BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: The official/Non official 2010 Rubicon Trip  (Read 21254 times)

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
Re: The official/Non official 2010 Rubicon Trip
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2008, 11:00:10 AM »
If we are looking at going sometime after June 1st, maybe the good ole tax return can help fund the trip!
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

BigJerm

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2008, 11:05:38 AM »
I hear ya. When it gets closer to the actual trip time we need to talk about options. If the money is there hitting the Rubicon and Moab would be awesome but I figure adding in Moab probably adds on another 150 miles of travel and trails easy, supplies for the days on the trails in Moab not to mention a few more days. As posted on the first page, figure if we left on a Saturday morning, we could hit the Rubicon, Moab and be back home Thursday of the next week. But if we did just the Rubicon it would look more like

-Leave Saturday
-Get into a hotel by the Rubicon Monday night
-Gather supplies and head in Tuesday afternoon. Get off the Rubicon sometime Friday mid morning, early afternoon and get an early start home and we can take a little slower, more enjoyable pace since we will have 3.5 days instead of 3.
-Be back home Monday mid to late day having 3.5 days to make the drive back instead of 3 on the way there.

For the money that would be better. On paper the miles for only 3 or so days of wheeling sucks but it’s not like we have that trail here or much of anything like it. It does mean having to figure out somewhere to hotel/camp Saturday night and Sunday night on the way there (Monday night is hotel for sure for me). Then 3.5 days of supplies on the trail and then 3 nights of hotel/camping on the way home. Figure we get home Monday, take Tuesday off, and for those who needed it, could be back to work Wednesday.

I figured if we did the Yellowstone/Rubicon option it would end up taking about the same time as the Moab version, maybe a day less but is a bit more driving where as Moab is only 100 miles off.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2008, 11:38:48 AM »
I've grown tired of this.

BigJerm

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2008, 11:54:33 AM »
It sure doesnt!

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2008, 11:56:58 AM »
If the money is there hitting the Rubicon and Moab would be awesome but I figure adding in Moab probably adds on another 150 miles of travel and trails easy, supplies for the days on the trails in Moab not to mention a few more days.
Then 3.5 days of supplies on the trail and then 3 nights of hotel/camping on the way home.

I figured if we did the Yellowstone/Rubicon option it would end up taking about the same time as the Moab version, maybe a day less but is a bit more driving where as Moab is only 100 miles off.

Jeremy,

If you're going all that way, go ahead and take a few extra days off (even without pay) to enjoy the Rubicon and some of the Moab trails.  It's a once in a lifetime trip for most.  For me, Yellowstone is for the family, fly up, rent a car, and see the entire area for a week or more.  You'll have a family before too long.   ;)  I want 2 full weeks minimum if possible if driving a Rubicon/Moab trip. Just thinking about some great nights by the camp fire sounds awesome. 

I can sleep in the Tahoe at rest stops traveling out and back, to decrease the days on the road, and lower the cost. Shower at a truck stop for $5 when I need one.

I'll need a new tow rig by 2010.  Diesel?

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2008, 12:00:34 PM »
Doug, you are right. No hotels, no yellowstone. Sleep in the rig. I want every dime I have goin to gas and food. Now you also need to take into consideration breakin somethin. Maybe an extra cash flow set aside incase? But all my $ is goin to gas and food. Pull over at a rest station, catch a few zzzz's and get goin again!
I've grown tired of this.

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2008, 12:03:43 PM »
Doug, F650 and a 3 car goose neck  ;D
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Rockinwrangler

• Visitor
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2008, 12:24:05 PM »
Just a thought.  You can rent a modified Rubicon in Moab for 175.00 / day.  That way if you break something it is on them..  I have seen these in person and they look really good.  I flew out there 2 years in a row .  the 1st year cost 218.00 round trip.  The 2nd year was 10.00 round drip...  Skymiles..ha ha ha .  I flew into Salt Lake City and rented a car for 150.00 to drive the 4 hrs to Moab.

It is just a thought..

Here is a link to the jeep rentals.. They have a package for the Safari.

http://cliffhangerjeeprental.com/rubicons.html
"A well built rig is one that is road worthy after a day on the trail"

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2008, 12:24:10 PM »
All the Moab trails info, by trail:
http://www.centralpt.com/pageview.aspx?id=16364

New Moab trail ratings:

1- County dirt road maintained for high clearance 2WD and 4WD use in adverse conditions.

2- County dirt road with infrequent or light maintenance after rain or snow, 2WD high clearance with low gears, otherwise light duty 4WD.

3- Road with frequent use, but seldom maintained. Dirt, sand and slick rock surfaces, with mud holes possible (note: maybe impassable when wet due to soil composition.). 4WD recommended under most circumstances due to ruts or wash erosion.

4- Road surface consisting of loose rock, dirt, and sand with some slickrock surfaces. Erosion, washes, gulches and rock steps no higher than 12". 4WD is recommended with good ground clearance and driving skills. Aggressive tires and limited slip would be a plus. Water and mud is possible.

5- Road surfaces are rutted, rocky and sandy with steps not exceeding 14", with considerable slickrock surfaces. Water not exceeding 12" with some mud possible. Good vehicle approach and departure angles are helpful. Tall tires (33" plus) and traction added device (lockers, limited slips) is recommended. Above average driving skills are desirable.

6- Roads are difficult with considerable erosion damage repaired just enough to be passable. Water in excess of 12" is possible with mud conditions. Steps not exceeding 24". Tall tires (33" plus) with traction added devices (lockers, limited slips) are recommended. A winch would be a plus. Enhanced suspension travel and ground clearance are helpful. Excellent driving skills are recommended.

7- Trail consists of rock; sand and considerable slickrock with many steps exceeding 24". Steep inclines and declines are prevalent. Enhanced off road equipment is required including locking devices (front & rear), tall tires, maximum vehicle ground clearance, and tow hooks. A winch is desirable. Excellent driving skills are required. Vehicle mechanical or body damage is likely. Roll over possibilities exist.

8- Extreme trail similar to #7 except a bit more extreme. Excellent driving skills are required. Vehicle damage is likely. Equipment or mechanical damage is probable.

9- Extreme and beyond, similar to #8. Vehicle damage is likely. Excellent driving skills are required. Roll over is very common. Winches, spare parts and tools are recommended. Be prepared to spend the night on the trail. Beyond the capability of most modified stock vehicles.

10- Let the carnage begin! Buggy territory. Street driven 4X4’s should not attempt this trail. Modified factory vehicles will not be able to complete this trail.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2008, 12:35:35 PM »
Just a thought.  You can rent a modified Rubicon in Moab for 175.00 / day.  That way if you break something it is on them..  I have seen these in person and they look really good.  I flew out there 2 years in a row .  the 1st year cost 218.00 round trip.  The 2nd year was 10.00 round drip...  Skymiles..ha ha ha .  I flew into Salt Lake City and rented a car for 150.00 to drive the 4 hrs to Moab.

It is just a thought..

I don't want to do any trail in somebody else's Jeep.   >:(

Did you read the contract?  Hahahaha  It says.............
What happens if I damage a jeep?
While the Jeep is rented to you, it is basically your vehicle.  You will be responsible to pay for any damage that is done to the vehicle while in your possession.  We do offer a tire and glass coverage for $20.00 per day that will cover the repair/replacement of 1 tire, and any glass damage. If you take it slow and are careful there shouldn't be any problems.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 12:39:15 PM by Doug »

BigJerm

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2008, 12:44:01 PM »
You guys are right; sleeping in the rig at rest stops can be done... Might get a little hot though in June! That’s why I figured on campgrounds paying $5 a night BUT it could be hard to find ones convenient enough for the trip or not already booked up by the time we get there at night. I also have no issues with Pop-Tarts for breakfast! The only time I plan to for sure stay hotel is the night before the Rubicon. Figure might as well get a good rested sleep and shower. The next day we will have to get food, water, ect in some town close by anyways. Megan so far plans to come on the trip which makes the sleeping in the rig a little more complicated but last night she said she didn’t know if work would give 2 weeks and she would be in grad school so its looking more and more like it will be just me.

As far as length, 2 weeks is all I can spare in June. After June I wont have a chance at 2 weeks since we start our Florida License renewals in July and thats 422 license municipalities, 6 guys to license in each one, got to be done by September… OUCH!! So far I have my eyes set on early/mid June

As far as spare parts… I am going to try and snag some stock driveshafts, make sure I got some Fix-A-Flat and a patch kit and probably get a spare CB mic because wouldn’t that suck to lose your CB on a trip like this? I really only plan on running 33’s on the Jeep so if I break a D44 on 33’s…. well I am going to set the Jeep on fire where it sits and walk away…

Offline Rockinwrangler

• Visitor
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2008, 01:09:28 PM »

It is just a thought..

I don't want to do any trail in somebody else's Jeep.   >:(

Did you read the contract?  Hahahaha  It says.............
What happens if I damage a jeep?
While the Jeep is rented to you, it is basically your vehicle.  You will be responsible to pay for any damage that is done to the vehicle while in your possession.  We do offer a tire and glass coverage for $20.00 per day that will cover the repair/replacement of 1 tire, and any glass damage. If you take it slow and are careful there shouldn't be any problems.

Sounds like we need to move to Moab and start renting Jeeps.  I saw that after the post..  hahah
"A well built rig is one that is road worthy after a day on the trail"

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM