BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Coilover Install  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
Re: Coilover Install
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2022, 02:31:26 PM »
Goatbilt has this tool that makes it much easier to install 2.0 shocks. https://goatbuilt.com/product/shock-spacer-install-tool/

Or buy 2.5 shocks and not worry about it since the spacers slide into the shock eyes
I bought a set of those little suckers.  They help out quite a bit…for us 2.0 poor people
Went to install the shocks yesterday, ordered these today lol.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2022, 08:41:00 AM »
Goatbilt has this tool that makes it much easier to install 2.0 shocks. https://goatbuilt.com/product/shock-spacer-install-tool/

Or buy 2.5 shocks and not worry about it since the spacers slide into the shock eyes
I bought a set of those little suckers.  They help out quite a bit…for us 2.0 poor people

For those that dont want to order these, you can use some thick grease and the spacers will "stick" to the shock eyes to get them slid into place. The Goatbilt pins are actually kinda a pain sometimes to get the bolt lined up with and then you have to drive them out with a hammer bc the detent is pretty stout.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline Bruce

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2022, 08:51:19 AM »

For those that dont want to order these, you can use some thick grease and the spacers will "stick" to the shock eyes to get them slid into place. The Goatbilt pins are actually kinda a pain sometimes to get the bolt lined up with and then you have to drive them out with a hammer bc the detent is pretty stout.

Agreed, I bought them years ago, not sure I ever really used them or thought they were that much easier.  They are not lost in one of the drawers or some unlabeled box of parts.

sometimes a simple punch will do the trick as well.
Bruce
03 TJR
04.5 Dodge CTD
05 LJR
2017 JKU

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2022, 08:54:14 AM »

I thought about using grease but my tabs seem to be tight and it takes a little love tap to get the shock in place and I wasn't sure if the grease would be sticky enough for that. At the same time, I already now I'm going to have a problem with one shock on getting that pin out.
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2022, 09:25:27 AM »

I thought about using grease but my tabs seem to be tight and it takes a little love tap to get the shock in place and I wasn't sure if the grease would be sticky enough for that. At the same time, I already now I'm going to have a problem with one shock on getting that pin out.

Take a large persuasion hammer to those tabs and open them up slightly to give yourself some wiggle room going in, then your bolt will draw the tabs back up
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2022, 07:23:31 PM »

Take a large persuasion hammer to those tabs and open them up slightly to give yourself some wiggle room going in, then your bolt will draw the tabs back up
Sage advice. 

I always beat mine before I stick one in.   

Wayment

Offline extremetownie

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • He's a loser she said
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2022, 08:25:43 AM »
Amen

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM