BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Make a good thing out of a bad situation?  (Read 328 times)

Offline georgiatj

• Visitor
Make a good thing out of a bad situation?
« on: November 18, 2008, 04:17:42 PM »
Sooooo...my little brother was in a car wreck this last week is his TJ.  He is fine but the Jeep is not doing all to well, it may be totaled.  We told the insurance and mechanic to do whatever is necessary to save it because we wouldn't get the value out of it with the money we would get back (we found him a 99 TJ w/ less than 10k miles on it in perfect condition)

So worse case scenario, if it is totaled, does anyone know if it is possible for us to take the engine which should be unharmed and use it for a swap into my TJ? I have a 97 4 banger and a 4.0L out of 99 TJ with less than 10k miles on it would be sweet!

If I did do that would it be worth taking the auto tranny as well? The auto is easier to wheel for sure but i can't see myself driving a jeep without a stick, but a six cylinder auto with 4.10 gears has to have a lot more get up and go than 4 banger manual with 4.10s.

Anyone have any suggestions, ideas, etc?
Go dawgs!

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
Re: Make a good thing out of a bad situation?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 04:47:34 PM »
Depending on how much they want for it, just buy the Jeep back from them if they total it. They shouldn't charge much and will just take that cost out of your check. Keep what you want, sell the rest, and recycle anything thats left.

I had a 1990 SCHP Mustang that got totalled. Insurance company said it was worth $1500, I bought it back for
$200. So I have a $1300 check. I used the engine, trans, and some other stuff for a while before I sold it for $1000. After I took everything out that I wanted, I sold the rolling chassis back to my buddy I got it from for $400. So, I ended up getting $2700 out of the car they were gonna pay me $1500 for.
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

Offline georgiatj

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 04:49:42 PM »
hmmm sweet! good info man!
Go dawgs!

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 06:31:25 PM »
If you dont use the A/T and pedals, etc. I may be interested.

Manuals are great, Autos are great. Depends on how you like to drive.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 06:52:36 PM »
Got any pictures of it after the wreck? Could help with figuring out how much of it is usable. Also from experience, having an entire vehicle makes engine swaps way easier and it won't nickel and dime you to death.
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

mdo817

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 07:00:52 PM »
Got any pictures of it after the wreck? Could help with figuring out how much of it is usable. Also from experience, having an entire vehicle makes engine swaps way easier and it won't nickel and dime you to death.

I think you will be able to plug and play the wiring harness, the biggest deal is cutting the engine mounts off and welding new ones on to fit the 4.0 in, but that isn't that big of a deal. If it could be had cheap and you want a little challenge I'd say jump on it. As far as the Auto, after wheeling my XJ with a auto it's so much nicer that the 5 speed, but Wranglers are supposed to have a stick.

Offline georgiatj

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 07:25:55 PM »
I dont have any pics yet, i'll try to get some up soon. I may see it this upcoming week when I get a chance to get back to the parent's house.  They are gonna try to fix it but apparently it could be a ton of reconstruction work.  It was not bad enough where my dad could not drive it to the mechanic but when he got there the guy said it was dangerous and he should not have driven it. 

I think you will be able to plug and play the wiring harness, the biggest deal is cutting the engine mounts off and welding new ones on to fit the 4.0 in, but that isn't that big of a deal. If it could be had cheap and you want a little challenge I'd say jump on it. As far as the Auto, after wheeling my XJ with a auto it's so much nicer that the 5 speed, but Wranglers are supposed to have a stick.

I would love the challenge but time is not on my side any longer with classes and work and I don't have the tools any more.  Back in high school I would be all over it, but i may see what the costs are on the swap and go from there...ya never know it may work out  ;D

But this is all preliminary, I don't know if its even going to be totaled out yet or not
Go dawgs!

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM