately without measurements there isn't much anyone can tell you and the alignment printout is the best way to get accurate measurements. People can speculate based off of pictures, but you'll just end up chasing your tail and possibly throwing money at something that isn't an issue. If you can get the printout from the alignment shop and post a picture of it here, you'll get a much better answer or at least be able to rule some things out.
Travis Macdonald
Crossthreading is nature's locktite

Offline ACGiddens

• Visitor
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2019, 09:10:47 AM »
@Nu2Jeeps trying to reply to PM, but says your inbox is full.

Feel free to email me, Ag@allsouthautosports.com ,if it is easier for you to communicate that way.
Adam G
The Jeep list:
TJ stock - gone
JK stock - gone
YJ 6" 35s mostly stock - gone
XJ 6.5" LA 35s D44 - RIPieces
XJ - 6.5" LA 35s - gone
TJ - In progress

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2019, 09:57:20 AM »
No need to apologize. Some people here dont have much of a filter, so dont take anything personally.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2019, 10:43:07 AM »
No need to apologize. Some people here dont have much of a filter, so dont take anything personally.
Yeah, please don't stop asking questions.  You're helping others, including me.

Some people, especially Mountain folk, know everything about everything (must be nice), but us city slickers don't.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2019, 07:47:25 AM »
Thank you for the encouragement, but my goal was never to waste anyone's time.
I took some time to work through other options and research more material.

I took the Jeep back to the shop that did the alignment, and they drove it and told me the ball joints need to be replaced ASAP (just a couple of weeks ago they said they would need to be replaced at some point in the future) They did give me another stock track bar, bc the jam nut on the one i had installed would not stay tight ( i think some anti seize was on the nut threads for some reason). 
So i called the Roswell store (same company) and was determined to get the ball joints and install them over the holidays, when i arrived i spoke with the guy behind the counter and went over everything.  He said he did not want to sell me the ball joints until his guys could look at it, and since the other store didnt give me a printout of the alignment he wanted to redo it for free so they had a baseline.
i went back yesterday, and they aligned it and tightened up a few things, and found that my steering stabilizer was bent (probably from the stump i tried to remove from AOP).  They threw an old man emu on and test drove it again, and with traffic in roswell and being a few minutes before closing time he didnt get a good feel for it.
On my way home i noticed it was pulling arder to the right than before. 
I am stumped!
Everyone i have asked has said the sector shaft brace is not the answer but it is the only thing i have found in my research that has stopped similar issues on other jeeps. 
I have a former neighbor that works for a Jeep dealership and i am searching for his contact info to see if this might be a warranty issue and i can get something done. 
Really at a loss.

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2019, 07:57:15 AM »
Planman has a great walk through in diagnosing, excuse my language, death wobble. I think it’s on YT.  Even though that’s not the issue, it’ll help you with doing a front end steering check.

I don’t see how the sector shaft brace would do anything other than keep it from breaking. It’s a solid piece, so if you are experiencing play at that point, my thought would be steering box.
Jay

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2019, 08:13:50 AM »
i have been wondering if a steering box might be the issue, and that is why i am reaching out to a dealer to check on warranty info.
i saw a video, and I think i linked it in a previous post, about a guy with a similar issue in a JL.  The shop installed the SH and TB brace and then they filmed him driving and the issue was gone.

i will check out the video you suggested, and he has been suggested before. 
I will keep you updated and hopefully if anyone ever has this issue again they will find the answer here.
Have a nice day 

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2019, 08:16:24 AM »
I have had my share of steering issues; some Stabilizers will push or pull. I found that the OEM worked the best and this was after trying a FOX (it pushed left) Is the steering loose or does it just drift?

If your alignment is correct you should be able to drive with out the stabilizer (remove it) if it drifts or pulls either way then I'd look at the tires.

I have   a JKS  Drag link new that I never used if your interested. I'll sell it cheap. $50.00

What shop are you going to? Some are better than others.

And don't worry about wasting anyone's time. They wouldn't be on here if they were worried about their precious time. They'd be out doing something else.

Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2019, 08:53:40 PM »
Sorry didn't want to read it all, you have swapped the tires around?

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2019, 02:48:51 PM »
I would love the drag link, i will message you
I rotated the tires when i installed the lift.
i am talking with my former neighbor that is a jeep dealer and see what he says

it seems to pull to the right since i had it "fixed" earlier this week.

I dont feel a lot of slop or play in the steering.

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
Re: steering - updated
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2020, 07:31:29 PM »
well i told you i would update you when i had something to share.
to this point i have had the jeep aligned 6 times in a year, two in the first two days of ownership, and 4 other times at the jeep shop in marietta & roswell. 
i was told i needed new ball joints, so i replaced the stock ones (which seemed fine to me) with the teraflex HD ball joints.  Nothing improved on the pull to the right.  I had it aligned, not better.
I added a sector shaft and trackbar brace from synergy.  Steering was tighter but no change in the pull to the right.  I had a new steering stabilzer put in bc i bent the stock on at AOP in Tenn. 
The last time i was at the jeep shop (same one) the shop foreman came out and said my axle was not square under the jeep.  I said i have a stock track bar under it.  I went home measured and I was about an inch off to the drivers side.  I placed the super lift track bar under it and squared up the axle, no change in the pull to the right.
As i look at the jeep from the front i swear to you i can tell the passenger tire is toed out, but why would this be so if they aligned it?
I found the original invoice in the paperwork and found what looked to be the original owner and his email address.  I reached out and that person said they had never sold a jeep and didnt know what i was talking about (i found that very odd).
what do you think could be causing this pull to the right?

is there a chance the axle tube was bent, or the knuckle is damaged?
what is the possibility that the steering components are slipping after the alignments?
I am really at a loss. 
i have spoken to a buddy at a jeep dealership and he said it was not likely the steering box was messed up, and the sector shaft should have negated some of that.
Any thoughts?

i have rotated the tires and tried different pressures (in all 4 tires, not varying pressures in different tires)

Offline Chris36l

• Visitor
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2020, 12:57:33 AM »
Mine has always had a little bit of a pull. Atleast since lifting it. Nothing major, not enough to keep me awake at night. I’m used to it now. Might just be something you’re over analyzing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM