BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Lawn mowers  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
Re: Lawn mowers
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2020, 10:57:41 AM »
@clark123456 How much acreage do you have to cut?  Can't get any exercise on a riding mower.  Hell, when I was a kid, I'd cut 5 acres with 19" push mower, up hill both ways.
.5 ish now, but hoping for a couple of acres at the next house. 

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've been spoiled the past 19 years.  I have 1 acre but most of my neighbors have very small yards.  When John Wieland built the neighborhood, they setup the homeowners fees to include lawn service.  Everyone Monday they mow, edge, trim, and blow.  Twice a year, they trim the bushes and trees, fertilize the lawn,  and put out pinestraw.  They get January off but on months they don't mow, they blow each week.  It was $100/mo up until two years ago and now it's $125/mo.
Yeah, that would be very nice to have.  The quote I got for my yard was $80/week   

I don't like yard work, but I don't like spending money on it either!

Since the accident in July, I have been having the yard cut and edged.
$60/Week. It is nice not having to cut it during the hottest part of the year.
I enjoy getting out and cutting the grass and maintaining the yard and garden.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2020, 01:56:25 PM »
@clark123456 How much acreage do you have to cut?  Can't get any exercise on a riding mower.  Hell, when I was a kid, I'd cut 5 acres with 19" push mower, up hill both ways.
.5 ish now, but hoping for a couple of acres at the next house. 

I've been spoiled the past 19 years.  I have 1 acre but most of my neighbors have very small yards.  When John Wieland built the neighborhood, they setup the homeowners fees to include lawn service.  Everyone Monday they mow, edge, trim, and blow.  Twice a year, they trim the bushes and trees, fertilize the lawn,  and put out pinestraw.  They get January off but on months they don't mow, they blow each week.  It was $100/mo up until two years ago and now it's $125/mo. 

I'd love to pay 125 a month for that service

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2020, 02:38:59 PM »
Daughter took this picture out across the back yard over the weekend.

Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Online clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2020, 09:20:46 PM »
This weekend I tried going a different route:  fix the mower I have (before throwing thousands at a new one). As one of the YouTube guys says, "she's already f*ckered, you ain't gonna f*ck her more." YouTube can be inspiring, and now I'm basically a hydrostatic transmission expert, except for understanding how they work :)

I removed the transmission (Hydro-gear light duty), drained it, cracked it open, and checked all of the parts for wear and damage. Nothing funky going on inside that I could determine.  I was focused on the pump and the "motor," but those seemed well (tight tolerances/fit).  The fluid was nasty, but not much build-up of shaving/silt on the magnet, and no chunks either.  Filter is really just a screen, but it was clean too.

I put it back together, but the RTV was still curing so I didn't get to fill it and test.

I have a theory that the overflow/expansion tank may be where the issue originated, but I won't know until tomorrow when I pull it off.  I should have pulled it off earlier, but I didn't think about that possibly being the issue until I had it back together.   My theory is the fluid in the main housing expanded into the expansion tank, but it isn't being retracted from the expansion tank, possible because the overflow hose is broken.  So maybe the main housing was low on fluid, which caused poor performance (cavitation).

« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 09:22:30 PM by clark123456 »
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2020, 09:36:37 PM »
Tony, you'll have to explain to us more about this "different route" you took.  Sounds like you had good justification to ditch that POS and grab a new one -- and chose not to.  Is it related to this "fiscal responsibility" thing I've heard of???
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2020, 09:52:40 PM »
Guess he was too busy cuttin’ to pay attention in English class

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Travis Macdonald
Crossthreading is nature's locktite

Online clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2020, 10:07:21 PM »
Tony, you'll have to explain to us more about this "different route" you took.  Sounds like you had good justification to ditch that POS and grab a new one -- and chose not to.  Is it related to this "fiscal responsibility" thing I've heard of???

It's Clark, bruh.  in a manner of speaking, it's tha financial responsibility thing (I think 'fiscal' is only related to government).  I am, at some point, going to find the 'perfect' house/land/shop setup.  I don't know if that will be 5 acres of rolling hillside, or 5 acres of trees, so I don't know if I'll need a lawn mower or a tractor with a mower attachment.  I am trying to limp this current mower along until I can know with certainty what I need.  And, honestly, if I can spend under 200 bucks on this thing amd get it going, that'd be great.  It's not a POS...it's just old and the transmission may be the weakest point on the thing. Engine and deck are good, body is ok, but if she doesn't move, she can't cut and then what's the point.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2020, 10:33:04 PM »
Haha, my bad. Makes more sense now. Not sure why I thought it was Tony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2020, 11:08:19 PM »
@clark123456  is this mower a standard lawn tractor or zero turn?  I see I differential so I am guessing a lawn tractor.

Also, my neighbor across the street has his house for sale.  10 acres- ~4ish grass, 6 woods.  We could be neighbors...but I am not supervising your Jeep repairs 😆

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2020, 11:22:36 PM »
@clark123456  is this mower a standard lawn tractor or zero turn?  I see I differential so I am guessing a lawn tractor.

Also, my neighbor across the street has his house for sale.  10 acres- ~4ish grass, 6 woods.  We could be neighbors...but I am not supervising your Jeep repairs
Thats what I want.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Online clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2020, 06:13:49 AM »

Also, my neighbor across the street has his house for sale.  10 acres- ~4ish grass, 6 woods.  We could be neighbors...but I am not supervising your Jeep repairs

Regular lawn tractor, not zero turn.  I don't really need zero turn as it would only save me a few minutes on my current lawn, which got me to look at garden tractors, which led to the "f*ck it, I am all in on a sub compact with all of the attachments" before I came back down to earth and realized I only have 3/4 acres for now.

Send me a link/address/etc for that house /property, please.

Buddy, pal, I wouldn't expect YOU to supervise...that's my job; be at the farm early Saturday morning and we'll get going on the next project.

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2020, 02:13:04 PM »
Picked up a new Exmark Radius E today. With the $1,000 rebate and 0% financing for 48 months it seemed like too good of a deal to miss. On top of that they paid the sales tax as well and offered the upgraded suspension seat.
Travis Macdonald
Crossthreading is nature's locktite

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM