BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Chain Saws  (Read 858 times)

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
Re: Chain Saws
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2020, 10:06:07 AM »
I have the MS291...I couldn't get it cranked the last time I tried, so I switched to the electric chainsaw with the portable generator...not nearly as convienient, but it did work and was a lot less frustrating  :)
Lookin to sail that 291?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
well, everything is for sail, but I wasn't intending to do so.

I would let you borrow it for a couple of weeks, since that will force you to get it cranked for me!  I imagine it's just a matter of validating spark, and maybe a few drops of fuel mix in the cylinder.

Never lend your wife or chainsaw to someone, they're liable to throw a rod in either of them.   lmao lmao lmao

If you're in Roswell Clark, drop it by my house, I'll get it running for you.  I got my start on engines "professionally" at age 13 working in a lawnmower repair shop. 

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2020, 10:46:08 AM »
I have the MS291...I couldn't get it cranked the last time I tried, so I switched to the electric chainsaw with the portable generator...not nearly as convienient, but it did work and was a lot less frustrating  :)
Lookin to sail that 291?

I would let you borrow it for a couple of weeks, since that will force you to get it cranked for me!  I imagine it's just a matter of validating spark, and maybe a few drops of fuel mix in the cylinder.

Never lend your wife or chainsaw to someone, they're liable to throw a rod in either of them.   lmao lmao lmao

If you're in Roswell Clark, drop it by my house, I'll get it running for you.  I got my start on engines "professionally" at age 13 working in a lawnmower repair shop.
I wanted to be a small engine repair guy after watching some YouTube videos recently, but that faded quickly!  Thanks, Mike, for the offer. 

I'm gonna be in the basement all weekend...I may give it a go;  I'll save the extra parts for you or Travis to put it back together and get it working.

I always think of these scenes from Doc Hollywood when I take anything apart:
/>
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2020, 11:06:49 AM »
This will likely be my next chainsaw. Haven’t decided if I’ll keep the gasser too. I don’t expect it to have the same power, but for the light use that I’d need it, I think it will be great.

I decided to get one of their battery powered blowers and have been very impressed so far. 

Jay, Jay, Jay.  Battery operated yard equipment?  Really?  I'll stick with my Stihl combustion engine gear.  ;-)

Im so proud of you right now John.

Husky saws all day Tmac, 435, 445, 455, all good saws. Stihl is overpriced and underpowered IMO, and esp if you look at dollar per HP and features. The newer Husky stuff is super easy to start and keep tip top.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2020, 11:20:11 AM »
This will likely be my next chainsaw. Haven’t decided if I’ll keep the gasser too. I don’t expect it to have the same power, but for the light use that I’d need it, I think it will be great.

I decided to get one of their battery powered blowers and have been very impressed so far. 

Jay, Jay, Jay.  Battery operated yard equipment?  Really?  I'll stick with my Stihl combustion engine gear.  ;-)

Husky saws all day Tmac, 435, 445, 455, all good saws. Stihl is overpriced and underpowered IMO, and esp if you look at dollar per HP and features. The newer Husky stuff is super easy to start and keep tip top.

I still have a Husky 251 from around 1987 and use it often. 

Online TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2020, 11:23:50 AM »

Thanks hadn't looked at those. I bought one of their push mowers about 3 years ago and that thing still starts in the first 3 pulls every time
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 11:25:22 AM by TravisMac »
Travis Macdonald
Crossthreading is nature's locktite

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2020, 11:26:08 AM »
Lookin to sail that 291?

I wanted to be a small engine repair guy after watching some YouTube videos recently, but that faded quickly!  Thanks, Mike, for the offer. 

I'm gonna be in the basement all weekend...I may give it a go;  I'll save the extra parts for you or Travis to put it back together and get it working.

I always think of these scenes from Doc Hollywood when I take anything apart:
/>
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hahaha, if I'm channel surfing and that movie is on, I watch it.

Only need 3 things, spark, compression, and fuel.  My guess is it has old gas in it and the carb needs cleaned out.  Disassemble, be careful with the gaskets and diaphragm, remove jets, soak in carb cleaner and blow it out with air. 

Offline BigPrince

• Visitor
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2020, 03:22:13 PM »

Online Grass Janitor

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2020, 04:48:12 PM »
I removed a lot of big trees on a golf course in Roswell, their arborist is easy to deal with. Last I remember on homeowner lots less than 1 acre and not near the river you could remove whatever you want.  That may have changed.

We always used Stihl saws, varying sizes from the little one hand climber saws (which are more expensive than bigger saws) up to  660. The 260 size saws we had were definitely the most versatile, but even the little 180s would hold up for a long time.

Sam- Silver 2012 JKUR on 37s

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2020, 07:31:23 PM »
I have a Husqvarna 254 that I got from a guy around 1988.  It had zero compression so I put a piston and cylinder kit on it and have been using ever since.

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2020, 08:18:49 PM »
Oooh chainsaws, love talking about toys....I mean necessary tools for having around the home. 

The Stihl ms251 (All the ‘0 saws have been replaced  with the ‘1 models if I remember correctly) is a good size homeowner saw. I think for what you need it would be fine. But I would only get it if you catch it at the $299 ($349 msrp). They run the $50 off sale a couple times a year from what I have seen.  The 250/251 is a good balance of enough power without too much weight for home work to wear you out. 

Growing up we always had Stihls. When I bought my first saw I bought a Husqvarna 435.   The Huskys are good saws too, especially the true Huskys (i.e. the commercial saws).  I upgraded from the 435 to a 465 which I got a great deal on.  The 435/440/445 are nice and light but with a sharp chain will cut some serious $#%t.  If you want to spend more for a new Husqvarna, I recommend getting the 450 Rancher bc that is the threshold where they go from mainly Poulan built parts to Husky parts in the 450 and bigger saws. But the 450 is a pretty good size saw so it will tire you out until you get use to it.

I am not super opposed to the battery saws either for small infrequent tasks. I have Milwaukee M18 tools so I would probably get their saw. The Stihl and Makita are nice as well, but Stihl is expensive of course.

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2020, 08:25:24 PM »
And since this thread only has pics of a battery saw in it...here is my current collection. 64cc and 92cc.  There is no replacement for displacement when it comes to saws!!

Online TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2020, 09:23:07 PM »
Dang that’s a big un!

According to the stihl website the 250 is $50 off right now. Think I might borrow one for this round then buy one if I need it again for something that my pole saw can’t handle
Travis Macdonald
Crossthreading is nature's locktite

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM