BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Jan 15 Forest Service Road Ride  (Read 856 times)

Online Cannonballkev

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Jan 15 Forest Service Road Ride
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2022, 04:23:48 PM »
It was such a success....
Thanks @classified for the route and leading. Good job at the drivers meeting also. As mentioned before we need to incorporate more of these and possibly make it an overland weekend trip......

Start thinking of some ideas

Thank you and Tony for helping keep up with the group, made my job so much easier.

Id like to do an overlanding trip  that still has some wheeling involved. Not necessarily hell's revenge everyday, but at least a reason to use 4wd. Maybe like an ultimate adventure where only a couple people know the route and everyone else is along for the ride. Probably with a little easier wheeling.

First we need to do a daytrip or 2 with a river crossing and a spot where you
have to use 4 wheel drive....maybe Beasley Knob. Then plan an overnight
overland trip. We need to find the fine line between forest road and the off
road parks. Once we achieve this > then the newer crowd will want more
and then maybe they will try an off road park.

Coppinger cove!
Get dirty, or get off the trail!

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 04:57:52 PM »
Thanks @classified for the route and leading. Good job at the drivers meeting also. As mentioned before we need to incorporate more of these and possibly make it an overland weekend trip......

Thank you and Tony for helping keep up with the group, made my job so much easier.

Id like to do an overlanding trip  that still has some wheeling involved. Not necessarily hell's revenge everyday, but at least a reason to use 4wd. Maybe like an ultimate adventure where only a couple people know the route and everyone else is along for the ride. Probably with a little easier wheeling.

Coppinger cove!

First off, its 3 hrs away. 2nd, I maybe wrong, but Im pretty sure they have started ticketing people in there for riding in the creeks, drinking, and trashing the place up. Sounds to me like they are starting to move towards closures. Its also a stretch to call the Cove "overlanding" , its more like beat your brains out on a shitty dirt road and call it wheeling haha.

I suggested the overnight thing before the FS ride and noone really responded. I think we can manage a few roads close to Beasly and then cut up and across the mountain on the main trails with little effort as long as they have good tires and 4wd. There is camping and water crossings close by (as well as inside Beasly) just depends on how far the group wants to go and how long they wanna spend riding/camping/wheeling. If this is a real thing people want to do then all we need is good weather and someone say plan it and it could happen.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 05:22:26 PM »
The way I remembered it was it was thought to be a great idea but was going to need some planning.
 I think it should be in warmer camping weather though. I was counting on you to help with the plans
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Online Cannonballkev

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2022, 05:22:59 PM »

Coppinger cove!

First off, its 3 hrs away. 2nd, I maybe wrong, but Im pretty sure they have started ticketing people in there for riding in the creeks, drinking, and trashing the place up. Sounds to me like they are starting to move towards closures. Its also a stretch to call the Cove "overlanding" , its more like beat your brains out on a shitty dirt road and call it wheeling haha.

I suggested the overnight thing before the FS ride and noone really responded. I think we can manage a few roads close to Beasly and then cut up and across the mountain on the main trails with little effort as long as they have good tires and 4wd. There is camping and water crossings close by (as well as inside Beasly) just depends on how far the group wants to go and how long they wanna spend riding/camping/wheeling. If this is a real thing people want to do then all we need is good weather and someone say plan it and it could happen.

I’ve never been to the cove, but from what I’ve seen , it looks like a cool place to ride and camp out at.  I could be wrong.  I don’t know about ticketing people.  If they are trashing it, then they should be ticketed .

I’m up for wherever
Get dirty, or get off the trail!

Offline extremetownie

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • He's a loser she said
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2022, 06:30:57 PM »
The new park Coalmont is part of coppinger cove. I with Justin, coppinger cove where I went was a far cry from the forestry rode trip.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 06:31:38 PM by extremetownie »

Online jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2022, 06:40:46 PM »
All I really recall at the cove that was cool was wheeling in a cave, otherwise it was a bunch of water crossings with some being pretty extreme. It wasn’t my favorite. 

If my TJ wasn’t under the knife I would have been at the recent forest service ride.  I really enjoy those rides and it looks like this one kept up that tradition.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2022, 06:57:44 PM »

Coppinger cove!

We went to Beasley back when the leaves were changing and they’ve done a good bit of grading as well as brought in some rock on 93B. We also checked out the camping area and it’s pretty big. I’d say enough for 8-10 spots. I’d be down for an overnight camping trip but I would t want to camp with a bunch from Facebookers. I’d leave it for forum members. Not necessarily CORE though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2022, 07:21:56 PM »
Ok let be clear an overnight would only be for forum members. We will leave the day trip forest roads rides to the facebookers. That was fun for what it was.

Forum members are my main concern and target for rejuvenation.
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2022, 08:36:46 PM »
The one time I went to coppinger (JKU, 35s, open/open) I thought it was a lot of fun. Not difficult, but scenic and a good day trip with lots of rocks.

@Rocksolidfab goes a good bit, I would like to hear his opinion

Offline classified

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2022, 12:25:18 AM »

I agree. Something like an ultimate adventure would need to be planned way in advance. Maybe something in the fall or spring next year.

The problem with the south east is that most "cool" places to wheel are closed or in a park. Gravel roads get old, because the scenery really never changes. NGa forest service road looks like a NGa forest service road. Most FS roads that do have any decent wheeling are "out and back" and make large groups hard to move around.

Beasley is a great place to get someone's feet wet. As long as it is dry
Brian Gibson
94 YJ

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2022, 08:51:24 AM »
Definitely down for a little warmer weather. There are 2 sides of Beasly with parking still, it would be meet and ride that direction on some dirt, wheel across the gap, camp on the other side, then some could wheel the next day and hit harder stuff if they wanted. Several places to go eat on a Sunday morning that are real close too if anyone needed to bail. All we really need to know is which direction the majority of the group would be coming from to plan a route - Helen-ish, Dawsonville, Buford, or 575/515. Then we would know which roads to hit, maybe even a brewery on our way or at least a good lunch somewhere. The only real issue is weather, they close Beasly if it rains much at all.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Online jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2022, 09:06:04 AM »
Here is an oldie but goodie.  This is when my son would come with me on some trips (he was filming).  Clark at Beasley in 2014

John
Tube chassis/buggy

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM