BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: steering  (Read 4478 times)

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
Re: steering
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2020, 04:50:06 PM »
OK
so i had it back in the sop today!
they checked the wheel bearing on the front passenger, it was good.
they reset my trackbar to square up the front axle (they off set it to over correct the issue last time)
they said there is slight play in the drag link "but that wont cause it to pull right"

they told me they want to put adjustable CA upper and lower in the front and push the passenger side forward so there would be no way the jeep could pull right.

He did say while they had it in the air they noticed the sector shaft moving more than it should, front to back rather than side to side.

"we had four techs drive it and they all feel the pull to the right but agree its not a big deal" my response, it is not correct and I dont want to take a chance on whatever is wrong getting worse and causing a catastrophic failure.  "I asure you that will not happen"

I left and dont plan to return

I Just spoke to Shottenkirk Dodge  Jeep manager on a recommendation of a buddy, they are going to put their top jeep tech on it and figure out what is wrong.  He assured me they would get to the bottom of it.
Next chapter to be written next wednesday. 
Stay tuned

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2020, 07:19:30 PM »
There's a ghost in there somewhere!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2020, 08:14:35 PM »
Gonna go ahead and say it. Dude is gonna come back in 6 months with the same issue asking the same questions. Smh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2020, 09:41:30 PM »
They’ve ruled out anything that could cause “catastrophic failure”. A solid axle suspension is going to drive and behave differently than a rack and pinion. It’s just the trade off you make
Travis Macdonald
Crossthreading is nature's locktite

Online BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2020, 10:16:57 AM »
Don't take it to a dealer.  Jeep Tech has a monster alignment machine and knows how to use it.  Give them a call. 

Isn't "Dealer Top Jeep Tech" and oxymoron?

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2020, 11:00:31 AM »
band aids for days when all it needs is the proper alignment by someone that knows what they are doing.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2020, 02:12:32 PM »
ok so after three and a half days the dealer's tech has come up with a caster issue.  How can a caster issue have occurred when the jeep was not lifter before i bought it and it was pulling right, and then with the 2 1/2 in  lift installed. 
the parts are 41$ and the video i saw online shows them punching a hole in the control arm bolt hole to elongate the hole so the caster can be adjusted. 

thoughts?
I called Jeep and they were not much help since it is out of warranty, and there has been no proof of anything like this occurring before i owned it.

hate to spend the money they want for the fix but if it fixes it i guess it will be worth it, but I could buy a new winch for their price.  I am just afraid i wont get it exact if i do it, and it will need an alignment after that anyway. 

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2020, 03:10:36 PM »
ok so after three and a half days the dealer's tech has come up with a caster issue.  How can a caster issue have occurred when the jeep was not lifter before i bought it and it was pulling right, and then with the 2 1/2 in  lift installed. 
the parts are 41$ and the video i saw online shows them punching a hole in the control arm bolt hole to elongate the hole so the caster can be adjusted. 

thoughts?
I called Jeep and they were not much help since it is out of warranty, and there has been no proof of anything like this occurring before i owned it.

hate to spend the money they want for the fix but if it fixes it i guess it will be worth it, but I could buy a new winch for their price.  I am just afraid i wont get it exact if i do it, and it will need an alignment after that anyway. 

Absolutely DO NOT elongate bolt holes. This is the reason they make adjustable control arms. Most decent lift kits come with them to correct the caster. I'd even bet someone here has a set they arent using.

@ACGiddens with Allsouth Autosports offered earlier in this thread to look at it for free and diagnose the problem at their shop. I would highly suggest going this route before I ruined bolt holes to use shitty caster bolts
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 03:15:11 PM by patman »

Offline jesseshoots

• Visitor
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2020, 03:25:37 PM »
You still haven't posted alignment numbers. How bad is the caster?

It is possible that the control arm bolts were not properly torqued (could be either over or under torqued) and have loosened causing the bolts to wallow out the holes in the mounts on one side.

Typically caster affects return to center on the steering and the right way to adjust the caster on a solid axle suspension is by changing the length of the control arms to rotate the axle around it's centerline. Don't go punching holes, it's a cheap way out and isn't good.

If you're slightly mechanically inclined you can easily do this work yourself by getting a set of adjustable control arms and an angle finder. Use the lowers to place the axle where it needs to be and the uppers to rotate it to the right caster. Make sure the left and right sides are equal so that you don't induce a pull to one side by angling the axle.

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2020, 04:58:38 PM »
there is a kit from Mopar that makes and oval hole where the stock hole is so they can rotate the bolt and adjust the CA forward and back, the jeep dealer said the caster is 2.1 and 2.2 positive right now.  I am waiting on a call back to get a guarantee that this will work, and find out what they are going to do if it doesnt. 
even if i get the Adjust. CA i would have to have them installed and alignment done again which will be more than the cam bolts.
just so confused.  [help] [help]

Offline jesseshoots

• Visitor
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2020, 05:28:29 PM »
For a stock JK the recommended caster is 4 deg. The larger tires you run the more caster you need to help return to center. The L/R difference of 0.1 deg shouldn’t be causing you to drift to one side.

Also, there is no way slotting your mounts will net you 2 deg. more. The cam bolts won’t help you in this case. You’ll need adjustable arms to get this much caster back. If the dealer is trying to sell you on this I would run and find another shop that knows what they’re doing.

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
steering
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2020, 06:10:07 PM »
I have never heard of ovaling a bolt hole to fix a caster issue.   

Not sure who gave that advise, but I would get a second opinion.   Adjustable control arms fix caster without ruining a perfectly good bolt hole. 

Post the video of someone ovaling a hole.  I sure would like to see it.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM