BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Trying to choose a lift  (Read 928 times)

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
Re: Trying to choose a lift
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 03:34:37 PM »
Chris do you think there's anything else I would need other than shocks?
At 4" of lift, as others have stated, you will more than likely need an SYE, CV driveshaft and rear adjustable upper control arms to dial out the drivetrain vibes that come from lifting a TJ 4" or more.  I am 97% sure you will get driveline vibes.

I would for sure get the rear control arms. You can lower the belly down with a 1" drop and use the motor lift as well to help. But you will need the control arms for sure first! I ran mine for awhile this way and had little to no vibes. But once I put the sye and driveshaft in it was like a caddy... on big tires. ;)
I've grown tired of this.

Offline yellowxj

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 06:51:38 PM »
Sorry Travis in advance.  ;D

My experience with RC lifts are as follows:

1. Shocks that come with the kits are HORRIBLE.  They ride like a go kart.
2. The control arm quality is simply, ehhhh.............OK, and nothing more.  Cheap looking.  Welds werent impressive and thin metals are used on the bushing ends of the fixed length arms.
3. Powder coating chipped off arms and springs rather quickly..
4. Missing pieces to the kit.  Had to complain and get new pieces mailed.
5. Control arm poly bushings all tore in less than 6 weeks and needed to be replaced.  No biggie, just a hassle to take off all the arms and replace. I was sad.

Overall, RC is a "budget" style lift and some folks love it.  Alot of folks like it for a first time lift, but in the end, you will probably be switching to a different kit.  My theory is now to buy your second lift kit first and dont be awwed by saving $150 - $200 in advance for the RC kit.  You will NOT go wrong with Full Traction or Rubicon Express.  Will (Full Traction) and Ben's (KRAWLER00) Jeeps perform quite well as did my last TJ with Rubicon Express.

:) Your kit must have been put together on a Friday afternoon :) The cheap shocks are bad. The gas shocks make the ride a lot better.
I've never gone back to check the powder coating on one though, or seen a metal failure, or had bushings go bad... I've seen a lot of web wheeler warnings about RC but most people who say "dont buy RC" havent used it. I've seen poly bushing failures in procomp and rustys. Superlift springs settle. Rustys shipped with two different springs for the rear. Rustys track bars shear off at the frame. Tom woods driveshafts with welds ground down to thin or shipped with out grease. Warn winch fall apart on the trail, Superwinch break in half.
I guess I've seen a lot. But I havent seen everything. :)

I hope I get to trail ride this year.

Offline nwcj5

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 11:36:57 AM »
just to clarify before I go ordering anything, I UPPER REAR adjustable correct?

Chris Hyde

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 11:57:44 AM »
just to clarify before I go ordering anything, I UPPER REAR adjustable correct?

You really dont need rear adjustable uppers unless you do the SYE and CV shaft.  If  your just doing a lift, you dont really need adjustable uppers (unless the kit that you order comes with them).

Offline nwcj5

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 12:01:11 PM »
oh so really I can't do anything about the vibes I'm gonna get unless I do a CV and SYE, and if I do that I really need to do adjustables?

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 12:04:04 PM »
oh so really I can't do anything about the vibes I'm gonna get unless I do a CV and SYE, and if I do that I really need to do adjustables?

It's hard to say. With 3-4" MOST folks can get a way with dropping their transfer case a little. But still most of those folks will add an SYE to get their clearance back.
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline nwcj5

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 12:11:46 PM »
ok thanks a lot for the help guys, I think I'm just gonna give the transfer case drop a chance for a while and probably add the SYE and CV in a few months if it's bad...

Chris Hyde

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 12:13:59 PM »
ok thanks a lot for the help guys, I think I'm just gonna give the transfer case drop a chance for a while and probably add the SYE and CV in a few months if it's bad...

10-4.  See what happens when its all installed and then go from there.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 01:59:42 PM »

Check www.performanceoffroadcenter.com for a price on that SYE, they were running a special..... cheap. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 03:49:19 PM by Matt »

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2008, 02:00:44 PM »
What lift did you decide on?
I've grown tired of this.

Offline nwcj5

• Visitor
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 02:08:45 PM »
haven't made any orders yet, but I think I'm gonna go with the Full Traction kit, still trying to decide on shocks...

Offline nwcj5

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 02:13:31 PM »
holy smokes Doug, thanks a ton  :o...

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM