BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Gas Tank Skid Recommendations..  (Read 741 times)

Offline Rockinwrangler

• Visitor
Gas Tank Skid Recommendations..
« on: December 20, 2008, 08:00:18 PM »
I need some gas tank skid recommendations.  I had to remove my rokmen gas tank cover skid for my rear diff cover to fit with clearance.  It is probably better to protect the diff over the gas tank.  It has the factory skid.  I will now have to go to a skid that will replace my factory skid.  I prefer a high clearance if there is one for a 2000 TJ.

Any advice and prior knowledge will be appreciated..

RW
"A well built rig is one that is road worthy after a day on the trail"

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: Gas Tank Skid Recommendations..
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 10:04:31 PM »
I need some gas tank skid recommendations.  I had to remove my rokmen gas tank cover skid for my rear diff cover to fit with clearance.  It is probably better to protect the diff over the gas tank.  It has the factory skid.  I will now have to go to a skid that will replace my factory skid.  I prefer a high clearance if there is one for a 2000 TJ.
RW

I hear great things about the Rokman. 

Are you sure you couldn't move the skid back further?  I have the warn gas tank skid and the Ford 8.8 with a Solid cover, and was able to get it clear by loosening the skid bolts, lifting the Jeep, placing a wood block between the axle and the skid, lowering the Jeep, and re-tightening the bolts.

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 10:45:46 PM »
Can you trim the tank skid a hair so the diff cover clears it?
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

Offline Rockinwrangler

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 06:26:11 AM »
I hear great things about the Rokman. 
[/quote]
Are you sure you couldn't move the skid back further?  I have the warn gas tank skid and the Ford 8.8 with a Solid cover, and was able to get it clear by loosening the skid bolts, lifting the Jeep, placing a wood block between the axle and the skid, lowering the Jeep, and re-tightening the bolts.
[/quote]

Thanks for the knowledge..  I will make sure it is adjusted back as far as it will go.  I would like to keep this skid for now because funds are running low.  If I can't I will just ride with the factory skid for now. 

Jimmy,  I thought about cutting out the section that is close to the diff cover but I am not sure if it would weaken the strength of the skid in that area..

Thanks again for the imput.....  Keep It Coming......
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 08:06:19 AM by Rockinwrangler »

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 08:07:21 AM »
post up some pictures of the area thats hitting.
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

Offline Rockinwrangler

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 08:37:13 AM »
okay,  i will post some in a little while.....

Offline Hollywood

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 10:18:06 AM »

huh?

ranger11

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 10:42:47 AM »
When he lifted the jeep it moved the skid away from the axle allowing him to put the wood in there then he lowered it with the wood then tightened up the skid then lifted it again to remove the wood. The wood pushes the skid back with out damaging it.

You have to lift the Jeep the frame in order for this to work or the bumpers if there after market.

ghostdancer308

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 11:37:27 AM »
Kilby and GenRight. But those are GUCCI!! ;D

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 12:46:11 PM »
huh?
When he lifted the jeep it moved the skid away from the axle allowing him to put the wood in there then he lowered it with the wood then tightened up the skid then lifted it again to remove the wood. The wood pushes the skid back with out damaging it.
You have to lift the Jeep the frame in order for this to work or the bumpers if there after market.

LOL!  Richard, you're exactly right, but Hollywood just wanted some acknowledgment cause he actually did it to my Jeep! 

{toast}

ranger11

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 12:58:52 PM »
My bad ;D

Offline Rowingfish87

• Visitor
    • My pictures
2002 TJ 4.0L/NV3550/NP231/F-D30/R-D44
36x12.50x15 TSLs
RC 2.5" Lift

1998 Ram 2500 4x4 12v CTD