BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Low pinion dana 60 with 3.5" tubes  (Read 593 times)

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
Re: Low pinion dana 60 with 3.5" tubes
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 04:10:24 PM »
9” is the way

Maybe if I already had 9" axles. I would need everything to build one whereas I already have dana 60 stuff laying around. I want a low pinion vs the heavy-ass high pinion I already have

What makes a low pinion lighter than a high pinion? 

A low pinion with 3.5 tubes probably weighs less than my high pinion 05+ axle with thicker and larger diameter tubes. The housing is more beef than I need.

I think I'd rather run a LP in the rear instead being on the wrong side of the HP gears

so no steering sterling??

It may still happen if I can't find a LP d60 with big tubes. I really want to offset the diff to the passenger side so it matches the front, then run the same shafts front and rear.

If I keep the sterling, the spline pressure angles will be different and shafts will no longer be interchangeable even though they're both 35 spline

the shafts are different lengths already

The axle will be modified to match the front axle, just a LP vs HP

on the sterling, the shafts are diff lengths from the factory.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Low pinion dana 60 with 3.5" tubes
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2022, 04:15:08 PM »
9” is the way

Maybe if I already had 9" axles. I would need everything to build one whereas I already have dana 60 stuff laying around. I want a low pinion vs the heavy-ass high pinion I already have

What makes a low pinion lighter than a high pinion? 

A low pinion with 3.5 tubes probably weighs less than my high pinion 05+ axle with thicker and larger diameter tubes. The housing is more beef than I need.

I think I'd rather run a LP in the rear instead being on the wrong side of the HP gears

so no steering sterling??

It may still happen if I can't find a LP d60 with big tubes. I really want to offset the diff to the passenger side so it matches the front, then run the same shafts front and rear.

If I keep the sterling, the spline pressure angles will be different and shafts will no longer be interchangeable even though they're both 35 spline

the shafts are different lengths already

The axle will be modified to match the front axle, just a LP vs HP

on the sterling, the shafts are diff lengths from the factory.

I know, I'm not using stock sterling shafts either way. I have to get new axles shafts for the steering axle, and I want them to use the same splines as the front 60.

IF I make a rear steer sterling with a centered diff, it will be made to use same length inners

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM