BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Getting in shape 2008 / 2009 / 2010  (Read 46982 times)

ghostdancer308

Re: Getting in shape
« Reply #900 on: April 27, 2010, 05:55:07 PM »
still hitting it hard. Got 340lb on 5th set of bench. Ready to come home and rest!

BigJerm

« Reply #901 on: April 28, 2010, 04:59:10 PM »
Keep at it  {toast}

My schedule is kinda wack. I do an upper body and lower body weight day and then one day i do a pushup/pullup/situp day. Then I mountain bike when I can. I need to start running again. Nothing today on my off day, was in a hell of a fight yesterday and my back is a little sore today.

ghostdancer308

« Reply #902 on: April 29, 2010, 12:54:39 PM »
yeah, we were hit with some PT test thing just recently. My age group has to do bench press, sit and reach, agility and a 1.5 mile run in 12min. To me, its a joke. But its funny in my line of work. Everyone wants to be high-speed and take gucci pics. But if I tell you that your job depends on this event/ evolution, people get scared and start getting injured. Its ridiculous!  {toast}

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #903 on: April 29, 2010, 01:09:50 PM »
You guys are killing me. I just got back up to walking 4 miles. I can't do any jogging yet, I feel like I can, but I'm waiting for the Dr. to say GO! By the way, I'm down 28 pounds as of this morning -  weight was 223.
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

ghostdancer308

« Reply #904 on: April 29, 2010, 01:17:16 PM »
good to go Chuck! I can't seem to get under 200lbs! I would like to be 190Lbs, but I would fall out!

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #905 on: April 29, 2010, 03:31:04 PM »
You guys are killing me. I just got back up to walking 4 miles. I can't do any jogging yet, I feel like I can, but I'm waiting for the Dr. to say GO! By the way, I'm down 28 pounds as of this morning -  weight was 223.

WOW!  Great news slim!

still hitting it hard. Got 340lb on 5th set of bench. Ready to come home and rest!

:o :o :o :o    {toast}

mdo817

« Reply #906 on: April 29, 2010, 03:55:25 PM »
You are loosing your Old Man Speedo body. Way to go Chuck.

ghostdancer308

« Reply #907 on: May 04, 2010, 08:12:52 AM »
Chuck, some of the Nutri-system meals were left behind by guys leaving country. I know we spoke of this before and all I can say is they are like fancy MRE's. They are designed for someone who is a couch potato. But...we have contacted them and Nutri-sys did state if your active the least bit, you will need to increase caloric intake and even supplement. They do cook fast and are great for on the go. Hope this helps!

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #908 on: May 04, 2010, 09:01:50 AM »
Thanks for the info Glen. I mentioned this to my surgeon and for now he suggested to stay away from any type of packaged meal. As you said they are good for "on the go" type of situation. I'm supposed to concentrate on eating the right foods, blah, blah, blah. Also, he claims that anything packaged that has any kind of shelf life has some sort of preservatives in it and I should really try to stay away from these things for now. I think he may be a little extreme, but on the other hand, he is the Dr. and he's built like you so I'm guessing he can't be to far off.

On a side note - I went in yesterday to get my first adjustment on the band and I finally got the Dr.'s release to work out but, he he told me to stick with just doing cardio for now and cut back on the carbs. He said I should concentrate on just getting rid of all the body fat that I can. Once it's gone then I can start working on building muscles. I can do cardio, crunches, push-ups, squats but with just using my own body weight for now.
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

ghostdancer308

« Reply #909 on: May 04, 2010, 09:10:26 AM »
Not a problem bro! If you or anyone else needs help, just post up! {toast}

Offline DILYSI Dave

• Visitor
« Reply #910 on: May 04, 2010, 10:40:13 AM »
New to the thread....

The new job has a pretty decent gym, and the mirror tells me that I should probably be using it.  I've been a few times, but could use some input from a few of you more experienced guys. 

One thing that I have realized while going into the gym is that I don't really know how much I need to be lifting. I lifted all through high school, but that was either for football while I still played, or training with the football players after I stopped playing. So really the only consistent program I've done is one focused on building mass. That was more appropriate when I was 18 than it is now at 34. I need to figure out how to adjust this mindset to one more focused on weight loss and general health. Typical mass building involved base lining with a max lift, then doing a round of training that varied on the concept of 10 reps of 50%, 8 reps of 60%, 6 reps of 70%, 4 reps of 80%, and 2 reps of 90%. After a couple of weeks, max out again and then continue on using the percentages based off of a new, higher max. The reps and percentages varied based on the day of the rotation, but that was the concept. Doing this turned me from a 135# weakling into a 225# wall over the course of a few years. I was eating 5000 - 6000 calories a day, and turning it into muscle mass. My fatal flaw was not changing these intake habits once I stopped hitting the gym.

Now, I had shoulder surgery about 6 months back and have been doing PT like a mad man.  My physical therapy training has been the polar opposite. Whereas in strength training, we never did more than 10 reps, in PT the lowest number we do is 15 after we step up in weight, and then progress up to 45 reps before stepping up again. On some exercises where building the muscle is important, but over-stressing it would be uber bad (damage the surgery), I'm up to 110 reps at really low weights.

I have a feeling that what I need to be doing is somewhere in between those two extremes.  I was in the gym on Saturday and did a pretty good workout that had 15 minutes of elliptical to get warmed up and the heart working, then hit the machines.  I was still guessing at weight amounts, but was trying to do sets of 10-8-6 reps, and weight amounts that made me work pretty hard for those last couple of reps on the last set. 

Any input on the right approach would be appreciated.

BigJerm

« Reply #911 on: May 04, 2010, 10:46:48 AM »
I think the sets are, for the most part, just what you want to do. As long as you lift you are building some muscle and burning fat. Now there are variations like to get your max up go heavy weight low rep, ect but for general lifting I don't think there is a good, true rule. I do 2 exercises per body part, 3 sets of 10 reps and heavy as I can go. I do 1 upper body day, 1 lower body day and then a day of body weight exercises (pushup, pullup, ect), and mountain bike/hike when I can. I see results from this but not everyone will. Just make sure you get the food part right, hit the weights and cardio hard no matter how you do it, and you will see results!

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM