BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Anyone know where to get Betadine in stores?  (Read 697 times)

BigJerm

Anyone know where to get Betadine in stores?
« on: December 30, 2008, 08:11:24 AM »
We are taking in my parents jack Russell this weekend. He suffers from allergies and anxiety along with probably being bored and he chews on his paws all the time. Now that my brother, wife and 2 kids moved in it has got a lot worse to the point of bleeding. So to help him we are going to take him in. I have been doing a lot of research and they say Betadine is better than peroxide for continued cleaning. My only problem is I can't find it! Walgreens has an 8 oz. Bottle for $17.99 but I found a place online that will ship a 16 oz bottle for $14.99 total. I was just in hopes to have it by Saturday when I pick him up.

And any help or suggestions you can offer I am here for. He has been to the vets but they are the ones saying allergies/anxiety and to give him benadryl(sp) and calming down pills and that's it. Well I think that's dumb to just drug a dog up and not attempt to help it. Some online research says if could be a yeast infection and most vets won't test for it or will overlook it. I think we are going to find a new vet in Smyrna and take him there.

Offline Old_ford

• Visitor
  • Who needs a chevy i got my ford back!!
Re: Anyone know where to get Betadine in stores?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 12:42:12 AM »
I have seen some of the smaller dogs have food allergies  mainly from the grains that they put into  the chow         and the benegyrl (sp?) gel works great  i use a very small amounts  of it on my war weasels (ferrets)  when they get the itchies  from something they get into,  i hope this helps a bit  jerm and good luck with the engizer bunny of the  dog world {salute}
you may go faster but i can go over

BigJerm

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 07:19:00 AM »
Haha thanks man. We already have a jack Russell mix that is every much as hyper and jumpy but weighs 48 lbs

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 10:10:46 AM »
A 48 pound spring ;D
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline HammerG26

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 08:47:55 PM »
Yeah - don't use Peroxide, it will actually cause more damage than good with repeated use.  I would just go to Walgreens or CVS and ask the pharmacist if they had Povidone-Iodine solution (it is what is in Betadine solution). 

As for food allergies - PetSmart sells a food called Nature's Recipe - we have had some luck with our lab mix and his itchy skin.

Good luck.
Hammer
2007 Sahara Unlimited Steel Blue
Automatic, Tow Pkg, Freedom Top

BigJerm

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 01:23:08 PM »
Well my mom took him to a new vet today for a second opinion. The new vets says it looks like food allergies to him (ears and skin bother scooter as well) and for the next week scooter will eat a mixture of ground turkey, rice, peas and carrots. No dog food, treats, table food of any kind. We will still get him this Saturday and he has another appointment next Saturday. I still plan to try and clean his paws up to maybe help with any infections going on.

Hammer, is that food you talk about a true all natural food? If so scooter may be on it soon.

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 02:02:06 PM »
Jeremy, you can read all about dog food here:

http://drydogfood.bravehost.com/menu.htm

I fed Iams to Amber before I was educated about dog food. I became curious after I figured out she was supposed to be eating SIX CUPS of Iams a day and found that site. Now that I switched to Blue Buffalo, she eats 3 cups a day. So even though a bag of Blue Buffalo costs twice as much, the bag lasts twice as long. Hope you get everything worked out, my parents dog has food allergies and the dog can actually be a dog instead of itching itself 23 hours a day now that they found a food that doesn't mess her up.
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

BigJerm

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 02:23:53 PM »
THanks for the link Jimmy. I will look over it more at home but I did see the Beneful Healthy Radiance listed and that is what Montana and Scooter eat. My mom said she recently good Rachel Ray dog food (guess that chick will cook anything?) and I am sure it is no better than the others listed. Now I just need to read up on what makes good and bad dog food.

Offline HammerG26

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 03:57:59 PM »
I don't think it is "all natural" - those are tough to find.  I was looking for a food without corn, wheat, soy, or dairy products... I got it (Fish and Potato recipe) to help the itchy skin.  We have seen some good results, though he still does have some issues.  Let me know what works for you - would love another option if this does not work.  I can ask my sister - she does dog rescue in Florida and usually has some good ideas.
Hammer

Offline HammerG26

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 04:02:30 PM »
This is what Blake and Brady get:  Nature's Recipe Easy-to-Digest Fish Meal & Potato Formula
Hammer

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM