BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Safety Third  (Read 351 times)

Online TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Safety Third
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 11:25:12 AM »
poor guy.
 bleeding out from an exploded grinder disk cutting a main artery is kinda noble but also pretty tragic .

He was 82 years old. He could have been on blood thinners and bled out.

I learned my lesson about blood stoppers long ago, campfire story maybe. I also have had close hand experience with those grinders more than once, having saved an employee from having to get transfusions once we got him to the ER after he let a wire wheel get into his forearm (super nasty), it was bad enough it stopped the motor. I carry a small pouch of Celox in my wallet at all times, and blowout kits in all my vehicles and boat, along with them being stashed in several places in the shops and the house. Also, one of my biggest things about working at home, or alone at all is keeping that damn cell phone on me, not sitting it on the work bench and getting under something or walking off. 

Link for the lazy
https://www.amazon.com/Celox-2GM-Package-of-Five/dp/B00RC6ZGS6/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=quikclot&qid=1582213313&sr=8-7

its cheap insurance boys, like i said, ive seen it work first hand.
My dog got in a fight with a possum when I was about 10, luckily my dad had quikclot sitting around. probably saved the dogs life, he ended up with something like 75 stitches
Travis Macdonald
Crossthreading is nature's locktite

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 11:29:31 AM »
poor guy.
 bleeding out from an exploded grinder disk cutting a main artery is kinda noble but also pretty tragic .

I'm on blood thinners and don't think about it much any more, but I should.  But I also don't notice more blood when I cut myself than I used to. 

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020, 11:38:40 AM »
poor guy.

I learned my lesson about blood stoppers long ago, campfire story maybe. I also have had close hand experience with those grinders more than once, having saved an employee from having to get transfusions once we got him to the ER after he let a wire wheel get into his forearm (super nasty), it was bad enough it stopped the motor. I carry a small pouch of Celox in my wallet at all times, and blowout kits in all my vehicles and boat, along with them being stashed in several places in the shops and the house. Also, one of my biggest things about working at home, or alone at all is keeping that damn cell phone on me, not sitting it on the work bench and getting under something or walking off. 

Link for the lazy
https://www.amazon.com/Celox-2GM-Package-of-Five/dp/B00RC6ZGS6/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=quikclot&qid=1582213313&sr=8-7

its cheap insurance boys, like i said, ive seen it work first hand.

Being on Blood Thinners myself I usually keep Celox in my kit. I have used Styptic Powder that I use for the dogs nails. It stings like hell but it works.

We had an employee this morning catch his finger in a metal saw. He just got back from the doc-in-the-box, several stitches and some pain killers. He's back at work.

Worst thing about those grinders is when they shatter grinding disks and wire brushes losing wires. I've pulled enough of those out of my neck to wear a shield no matter how hot it is.

@BigMike - I think the real danger with the Thinners we are on are internal injuries due to head trauma or body trauma. I used to bleed alot more when they had me on warfarin. That stuff is nasty.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2020, 05:03:18 PM »
Just ordered some of that stuff....

I have first aid kits in all the vehicles and backpacks but didn’t know about this before now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline j3ff3ry_j33p

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2020, 08:03:15 PM »
Just ordered some of that stuff....

I have first aid kits in all the vehicles and backpacks but didn’t know about this before now.

me too.
I have tourniquets & shock blankets & sutures but didn't have this stuff.
it reminds me of the sulpha powder from band of brothers or some WWII content.
good for us to carry this in our kits ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jeffery
ºlllllllº '11 JKUs
▀lllllll▀ '95 XJ

Offline ranier1315

• Visitor
    • Flameshots Photography
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2020, 05:15:30 PM »
Quick clot or similar is an awesome product but takes specialized training to really control any arterial bleed. It can be done but it takes direct application into the wound and the "powder only" type products won't stay in the wound under the pressure of a arterial bleed. The best option when faced with a significant bleed it to use tourniquets. I carry a minimum of two in my jeep at all times and it is part of my EDC when I carry. Link to a generally low cost option.
https://www.amazon.com/Recon-Medical-BLK-1PAK-FBA-Tourniquet-Pre-Hospital/dp/B01ETMVQOI/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=35HD7SARX6YR9&keywords=cat+tourniquet&qid=1582323062&sprefix=CAT+tour%2Caps%2C346&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVENFQjBMSUpTMFQmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzMTY0NDUyR05HVUtXVTFLOU8zJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxMzU0ODMyT09IVTRLVVZPT0REJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Marc, Tracy, Jordan, and Tyler Allen

"Some women are like scooters, you have fun ridding them, you just wouldn't want your buddies to see you ridding them......" - A very wise man.

Offline flashover101

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2020, 05:24:28 PM »
Quick clot or similar is an awesome product but takes specialized training to really control any arterial bleed. It can be done but it takes direct application into the wound and the "powder only" type products won't stay in the wound under the pressure of a arterial bleed. The best option when faced with a significant bleed it to use tourniquets. I carry a minimum of two in my jeep at all times and it is part of my EDC when I carry. Link to a generally low cost option.
https://www.amazon.com/Recon-Medical-BLK-1PAK-FBA-Tourniquet-Pre-Hospital/dp/B01ETMVQOI/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=35HD7SARX6YR9&keywords=cat+tourniquet&qid=1582323062&sprefix=CAT+tour%2Caps%2C346&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVENFQjBMSUpTMFQmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzMTY0NDUyR05HVUtXVTFLOU8zJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxMzU0ODMyT09IVTRLVVZPT0REJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
And you said you weren’t a Super Medic....

Mike
2014 JK

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM