BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: steering  (Read 4248 times)

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
Re: steering
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2020, 11:25:55 AM »
I bought up the fix they offered so i could get feedback from you, all.  I was not a fan of the idea when i looked up the "fix".  Since i have been having the issues from day one i dont see how this will fix it. 
At this point i am not sure Ad CA will fix it, from everything i have been told on here and at the jeep shop.  The only reason it is in the dealers garage is bc the Jeep shop could not fix it.  there is something going on that several techs have not thought about and been able to diagnose. I wish i had the cash to purchase a new set of  CA, but at this point i feel like i would be throwing another possible band-aid on it.
Some one did offer to look at it some time ago and I could not get that far from home to run over and have it diagnosed.  I went to the jeep shop I could get to.  Now they have exhausted every option and it seems like the dealership top tech is at loss. 
there is a gremlin in here and I need to find it.  I wish i could throw a steering box on to see if that would work.  I will ask someone to check the axle for a bend.  Would something else under the front end have bent as well if the axle was damaged like that?
I sense everyone's frustration with this, and with what you seem to think is my lack of desire to listen and take your advice. I am frustrated as well, but appreciate every bit of knowledge you are offering.  I am learning what to ask and what to look for, as well as what not to do.

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2020, 12:00:35 PM »
@jesseshoots the increase in positive caster is not always the answer, as a matter of fact, when you get to a certain point in tire size and lift/height/weight over stock you actually want negative caster to increase your return to center and make it easier to combat dw.

I've never heard of this before! I'm no suspension guru by any means, but I like to think I have a better understanding than some. What situations call for a need to go negative on caster?

This would only be for a high pinion axle right?
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2020, 12:08:33 PM »
I have been in a similar situation with a Dealer. My response to the head of their Service Department was to put it back together. As I was calling a tow truck to Take it to Allsouth Autosports. I live in downtown Atlanta. I am not close to any dealerships or Allsouth. On more than one occasion I have had my Jeep hauled to Allsouth on a Flat bed. I'd rather it be there for a couple weeks and get fixed than go back an forth to an incompetent shop.

2 shops in Atlanta that I trust are Allsouth and Jeep Tech. I don't trust any dealership because of the crap they try to pass off.

Justin, Adam, Clark, Sam, Tony have all said what we have all thought and been through. I trust the guys on this forum more than any tech. Look at their builds.

If I were you I would tell em to get it ready and send a flat bed to pick it up.

Let us know how it works out for you.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Online 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2020, 01:14:21 PM »
@jesseshoots the increase in positive caster is not always the answer, as a matter of fact, when you get to a certain point in tire size and lift/height/weight over stock you actually want negative caster to increase your return to center and make it easier to combat dw.

I've never heard of this before! I'm no suspension guru by any means, but I like to think I have a better understanding than some. What situations call for a need to go negative on caster?

I had issues early in my build, on d44s and 37s with death wobble, I had originally set the steering knuckles close to neutral, I think just over positive maybe 1.5deg. Several different attempts changing toe in/out I finally called my suspension guru/shock tuner and was told to go negative, like 7degrees negative. I literally said what the shit? he goes, just try it, and bam, fixed it. It was explained to me in simple terms that it would increase the steerings ability to return to center and stay centered. When you look into it, alot of teams and crawlers run some negative caster on the knuckles. It would def be easier to run neg on a HP axle, but unsure about only HP. Im in no way an engineer or expert, just trial and error and trying to listen to the experts when they are willing to take time to talk to me.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline jesseshoots

• Visitor
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2020, 01:21:51 PM »

I had issues early in my build, on d44s and 37s with death wobble, I had originally set the steering knuckles close to neutral, I think just over positive maybe 1.5deg. Several different attempts changing toe in/out I finally called my suspension guru/shock tuner and was told to go negative, like 7degrees negative. I literally said what the shit? he goes, just try it, and bam, fixed it. It was explained to me in simple terms that it would increase the steerings ability to return to center and stay centered. When you look into it, alot of teams and crawlers run some negative caster on the knuckles. It would def be easier to run neg on a HP axle, but unsure about only HP. Im in no way an engineer or expert, just trial and error and trying to listen to the experts when they are willing to take time to talk to me.

That's wild. I'll definitely put that in the knowledge bank.

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2020, 01:29:34 PM »
dealership just called and they are going to keep it a couple of days more to diagnose.  They were not 100% sure the cam bolts were the fix. 
I appreciate them being honest.  The service rep said he is going to do more research and ask more people and call Jeep to see if they have ever heard of this issue before.
I asked him to check the steering box, and the sector shaft for strange movement.  I also am wondering if some all four wheels are not square.  Could there be an issue caused by the front passenger tire being farther back than the drive side. I will ask him to confirm all is square.
At this point i just dont think the caster is the issue.

Offline ACGiddens

• Visitor
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2020, 02:27:40 PM »
-Alignment multiple times by multiple shops/dealers including a "Jeep shop" that shall not be named.
-Rotate and balances
-Added a sector shaft and trackbar brace from synergy
-Installed teraflex HD ball joints
-A new steering stabilizer installed
-A superlift adj. track bar installed

I think these are the only actionable things that have been done on this from going back through this 1+ year thread besides a lot of advice, speculation and ideas. Correct me if there are more.

I think the only echoing advice here from the start, that has been continually ignored, has been get it to a reputable shop.

Took 1+ year for all involved to figure out the track was off.

I understand we might not be the closest or most convenient place to drop the Jeep off with based off your location but anything has to be more convenient then what you have gone through at this point.

[deadhorse]
Adam G
The Jeep list:
TJ stock - gone
JK stock - gone
YJ 6" 35s mostly stock - gone
XJ 6.5" LA 35s D44 - RIPieces
XJ - 6.5" LA 35s - gone
TJ - In progress

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2020, 02:43:09 PM »
When the dealership can't fix it, take it to Jeep Tech and have them put it on their MONSTER new alignment machine. 

Online 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2020, 04:37:08 PM »
-Alignment multiple times by multiple shops/dealers including a "Jeep shop" that shall not be named.
-Rotate and balances

I think these are the only actionable things that have been done on this from going back through this 1+ year thread besides a lot of advice, speculation and ideas. Correct me if there are more.

I think the only echoing advice here from the start, that has been continually ignored, has been get it to a reputable shop.

I understand we might not be the closest or most convenient place to drop the Jeep off with based off your location but anything has to be more convenient then what you have gone through at this point.

[deadhorse]

i called trackbar in 3rd post  [cheers] [oldskool]
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2020, 07:55:39 PM »
-Rotate and balances

[deadhorse]
Understood, and I was in the middle of sending you a PM when they called me back to say they were going to be doing more research to find a solution.
The thing is I thought I was taking it to a reputable Jeep shop.  Lesson learned! I wont let them rotate my tires at this point.
When i get the jeep back home, and if it has not been 100% corrected, it will be in your shop ASAP.  I will get it there some way when you tell me you can look at it.  I did call and make an appointment with you and then something came up and caused me to cancel the appointment.  Not knowing one Jeep shop from another I went with the closer one. 

People have offered suggestions and I have tried to take it, and do what i could afford. I have spent money, and probably more than I would have if you looked at it, but again I thought I was going to a reputable place.  It is only at the dealer because I thought it was a last resort and thought the people that built the vehicle might have a better idea of the issue, and possibly had seen it before. 
The cam bolts will not be installed.  I have racked my brain about what could possibly make something track to one side, like a physics problem.  I have done as much research as I can (hence all of the questions) and have come to three thoughts; steering box, tires are not square (right side tires closer than the left side tires so it pulls like a conical cylinder rolling) - bent axle or CA not the same length.

More updates when i have it back, and I will provide the issue and the solution or let you know it is heading to All South.

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2020, 07:59:29 PM »
was called tonight about 7pm.
still no resolution.  they wanted to say the aftermarket parts could be a cause, but i told them a few days ago the parts were suggested to correct the issue.  He said something about the calling in engineers to try and figure it out.  I asked if the wheels were all square and if the axle is bent and he told me there is nothing wrong with the axle.  I asked, again, about the steering box and he said they have not checked that yet. 
Looks like Monday or Tuesday before I will hear back. 
I have a good amount of seat time in this 2020 JL Sport Unlimited now and feel like i could make a good review  ;)

Offline Nu2Jeeps

• Visitor
  • Keith B
« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2020, 04:34:03 PM »
May have resolved the steering issue updates soon
Adam was awesome to talk to me for so long today

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM