BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Saving Money  (Read 1525 times)

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: Saving Money
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 08:49:58 AM »
Ok so we shopped at Kroger tonight and saved about $20 over Publix. This included buying 10 cans of soup for $10 (not normal items but Megan wanted it) and booklet of stamps (around $8). Since I am so anal we are going to keep the list and reciept and go buy the exact same things, minus the stamps and soup, from Publix and see if we did indeed save cash.

We usually shop at Kroger 'cause its closer, but their fresh meats/seafood sucks generally. We get that stuff from the Fresh Market. More expensive, but weeeellllll worth it.

We buy groceries at Wal-mart.  Linda did the comparison with Publix and Kroger, and it was huge.  She figures for our family of 4, and all the lake entertaining we do in the summer, it saves us 20%, or $2400 a year.  After shopping at Wal-Mart, she stops at the Publix on the way home to pick any specialties needed, fresh fruit Wally World didn't have, vegetables, or a specialty cheese, etc.  We are of the believe that manuagacturers coupons are good, but chasing store couopns is worthless unless you're already going that way.

Sorry Adam.  :P

BigJerm

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 08:55:58 AM »
We usually shop at Kroger 'cause its closer, but their fresh meats/seafood sucks generally. We get that stuff from the Fresh Market. More expensive, but weeeellllll worth it.

I did notice that lastnight but its not to big a deal for us. Our meat selection consist of ground turkey for taco's or hamburger helper, pork chops and chicken and the occasional stew meat for  beef tips.

Maybe we should look into a Wal-mart as well. Only thing that sucks is Publix and Kroger are less than 2 miles from the apartment Wal-mart is more like 6 miles or so but a pain in the ass to get there... not to mention I hate shopping at Wal-mart with a passion. It would take a decent amount of savings to go there for me.

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 10:21:51 AM »
I own a 4x4 there is no saving of money.  :'(
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

ghostdancer308

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 10:35:56 AM »
I just got to ask, but what do you do for a living? Have you looked into a career change and have you exhausted all your options? I still apply for 1 job a month because what I do is not forever and I have been very broke. S***, if it came down to it, join the military. Toy purchases can be put on the backburner till after you establish a steady flow of income. Its not getting any better(economy). Raman noodles are cheap. This is what I lived off of for 4 months. Times were bad. Don't wake up 10 months from now wishing you would have taken a chance. By the way, this is just a general question. Just throwing it out there. ;D

BigJerm

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 11:03:47 AM »
I am a license coordinator for Home Depot At-Home Services. Pay isnt bad and all but toss in bills, 2 jeep payments, apartment rent, food bill and that takes a nice chunk of change out of Megan's and my pocket. Then count in a little wild spending on the credit card when we first moved in and an $1100 trip to the emergency room for some stiches and here I am in today's situation. If it wasnt for the last 2 I would be doing just fine but I have the urge to get out from under both bills (only $249 left for the ER visit now and that will be payed off by end of week!). Then its on to the CC.

I have talked about looking for another job but just never have. No college degree yet and tough economy seems to be my main exscuse for it. I don't dislike my current job and they are paying for half of my education so it would be tough to leave, esp 3 years into it.

ghostdancer308

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 11:30:04 AM »
I don't even have benefits like I use to. I shell out 500 a month in that department. I just took 18k out of my savings, and paid the IRS last week. You have to stay hungry and always looking, never settle. I plan on applying to the DEA next year. I have been lazy towards school, but I am slowly getting back into it myself. I lack 38 credits for a BA, but I am LAZY when it comes to papers and I am horrible at upper level math.(trig, cal). I had to breakdown and see a financial advisor in 2005. It openned my eyes when it came to money. And sometimes this outside help shows you some kind of enlightenment.

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 12:37:24 PM »
Calc and trig are easy, just shell out $100 for this bad boy:

- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

urdaddyjeep

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 12:39:37 PM »
a hundie for that and 1k for someone to teach him to use it... there is that 10% rule that has to apply... and in that case G is pucked big time...

Not to jump on the wagon here but if I can make do on one income of less then 40k with 2 truck payments child support and a new baby... with alittle left over for toys why is it that others cant do the same with 2 incomes?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 12:44:48 PM by urdaddyjeep »

Offline Ben H.

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 01:37:22 PM »
Calc and trig are easy, just shell out $100 for this bad boy:

I hate my 89. I have no idea how to do anything on it like matrices or other easy 83+ stuff. But I do like how you can scroll up to other equations.
1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8

Offline StevenH

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 01:48:34 PM »
Wait until you have kids, I have four sons and could probably field an XRRA entry for the money it takes to feed them  ;D

I told them this weekend that as soon as they are all 18 I'm buying a cabin in the mountains  :D
bolt-ons suck

ghostdancer308

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 03:51:44 PM »
Good call Mike-
 I got child support going out also! ;D Such is life!! Oh, I had the Texas Instruments calculator. It kept paper from falling off my desk. Thats was the extent of use I got out of it before I got a big "W" in that class!!

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 04:18:24 PM »
Wait until you have kids, I have four sons and could probably field an XRRA entry for the money it takes to feed them  ;D

I told them this weekend that as soon as they are all 18 I'm buying a cabin in the mountains  :D
Holy crap, 4 boys?  Got stock in Wal-Mart?  The groceries alone would buy another trail ride.  How old are they?

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM