SHOP TALK > Wrench Day

driveway lift install

(1/9) > >>

Nu2Jeeps:
Ok, so i am wondering about the true difficulty of a drive install.  I have seen several people on youtube wrenching on their jeeps, and it doesnt look too overwhelming.  My fear is doing something slightly wrong and causing a catastrophic failure once i start driving (since i am not a mechanic).  I am reading some install directions and it seems do able.
I am wondering about the axle drooping, and falling too far.  I have the floor jacks for the frame but do i control the axle with the floor jack?
The last thing i want is an axle across my forehead, that might impede my offroading. 

I am pretty handy and mechanical and have tinkered on cars and motorcycles most of my life, but have never taken on something detailed as a suspension. 

Thanks for the advice and honesty

BigMike:
You should at least the following:

Torque wrench that will go to 175 lb-ft
Metric sockets and wrenches to 19mm (17,18,19 are used a lot)
Good floor jack (2 of them are better to have)
2 - 6ton jackstands (4 is better, 12 ton is better)
Pipe wrench (for the large locking nuts on the control arms
A second set of hands

If you have any hesitation, just take it to a shop.  AllSouth gives member discounts.

Nu2Jeeps:
Thanks so much.  Was hoping to save a few hundred bucks, so i could add a winch too ;)

I am leaning toward a professional install.

patman:

--- Quote from: Nu2Jeeps on September 04, 2019, 09:39:00 AM ---Thanks so much.  Was hoping to save a few hundred bucks, so i could add a winch too ;)

I am leaning toward a professional install.

--- End quote ---

Bolting on a Rock Krawler lift on my old JK was the first automotive modification i ever did other than speakers. Take your time, read the directions and watch a youtube video or two. Its honestly incredibly easy if you have the tools mike mentioned. Add in a breaker bar for loosening the nuts and you're set

You'll never need to get under the axle, so your forehead will be safe

Nu2Jeeps:
Thanks so much!
my confidence is building. 
I saw a sticker at jeepfest the said "certified youtube mechanic" ;)
I should have gotten it 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version