BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: My homemade CO2 setup  (Read 2727 times)

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: My homemade CO2 setup
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 04:57:17 PM »
Larry, an air tank is useless when airing up tires. :)

Your telling me an air tank hooked to a compressor with a 120 psi already in the tank is useless?
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Chris Hyde

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 05:04:08 PM »
120psi is irrelevant because you can have 120psi in a 1 gallon tank or a 100 gallon tank.  But yes, a small air tank is useless for airing up tires. :)  Unless you have a 30-50 gallon tank you are not storing enough air to even begin re-inflating. It's all about volume when you are talking about an air tank.  I tell you what.  You air down one of your 40's to 10psi then start airing back up.  If your tank is not empty and your compressor running within 20 seconds, I will buy your lunch.  :)  I would say 10 seconds, but I need w small window.  ;D

Also, unless your compressor has the duty cycle to keep up with the rate you are sending air out, you are working against yourself and over working the compressor.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 05:08:17 PM by Chris »

Offline pachary

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 05:56:17 PM »
Ah, but the CFM on my York 210 and 4gal tank sure makes short work of my 35s.  And the only upkeep is occasional oil for the York.  The only thing that takes up any room in my jeep is the coiled up hose.  "Pump all you want we'll make more!" (as long as we still have gasoline)

Hmmmmm, maybe some kid of retractable contraption for the hose....................................

Although I have to admit, the CO2 setups will actually keep the regulated pressure going until the tank is spent.  And the custom tank does look nice.

Paul
2005 TJ Unlimited

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 06:04:58 PM »
Ah, but the CFM on my York 210 and 4gal tank sure makes short work of my 35s.  And the only upkeep is occasional oil for the York.  The only thing that takes up any room in my jeep is the coiled up hose.  "Pump all you want we'll make more!" (as long as we still have gasoline)

Hmmmmm, maybe some kid of retractable contraption for the hose....................................

Although I have to admit, the CO2 setups will actually keep the regulated pressure going until the tank is spent.  And the custom tank does look nice.

Paul

Did you buy the bracket for your york? I haven't looked into it much, but if I went this route I'd be making my own. I lost interest in this because of those ridiculous prices of the mounting bracket. 
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Chris Hyde

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 07:08:49 PM »
Paul, your York OBA compressor is 100% duty and would blow a hole in the house if you needed to.  See, you got the right compressor.  ;D

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 07:25:56 PM »
120psi is irrelevant because you can have 120psi in a 1 gallon tank or a 100 gallon tank.  But yes, a small air tank is useless for airing up tires. :)  Unless you have a 30-50 gallon tank you are not storing enough air to even begin re-inflating. It's all about volume when you are talking about an air tank.  I tell you what.  You air down one of your 40's to 10psi then start airing back up.  If your tank is not empty and your compressor running within 20 seconds, I will buy your lunch.  :)  I would say 10 seconds, but I need w small window.  ;D

Also, unless your compressor has the duty cycle to keep up with the rate you are sending air out, you are working against yourself and over working the compressor.

I forgot the CO2 is in liquid form in the tank. But an air tank does help you to have some volume on hand already.
My need is to reseat a broken bead and fil back up to a wopping 7 psi. :)

I want a york but it the $$$ thats stop me.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 07:27:59 PM by lt99ls1 »
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

mdo817

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 01:51:22 AM »
I just picked up a YORK 210 from a 240 Volvo at pull-a-part last Thursday. It was like $27 with a 30 day warranty. I was able to cut the hoses long so this should help during the install. It had a double V-Belt clutch, I took it to work and modified that so it will work with a serpentine. Just finished fabbing a mount tonight that is adjustable so I don't have to fight the adjustment on the power steering pump for the belt anymore, it will all be up top and easy to adjust/change belts as needed. The engine I put in during the swap was out of an XJ and had a/c on it, I made the mount were it just bolts up where the POS compressor mounted. The york is a right hand suction so I can lay it on it's side and the suction line is up top. I also fabbed up an aluminum tank out of some 6061 pipe, pressure tested it to 250 lbs., might not use it if I can't find a place to mount it. I hope to have it all in before RR, but not sure I'm going to have time to slap the ARB I have had sitting around for my 30 though. Long winded I know but what I was trying to get at is don't be scared to grab a beer and some tools and fab something up. DIY is always more fun, not always cheaper, but it's the way you wanted it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline pachary

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »

Did you buy the bracket for your york? I haven't looked into it much, but if I went this route I'd be making my own. I lost interest in this because of those ridiculous prices of the mounting bracket. 
[/quote]

Will,

I did buy the Kilby bracket.  And yes I agonized over it for a long time while my York sat on my workbench.  I HATE to spend money without good reason.

Before anyone judges cost vs value, let's look at the big picture.  I work in a steel mill.  I really like to build stuff.  The only other person that has wrenched on my Jeep is the guy that set up my gears.  I have welders and torch at the house here.  I have done some fab work, and am not scared of failure.  My Jeep is an 05 LJ.

To mount the York cleanly in a 4Liter 05 Jeep with air,  there is one place that I could see to mount it.  That place is right where the alternator is.   The Kilby bracket relocates the alternator to a lower spot and locates the York right on top.  You use ONE serpentine belt just like stock.  The bracket also serves as adjustment mechanism since the tensioner is lost in the squeeze play.  And it comes with hardware and serpentine belt.

I know my time is worth what Kilby wants for this "bracket".  It lines up two pulleys with the rest of the engine accessories.  I haven't been riding with you guys yet, but I sure don't want to be the one to hold up a ride because my pulleys were out of line enough to ruin a belt at a bad time.  The bracket is also about 1/4" thick.

How much do you guys make an hour?  Fabbing up a bracket, ACCURATELY, with everything square is going to take quite a few of those hours.  How much does a 1'x2' piece of plate cost?  Don't forget to zinc plate it afterwards.  Get the hardware and belt too.

Now if you have a model that can utilize a salvaged bracket (ie: CJs), then who needs an "expensive" bracket.  I know that $260 I spent for Mr Kilby's bracket isn't the most foolish money I have spent on this money pit!

YMMV,  but despite my doubts, I am satisfied with the bracket I bought.

{toast}Paul

Oh, if I can be of help, I did learn some stuff putting this thing in. 
2005 TJ Unlimited

Offline pachary

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 08:47:39 AM »
MDO,

That bracket looks great.  I agree with you about the pride in building your own, but  also agree that sometimes cost s can get out of hand.

Paul
2005 TJ Unlimited

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 01:14:54 PM »
I actually thought it was more than that. I really want a York setup. It will be a little further down the road for me I think. I need to regear and get 35s this Christmas.

I may buy a CO2 regulator and use my two 5 pound paintball tanks until then. I get those filled for $5 a piece.   {toast}
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 02:00:51 PM »
I just picked up a YORK 210 from a 240 Volvo at pull-a-part last Thursday. It was like $27 with a 30 day warranty. I was able to cut the hoses long so this should help during the install. It had a double V-Belt clutch, I took it to work and modified that so it will work with a serpentine. Just finished fabbing a mount tonight that is adjustable so I don't have to fight the adjustment on the power steering pump for the belt anymore, it will all be up top and easy to adjust/change belts as needed. The engine I put in during the swap was out of an XJ and had a/c on it, I made the mount were it just bolts up where the POS compressor mounted. The york is a right hand suction so I can lay it on it's side and the suction line is up top. I also fabbed up an aluminum tank out of some 6061 pipe, pressure tested it to 250 lbs., might not use it if I can't find a place to mount it. I hope to have it all in before RR, but not sure I'm going to have time to slap the ARB I have had sitting around for my 30 though. Long winded I know but what I was trying to get at is don't be scared to grab a beer and some tools and fab something up. DIY is always more fun, not always cheaper, but it's the way you wanted it.

How much for you to fab up another bracket?
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 03:38:12 PM »

How much for you to fab up another bracket?

;D X2
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM