BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Jan 15th 2022 Forest Service Road Ride - discussion  (Read 1309 times)

Offline priyohere

• Visitor
Re: Jan 15th 2022 Forest Service Road Ride - discussion
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2022, 04:23:36 PM »
I was wondering the same thing. My bags are packed and I am coming. Heading over to smoky to get some snow action going after the ride

Over to Smokey?

somewhere in the Smoky Mountains, not entirely sure yet where, but somewhere in that area. I hear NC might get 20" of snow if the storm hits.   [cheers]

Id plan to be there when it starts, not head there after. The mountains between Franklin/Natahala/Cherokee will be shut down by DOT at the first sign of danger, then your only way will be 65? I believe back around by Asheville. Be prepared to be stuck where you go for a few days also, and dont plan on getting supplies on your way because the store shelves are already bare. Jus sayin.
Wow… thanks for the heads up. I lived in upper Midwest and travelled all over northern states in dead beat of winter and various storms…. They mostly don’t close roads. Well good to know and thanks for the tip on supplies as well. I will pick some stuff up from here

GA/southeast doesn't really have the same infrastructure to deal with cold weather. Ice or snow will shut down everything in a hurry since it happens so infrequently

Definitely not questioning anyones ability, just giving heads up. Everyone flocks up here and the law and first responders cant handle the loads so they just shut the steep stuff down.

We got hung on the mtn from Cherokee to Gatlinburg when I was little once, no fun.

Definitely appreciate the heads up. We just moved here some 6 months ago from upper midwest and its good to know the lay of the land instead of my usual "learn the hard way". I did some backup planning in case we cant head over to Smoky and in case we do and get stuck, will ensure we have enough supplies for 3-4 days.
Priyo
'19 Ram 1500 with 20" mall crawling wheels
'21 Jeep 4Xe on order

Offline Grass Janitor

• GATR STAFF
Re: Jan 15th 2022 Forest Service Road Ride - discussion
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2022, 06:14:03 PM »
As I feared my son has a wrestling meet tomorrow so I'm out.  Would love to join y'all.  Have fun! 
Sam- Silver 2012 JKUR on 37s

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM