BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Chain Saws  (Read 777 times)

Offline Bjk77

• Visitor
Re: Chain Saws
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2020, 07:31:57 AM »
I’ve had a husky 435 for 14 years. Cut anything you want. Never been in the shop. One of the co-ops that came over during the hurricane a couple of years ago had moved over to the battery saws. Said they liked them and from what I seen they worked jus as good. Looks like you pay jus as much if not more for one of them though.

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2020, 08:32:25 AM »
I bought a 251c about 15 months ago and it has been great. Pictured next to my saw is a friend's 391 that he told me to keep for him, it's a beast and I wouldn't want to lug it a round all day.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2020, 08:45:00 AM »

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2020, 10:59:19 AM »
I have a stihl ms391 and works great. Comes with a 16" I think but has good power. I put a skip tooth chain on a 20" bar and it will flat eat. Use some plastic wedges and get some work done. Even with the bigger bar and skip it still does well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2020, 11:00:27 AM »
I bought a 251c about 15 months ago and it has been great. Pictured next to my saw is a friend's 391 that he told me to keep for him, it's a beast and I wouldn't want to lug it a round all day.
391 is awesome. If its your "new" saw, go get a 20" bar.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2020, 08:34:22 AM »
@TravisMac  did you end up deciding on a chainsaw?

Online TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2020, 09:00:06 AM »
@TravisMac  did you end up deciding on a chainsaw?
I got the echo PAS power head and some attachments for my birthday, so I ordered the brush cutter and pole saw attachments. Jay lives close to the new house so going to borrow his if I come across anything too big for what I have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Travis Macdonald
Crossthreading is nature's locktite

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2020, 07:49:55 AM »
Since I love talking about chainsaws...this is the next one on the wish list for me (the Echo or the Stihl version):

/>
Top handle saws are great for limb-ing or just keeping in a vehicle for backcountry trips.

Online TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2020, 07:55:19 AM »
Since I love talking about chainsaws...this is the next one on the wish list for me (the Echo or the Stihl version):

/>
Top handle saws are great for limb-ing or just keeping in a vehicle for backcountry trips.
Why is one style better than the other for limbs vs felling an entire tree?

Travis Macdonald

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2020, 08:30:12 AM »

/>

You are opening a whole other can of worms here lol.. Go down the YouTube funnel of professional tree fellers sometime, that would be easier than to explain how they use the rounded handles for different cutting positions vs. just a top handle.

@Scott F. I was seriously thinking about a battery top handle rig for the Jeep, but I am afraid the battery wont hold charge for extended periods, even if I leave the battery off until I need to use it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 08:33:10 AM by Jeeptrk »
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Online TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2020, 08:37:00 AM »

/>

You are opening a whole other can of worms here lol.. Go down the YouTube funnel of professional tree fellers sometime, that would be easier than to explain how they use the rounded handles for different cutting positions vs. just a top handle.

@Scott F. I was seriously thinking about a battery top handle rig for the Jeep, but I am afraid the battery wont hold charge for extended periods, even if I leave the battery off until I need to use it.
I thought about that, but figured it would be one less opportunity for Scott to talk about chain saws and I didn’t want to do that to him

Travis Macdonald

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2020, 09:27:44 AM »
@TravisMac lol thanks for the opportunity.  For me not being a pro or anything, the top handle saws are super light and balanced for single handed use (although you will read in the documents the legal-ese saying to use two hands). These are climbing saws for pros.

IMO, when you have a tree on the ground, it’s easy and less tiring to walk down the tree limbing it with one hand and using your free hand to toss the limbs. Even general limbing of standing trees is easier than lifting up a full size chain saw.

@Jeeptrk  yea that battery concern is always in the back of my mind. I don’t have any experience with saw batteries yet, but the drill batteries just keep getting better over the last couple of years.  I have had good luck with all my Li-ion batteries so far.  Not like the old crappy Ni-Cad batteries from awhile back. 

I carry a jump box in my trunk that I take out every month or so and make sure it’s topped off. Might need to do something like that with a saw battery.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM