BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: GMP  (Read 4970 times)

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
Re: GMP
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 10:16:00 AM »
Not that I have given this much thought, but I did inquire about buying it for the above reasons

FIFY

Ha, well, Jayne is out of town this week. When she returns she is sending me an old business plan that her husband had put together and a couple of years worth of cash flows. I can't do it $850,000, but she did say that was open to offers. She just wants out of it asap. Her husband died back in 2013 and she has fully retired and has moved to Alabama.
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 10:25:47 AM »
Not that I have given this much thought, but I did inquire about buying it for the above reasons

FIFY

Ha, well, Jayne is out of town this week. When she returns she is sending me an old business plan that her husband had put together and a couple of years worth of cash flows. I can't do it $850,000, but she did say that was open to offers. She just wants out of it asap. Her husband died back in 2013 and she has fully retired and has moved to Alabama.

I like where this is headed! Would love to see it reopen

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 10:46:34 AM »
This is awesome Chuck. I see no reason this place couldnt run as well as AOP, ++ the extra funds from weddings. I have a close friend up here that is selling 2-3 weddings a month on their farm making $10-15k a month and folks are lining up at the door. That track is a sweet extra, Im sure certain circuits like go-cart, demo derby, and dirt track racers would come back around for the right conditions.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline j3ff3ry_j33p

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2019, 08:25:21 PM »
what a great dream . I believe if the right person(s) were to acquire that place , they could possibly surpass the financial success of AOP. It's quite unique, centrally located & vast.
potential there for a super park
Jeffery
ºlllllllº '11 JKUs
▀lllllll▀ '95 XJ

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 08:50:59 AM »
what a great dream . I believe if the right person(s) were to acquire that place , they could possibly surpass the financial success of AOP. It's quite unique, centrally located & vast.

Jeffery.....you could drain one of those ponds, add concrete and have a nice bowl to skate!
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline j3ff3ry_j33p

• Visitor
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 09:30:10 AM »

Jeffery.....you could drain one of those ponds, add concrete and have a nice bowl to skate!

Jeffery
ºlllllllº '11 JKUs
▀lllllll▀ '95 XJ

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 09:39:17 AM »
GMP is a great location.  Buying it for even $650k, you’re looking at putting in at least that much more to obtain a nice attraction for many different type of event.  I’d turn the dirt track into a motocross area.  I like the idea of filling in the place where the bumper boats were and having a skate park.  Rebuild the large workshop and see if you could entice a company to move in there.  Jeep, dirt bike repair?  Build out the bunkhouse.  Maybe create a huge crawling course for offroad RC geeks.  There are a lot of things that could turn that place into a destination for many different hobbies. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 09:40:40 AM by BigMike »

Online Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2019, 10:29:36 AM »
Add a handful of cheap cabins that you could rent out for offroad portion or wedding events
Jay

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2019, 10:35:00 AM »
Selling shares or CO-OP might be an idea. I have seen Co-Ops work on smaller scales.

There may be interest in the local communities for other involvement.

Could the property be subdivided?
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2019, 11:59:58 AM »
Other than financing, the biggest issue is insurance. Apparently, there have been a lot of changes just in the past year that is causing the prices to sky rocket to upwards of $20k or more annually. The more stuff that you have on the property the higher the insurance is. The no. 1 issue is alcohol on the trials. People need to be cognoscente of what they post on the internet picture and video wise. Issue no. 2 is lawyers. If someone dies from an accident their are lawyers that will reach out to family members or spouses that did not sign the park waiver, and will use them to try and sue the park. Even though the lawyer doesn't have a leg to stand on the insurance will usually settle just to close the case. Which in turn raises rates or forces a cancellation of insurance.

I have contacted an organization called National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council (NOHVCC). They help provide information to folks starting off road clubs and parks.
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2019, 12:15:32 PM »
Other than financing, the biggest issue is insurance. Apparently, there have been a lot of changes just in the past year that is causing the prices to sky rocket to upwards of $20k or more annually. The more stuff that you have on the property the higher the insurance is. The no. 1 issue is alcohol on the trials. People need to be cognoscente of what they post on the internet picture and video wise. Issue no. 2 is lawyers. If someone dies from an accident their are lawyers that will reach out to family members or spouses that did not sign the park waiver, and will use them to try and sue the park. Even though the lawyer doesn't have a leg to stand on the insurance will usually settle just to close the case. Which in turn raises rates or forces a cancellation of insurance.

I have contacted an organization called National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council (NOHVCC). They help provide information to folks starting off road clubs and parks.

Having a good lawyer draw up the waiver would be a good start.  A big sign at the entrance announcing the risk (Death or Injury) from taking part in activities.  Also, signs along all trails warning people and stating NO ALCOHOL ON TRAILS. 

The second part, a properly run park will not have anyone inside that does not have a signed waiver and appropriate wrist band to match the area they paid to attend.  AOP now states that if you do not have a signed waiver at the office and have paid to be there, you are trespassing.  You can get sued no matter what, it’s reducing the risk.

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2019, 04:03:36 PM »
Seems like anymore the risk vs. reward for ANY sort of business involving dealing with the general public is almost impossible to insure reasonably. Im paying north of $8k pr year just for the body shop and storage facility, and still had to jump through hoops and have multiple inspections. Still any lawyer worth their salt is going to find loopholes if enough money is involved in an accident, no matter the waiver or signage. Its a sad state we live in, and its just going to get worse Im afraid. Is there any advantage to some sort of clause stating you have to be a member, whether its a club membership or a member of the riding area itself? Like Rousch Creek, we had to "join" for an additional fee, that has to have some sort of advantage, if nothing else it helps pay for the insurance itself. Also, and I personally hate that it has come to this, but if you hire some sort of "security" to "check" people or keep an eye out for suspicious activity (like Windrock has), that would have to make a difference in the liability.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM