BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: WJ pros and cons..  (Read 1207 times)

Offline TJBrad04

• Visitor
Re: WJ pros and cons..
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 10:08:27 PM »
I rebuilt a couple of Katrina cars right after the hurricane....I think you would be able to smell the mildew as soon as you stepped in the car if it was a Katrina car, lol. Sorry to high jack! I think the WJ would be a pretty sweet DD.

WJs are solid axle, the WKs were the first IRS Grands.

the WK's are IFS with a solid axle in the rear

my 01' 4.7 WJ haul's arss for a SUV and gets 21mpg on the highway. It is night and day between my 97' 5.2 ZJ.

what year are you looking at? i would try to stay 2001 or newer to avoid the teething problems they had on the first two years

Offline nwcj5

• Visitor
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 10:11:20 PM »
ya I agree Will, I just don't know what to think based on the description and pics, and I'm probably getting ahead of myself because I haven't contacted the owner (and won't be surprised if I can't) but I'm sure I won't be able to figure anything out until its driven

ranger11

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 10:12:49 PM »
ya I agree Will, I just don't know what to think based on the description and pics, and I'm probably getting ahead of myself because I haven't contacted the owner (and won't be surprised if I can't) but I'm sure I won't be able to figure anything out until its driven

Matt?

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 10:16:16 PM »
I wasnt going to say anything but iws
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline nwcj5

• Visitor
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 10:22:41 PM »
my bad my bad MATT...not sure where that came from  %)

Offline Ben H.

• Visitor
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 12:07:57 AM »
Ok, as a Grand guy I will let you know whats up.

There are 2 big issues with WJs. The Limited models have AC problems with the blend doors. Lots of work to fix it, see if it has been done before. The other thing is that the early models (99-01?) have problems with warped rotors. Again, see if that has been fixed. Both of those were recalls so they should be fixed.

Now, I have never heard about any trans problems really. The V8s have 5 speeds and the 6 cylinders have 4 speeds, both autos. One neat thing is that the early V8 trans are only 4 speeds but can reflashed to gain that 5th gear. The V8s are very good motors. 4.7L, 235 hp, 295 lb.-ft. (I think, going off memory here), so its got good power. The 6 cylinder is your basic 4.0L HO. On the later models, you could get the 4.7L HO with has more power and a great choice.

For the rest of the drivetrain, D30 front and either a non c-clip D35 (I6) or D44a (V8) rear. Both are wider axles then other Jeeps so parts cannot be swapped between them. Transfer cases are either the 242 (part time) or 247 (full time). You can also get a Quadradrive which has the 247 with limited slips front and rear.

As far as an aftermarket goes, for the basic bolt on stuff, its not that bad of a selection or prices. But the more you start doing to it, the more expensive it gets and the harder it is to find parts.

Now, in my opinion, for a DD to mild wheeler, it is a great choice. If it were me, I would find one with the 4.7HO and Quadradrive, lift it 3"-4" and fit 32" tires with basic armor and parts.

And that picture is of a ZJ. I mean really, how hard is it to remember this stuff. If someone called one of ya'lls TJ a YJ or your CJ a Wrangler, would it not piss you off?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 12:11:34 AM by Ben H. »
1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8

Offline nwcj5

• Visitor
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2008, 11:07:08 AM »
something else that I thought might be a reason for the lower price is the V8 and the gas prices we've seen..and something I didn't see before was that its a dealer (the pics are driveway and garage shots so it didn't really cross my mind), but the email's been sent so we'll see..

Diehard

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2008, 03:28:50 PM »
I have an '04 GC. In my opinion a properly lifted GC, at least 4", with lockers can do almost what some of the "other" Jeeps do. ("Other" meaning lifted CJs, TJs etc.).
The 4.7 or the HO 4.7 is plenty of power, the longer wheel base, at times, can be a plus, the extra room is excellent for gear or passengers, if you get the leather seats they clean up easy.
Aftermarket mods are available, but still lag behind the other models.
I also like the looks/comments I get at the trails. WJs are more popular out west.
I have enjoyed mine and have another WJ for my DD.

Offline nwcj5

• Visitor
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 09:31:37 PM »
negative on the GC ghostrider.. the guy just up and moved to Montana can you believe that?  ::)

oh well its a good WJ discussion for the archives

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM