BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: steering  (Read 4322 times)

Offline BigPrince

• Visitor
Re: steering
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2020, 06:28:06 PM »
They literally sell kits to reinforce bolt holes so they DON'T oval out and cause death wobble.  At face value that sounds awful.  Sounds like you got the dealership tech that had to replace my headliner in my truck 3x before I just decided to glue it up myself(like 3+yrs and still going good on my fix).  Joking, but maybe not. Buy some adjustable lower arms and fix your caster there or have a good shop like AllSouth do it.

Online TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2020, 09:51:03 PM »
I have never heard of ovaling a bolt hole to fix a caster issue.   

Not sure who gave that advise, but I would get a second opinion.   Adjustable control arms fix caster without ruining a perfectly good bolt hole. 

Post the video of someone ovaling a hole.  I sure would like to see it.
I believe my ZJ used caster bolts on elongated bolt holes from the factory
Travis Macdonald
Crossthreading is nature's locktite

Offline BigPrince

• Visitor
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2020, 12:21:55 AM »
This is a JKU

Offline jesseshoots

• Visitor
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2020, 07:05:24 AM »
I have never heard of ovaling a bolt hole to fix a caster issue.   

Not sure who gave that advise, but I would get a second opinion.   Adjustable control arms fix caster without ruining a perfectly good bolt hole. 

Post the video of someone ovaling a hole.  I sure would like to see it.

Slotted holes with a c welded to the mount for a cam bolt to use isn’t bad, as long as you use proper torque on the bolts. Look up how slip critical connections work. That’s essentially every suspension bolt on a vehicle. It uses clamping force to hold it in place regardless of hole size.

That being said, without the c’s on the mount, how is the cam bolt supposed to work? Even if there were c’s there’s no way you’ll get ENOUGH caster back from a slot and cam bolt.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2020, 07:21:04 AM »
@Jeeptrk What do you think should be done at this point, given the new information?
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2020, 07:38:02 AM »
this is the only thing i could find about this kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PRG_HkhrqU
i have asked them what guarantee they will give me that this works, and i have asked to speak directly to the technician

I have 17x9 wheels and 33 inch nitto terra grapplers

can these tires and wheels throw the caster off that much? this has been happening since i bought the jeep and it had this combo on it already?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 08:20:25 AM by Nu2Jeeps »

Offline jesseshoots

• Visitor
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2020, 08:51:31 AM »
Tires and wheels do not change your caster, they create a need to change caster.

You're going to listen to whatever that tech spews out, so it really doesn't matter what we say when it comes to not going with cam bolts. An at home alignment as far as caster is concerned is crazy easy. All you need is an angle finder (preferably digital to make it easier), the ability to change lengths of control arms, and a flat surface.

If it has been happening since you bought the jeep, and there wasn't a lift on it when you bought it, I would say that the caster rabbit hole isn't going to fix your issue. Unless the control arms are screwed up, or it was very poorly aligned from a previous owner, there shouldn't have been caster issues then. Have you had anyone check if the axle is bent?

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2020, 09:41:17 AM »
I appreciate the confidence!!
If I was going to listen to the tech and what he is spewing then i would not be asking you guys for your thoughts, I would have said they fixed it thanks for the input. But, I am trying to gain more information so when i do talk to the tech i can ask educated questions and rebut his answers on these cam bolts. 
I have wondered if the axle it bent, and I will ask him to measure that.
I still say there is something wrong in the steering box, and I will ask him to check that as well. 

As mentioned before, the jeep shop wants to put CA on it and push the passenger side forward to over compensate for the pull, I was not ok with masking the issue like that.  If Adjust CA will correct the issue i would buy some but we are not sure that is the REAL ISSUE.

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2020, 10:26:21 AM »
@Jeeptrk What do you think should be done at this point, given the new information?

dont get me started. im pretty sure he cant see my replies anyways.

@jesseshoots the increase in positive caster is not always the answer, as a matter of fact, when you get to a certain point in tire size and lift/height/weight over stock you actually want negative caster to increase your return to center and make it easier to combat dw.

ive tried to say multiple times that "stock" numbers and some crap on a screen dont mean jack when you are dealing with these jeeps, you need actual critical thinking and someone who actually knows what they are looking at.

theres no fn way id let someone egg a hole to correct a problem when we have said adjustable ca and track bars from the beginning. this is in no way acceptable from any sort of respectable shop or mechanic. if it were my jeep, i would take advise and offers given and take it to AA and let @ACGiddens actually fix it correctly, i mean, he did offer to diagnose for free right??
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline jesseshoots

• Visitor
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2020, 10:50:12 AM »
@jesseshoots the increase in positive caster is not always the answer, as a matter of fact, when you get to a certain point in tire size and lift/height/weight over stock you actually want negative caster to increase your return to center and make it easier to combat dw.

I've never heard of this before! I'm no suspension guru by any means, but I like to think I have a better understanding than some. What situations call for a need to go negative on caster?

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2020, 10:56:07 AM »
Guys in this club know what they are talking about. I started out putting
my 2'' lift on, then after bad mistakes like 3'' body lift, then scratch all that.
I finally put on a 4'' lift, then I put on adjustable control arms. I don't
think I've ever had that much problem but then again I wasn't to picky
either.

I do know ONE thing for sure I would never take a Jeep to a dealership
or regular shop. Worse thing you can do. Take it to a OFF-ROAD SHOP
their not all the same but if they go offroading and build there own rigs
then it's got to better. The reason members keep saying Allsouth is at
some point or other they have worked on most of the Jeeps here.

They have built some of the baddest rigs in the club and they wheel
their selves. They have built and worked on some of the most complex
rigs. Members can get discounts and if AC Giddens offered to diagnose
for free.....
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline ACGiddens

• Visitor
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2020, 11:10:34 AM »
... i would take advise and offers given and take it to AA and let @ACGiddens actually fix it correctly, i mean, he did offer to diagnose for free right??

True Story. I was there.

Time flies, that back in November and the issues still has not been solved, I think we scheduled something but never got the jeep here.

Still Happy to take a look.

Give us a call and we'll get something scheduled.
Adam G
The Jeep list:
TJ stock - gone
JK stock - gone
YJ 6" 35s mostly stock - gone
XJ 6.5" LA 35s D44 - RIPieces
XJ - 6.5" LA 35s - gone
TJ - In progress

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM