BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: The official/Non official 2010 Rubicon Trip  (Read 21720 times)

BigJerm

Re: The official/Non official 2010 Rubicon Trip
« Reply #144 on: April 11, 2009, 12:14:31 AM »
its never just jeeps with us! Although it does seem if you plan to hit Moab you better be on minimum 33's, atleast 1 locker but sounds like you need front and rear locked for best results.

Offline Brad

• Visitor
  • JACK IT UP!
« Reply #145 on: April 11, 2009, 12:27:18 AM »
i'm on 31's now but by then hopefully 36's or 37's and a winch :)
2000 dodge durango mall crawler

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #146 on: April 11, 2009, 12:31:00 AM »
its never just jeeps with us! Although it does seem if you plan to hit Moab you better be on minimum 33's, atleast 1 locker but sounds like you need front and rear locked for best results.

You can run 3, 4, 5 rated trails with 1, but you'll need both lockers to run 6's and 7's.

Here are the trail ratings:

http://www.rr4w.com/pageview.aspx?id=20715

http://centralpt.com/upload/329/2009Paper/7700_page44_EJSafari2009.pdf

TONS of info:

http://www.rr4w.com/pageview.aspx?id=27303

BigJerm

« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2009, 09:35:31 AM »
You can run 3, 4, 5 rated trails with 1, but you'll need both lockers to run 6's and 7's.

Here are the trail ratings:

http://www.rr4w.com/pageview.aspx?id=20715

http://centralpt.com/upload/329/2009Paper/7700_page44_EJSafari2009.pdf

TONS of info:

http://www.rr4w.com/pageview.aspx?id=27303

I can run them all Doug! I will be the white JK Dumbass of the GATR ride... no line can stop me  {nln}

Offline Brad

• Visitor
  • JACK IT UP!
« Reply #148 on: April 11, 2009, 10:06:03 AM »
can't wait!!!!  :)  {toast}
2000 dodge durango mall crawler

Online Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #149 on: April 11, 2009, 10:32:17 AM »
Haha, instead of BigJerm, he is now known as SuperJerm with the SuperJK ;D

Did we ever hear anymore about that guy?
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline wtheonew

• Visitor
« Reply #150 on: April 12, 2009, 06:52:21 PM »
So the plan is to hit trails that more or less require 33s and 2 lockers? What about a locker in the rear and a LSD in the front?

I'm trying to throw together a rough budget for this to see if it's even feasible for me to try.  Too bad I can't work more then 13 weeks a year.

If I do end up on the trip I'd probably leave on the 8/9th total day.  Not sure if I can wing more then 5 days off like that.

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #151 on: April 12, 2009, 06:56:27 PM »
Don't waste your money on an LSD! Aussie = bet $250 you will ever spend!
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #152 on: April 12, 2009, 07:17:09 PM »
So the plan is to hit trails that more or less require 33s and 2 lockers? What about a locker in the rear and a LSD in the front?

Jimmy is right.  Go for the Aussie.  You'll never know it's there until you put it in 4wd.  If you can swing it, get a selectable locker.  Limited slip is not the same as a locker, and will not allow you to crawl the step obstacles sometimes, as only 1 on that axle is pulling until slip occurs, and by then (You're an engineer right?) all others are slipping, and it will engage the others to spin, and you never got a chance to easy does it and crawl.

As far as the trip, there is a lot of planning that has to go into it, and I'll be discussing with others (I'm certainly not in charge, but will help all I can) and making a plan.  We discovered some neat stuff (more to come later) that will make our trip unique, comfortable, and memorable.  A trip to Moab requires a large commitment.  We'll start a new thread for the trip, after we get a plan together.

TJ, it would be great if you could go.  I think you'll need 33's and lockers at minimum, and you'll get to see all the scenery, and by pass a few obstacles.  We by passed a few too.  :o

Offline wtheonew

• Visitor
« Reply #153 on: April 12, 2009, 07:34:52 PM »

Jimmy is right.  Go for the Aussie.  You'll never know it's there until you put it in 4wd.  If you can swing it, get a selectable locker.  Limited slip is not the same as a locker, and will not allow you to crawl the step obstacles sometimes, as only 1 on that axle is pulling until slip occurs, and by then (You're an engineer right?) all others are slipping, and it will engage the others to spin, and you never got a chance to easy does it and crawl.

As far as the trip, there is a lot of planning that has to go into it, and I'll be discussing with others (I'm certainly not in charge, but will help all I can) and making a plan.  We discovered some neat stuff (more to come later) that will make our trip unique, comfortable, and memorable.  A trip to Moab requires a large commitment.  We'll start a new thread for the trip, after we get a plan together.

TJ, it would be great if you could go.  I think you'll need 33's and lockers at minimum, and you'll get to see all the scenery, and by pass a few obstacles.  We by passed a few too.  :o

:-X my bad, I meant Aussi.  I've had multiple very long days lately so I'm not being very intelligent right now.  The only problem I have with going selectable up front is the $1000 price tag when I would probably regear a year or so afterward.  The $250 Aussi is a little easier to stomach for being something a little more temporary.  lol, the D30 is the only part of my Jeep that I don't have a good plan for. I'm sure others have been in the 'do I put money into a D30 or wait and upgrade to a 44/60 later?' camp.

Tire plans are 35" KM2s unless something netter comes out at a better price point.  The cost difference between a lift and 35s is almost nill compared to a lift and 33s for a JK so why not.  2.5" coils, with the .75" spacers, or cut fenders and no spacers.  1.25" spacers for the wheels. I love my Moabs.

Rockers (yeah I'm getting on that one of these days :P), evap skid or relocate, oil pan and trans skid, and a gas tank skid (my tank is a good gallon short right now).

What am I missing? Easier to plan when you're not missing a $500 part, lol.

BigJerm

« Reply #154 on: April 12, 2009, 08:06:08 PM »
Doug is right... we still got a lot of plans to go through. Moab is awesome but sometimes I still think hitting the Rubicon would be awesome too... its just a little more driving (ok a lot more)

Offline wtheonew

• Visitor
« Reply #155 on: April 12, 2009, 10:27:44 PM »
Doug is right... we still got a lot of plans to go through. Moab is awesome but sometimes I still think hitting the Rubicon would be awesome too... its just a little more driving (ok a lot more)

If you all hit the Rubicon first I would just meet you out in Moab the next weekend.  The extra mileage and time off would be hard to swing.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM