BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Getting in shape 2008 / 2009 / 2010  (Read 46882 times)

urdaddyjeep

Re: Getting in shape
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 12:56:27 PM »
listen i have rucked over 300 miles i under 3 weeks... my last ruck march of the 3rd week was just a tad over 26miles...did it in just about 8 hrs...

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 12:58:04 PM »
Holy crap! Now MikeD is a gay knuckle dragging mongoloid leprechaun that wears a pink too-too. I think he needs  :hlp
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

ghostdancer308

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 01:03:19 PM »
Quit living in the past!! What about now? Do cross-fit. Tell me what you think. Most of the military is implementing this stuff.

BigJerm

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 01:05:58 PM »
There are a few guys in this club that dwarf me. I am a little guy.  

aint that the truth  ;D

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 01:58:06 PM »
Ok Glen, let's look at calories for a minute. On a previous diet I used the method of 60% carbs, 20% protein, and 20% fat to make up the days count. The biggest problem i had was trying to figure out how many calories I should be consuming in a day. I was eating around 1700 cal. a day and my friend who is into body building suggested that I was not eating enough and should be eating around 3000 cal. a day, which I thought was too much, but I did seem to feel better but was not losing much weight.

Also, how many calories do you actually burn from jogging? I realize that's a loaded question but lets set some parameters such as jogging 3 miles at 3 mph. That may be a little slow but were just starting.
Chuck & Sherry

ghostdancer308

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 02:16:19 PM »
Roughly 100 calories a mile is a good way to gauge it. But, yes, it depends on speed and intesity. Where a bunch of people go wrong to include myself, you do a good cardio session and binge the next meal. You think you earned it because you worked out. Thats a no-no. You buddy is also right, but, he is a bodybuilder. Different lifestyle altogether. These guys try to take in 1 to 1.5 grams of protien per pound of bodyweight. This seems like a ton, but you will have a full feeling throughout the day. I am not bragging but I am going to use myself and what I do. Its just a model. I take in 4-6 shakes a day. I use only a few tyep of supplements and rarely ever do I use fatburners. Your friend has not mentioned that you can take in to much protien and store it as fat if you are not hitting the gym regularly. Bodybuilders try to keep a high balance of nitrogen with all the protien. This is technical, but easy to achieve. Water consumption- this will help you stay full all day as well. I use crystal light to flavor the water. You will feel watery but its just in your head. Its also a natural diauretic. Lastly, I write all my food intake down. Yup, sounds OCD, but you can't BS yourself. Eat strict/healthy for 6 days and on the 7th, have a cheat day. If you crave sweets, eat some, just in moderation. Basically, you are carb deprived and your body needs sugar. Hope this helps, we can get into when and what to take for pre and post workout if you want. Let me know.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 02:31:18 PM »
One point I tell people is don't expect to get this thing going and have results right off the bat. It takes time and dedication. Start with 3 times a week of activity for about an hour. Trust me, you will be sore. Work in cardio with lifting if you can. Or do push ups, squats, sit ups in home stuff. Main thing is to stay active! I know sit behind the desk all day but I still go home and try to be active. I also eat 3 meals a day with a snack in between meals so I keep my metabolism high. If you do what so many dumb butts do and stop eating meals then you will get fatter and no results will come. Atleast eat 3 meals a day, good meals, protein, lean meat veggies. I used to be into bodybuilding back when I was full of free time! Worked out 2 times a day, ate 6 meals a day and drank about 6 protein shakes a day with supplemental pills. It was hard for me to gain since I am so tall. Don't go the body builder route. You will end up fat for sure like Glen said. I would suggest a mens health mag since they are about where I am. Lean, and do a good mix of cardio and lifting. Just take it slow in the beginning! Most people give up after less than a month! No results, trust me it is working. Just takes time. I hike, bike, treadmill work in the yard etc. Just be active and eat right.
I've grown tired of this.

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 02:33:02 PM »
When you say shakes are you talking about a protein drink like Syntha 6?
Chuck & Sherry

ghostdancer308

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 02:41:36 PM »
Ben is right on. Cosistency is key and stay motivated. As for protien, syntha6 and all BSN products are high end. Trust ma, I have a stack of their stuff sitting next to me as we speak. I think protien is protien though. Your body will only process so much of it and the rest you sh** out and fart out-GAS!!! I buy my protien in bulk(10lbs) at a time. I take in whey first thing in the morning, 30 minutes before meals, right after workouts and right before bed. The night time shake usually has casein protien in it. It just burns slower than whey is all. Shakes before meals help with over eating and it seems like these days, you get enough carbs in meals. Limit bready stuff as well.

BigJerm

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 02:48:15 PM »
Yes dont do the body builder routine... I have been out of the game awhile but in highschool I lived in the weight room. I was 6'5", 255 lbs and an offensive tackle/defensive end. I consumed close to 4000 calories a day, ate 7 "meals" a day but rarely ever did cardio. I need to be as strong as I could for no more than 10 seconds so all my workouts were 8 reps or less, heavy weight and never cardio. I got it to where I could run a mile in under 5 minutes but never went past a mile. I ate a can of tuna every morning (26 grams of protein!), worked out, shake, breakfast, snack, worked out in weight class, shake, lunch, snack, snack, practice for whatever sport I was in season for, dinner, shake after dinner.

Now days I almost suffer a heart attack walking back up the SlickRock trail at Tellico  ;D

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 03:12:44 PM »
Thanks for all of the info guys. I think over the weekend I will put together a plan and a diet and post it for comments.
Chuck & Sherry

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 03:31:55 PM »
 {toast}
I've grown tired of this.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE