BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Sweet water Lake Altoona  (Read 4451 times)

Offline RamIt

• Visitor
Sweet water Lake Altoona
« on: March 16, 2009, 08:59:46 PM »
Have any of you heard of this place.  Here is the deal i have been there a couple times.  i am pretty sure that the roads are county roads.  There is alot of fun trails to ride.  I heard it closed but i am not sure.  Has anybody heard cause i would love to go back.  ( Its close to the house) {ehm}
1997 Dodge Ram single cab sort bed
3 inch lift
Rancho shocks
Grill gaurd
KC baja lights
35 TSL SS
American racing wheels
Redneck CAI

Offline wtheonew

• Visitor
Re: Sweet water Lake Altoona
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 09:19:32 PM »
Unless I'm wrong, it isn't legal to wheel there.

Offline RamIt

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 09:39:25 PM »
That what i thought just on four wheelers it is illegal
3 inch lift
Rancho shocks
Grill gaurd
KC baja lights
35 TSL SS
American racing wheels
Redneck CAI

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 10:08:40 PM »
Anywhere off the road at Sweetwater is private property that is posted.  Read the entire thread the quote below comes from.  The owner actually posted in the thread, and has posted in others as well.  They have a standing order to prosecute with the sheriff's department. 

http://www.southernjeeps.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=27514&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=sweetwater&start=10

From SJ's:
SweetWater is off limits
I hate to do it but i have info that sweetwater trail in cartersville ga is closed you will get your rig impounded and a 2000 dollar fine if you are caught
We were there on saturday i had a nice conversation with the president of the hunting preserve and the owner they let us go with a warning the cherokee co sheriff was there also and he was instructed to take anyone to jail from now on no questions asked
if you turn off of either of the 2 main rds lower sweetwater or hardin bridge you are tresspassing im just relaying a message didnt want to see any felow 4 wheelers go to jail
thanks David Paris

Thank you David, it ended up being a pleasure meeting you, I'm not going to bother to reply to the " other" post about this incident and leave it to you to explain what was said by Officer Lewis, here's the case number I was given by officer Lewis about my call to them about this and post the DNR's webpage about the wma, 08-77897. http://www.georgiawildlife.com/Assets/Documents/Hunting_Regulations/web_version.pdf

BigJerm

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 10:13:51 PM »
Ok here is the real deal being there and speaking to the corps (it is corp land). The actuall roads (there are 2) are legal and ok to drive on and take you down to the lake. Now all the "trails" off the 2 main roads are ILLEGAL. You cannot ride 4 wheelers anywhere on corps land and you cannot trailer rigs.

Either way I wouldnt go again... things are to sketch and the roads and trails look about the same so its hard to tell which is which and you better believe you will get in some major trouble if caught on the wrong land. There use to be a trail head map but its all torn up now and no good to read. The whole point is, you are not suppose to go just play with your 4x4, your suppose to go to the lake to fish, hike, bike, ect.

Some reading: http://allatoona.sam.usace.army.mil/Allatoona%20recreation/offroad.htm

Edit* Doug has the same info. Stay on 2 roads, you are good, turn off them...

Offline RamIt

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 10:37:55 PM »
THanks guys i guess i will not be going there again.
3 inch lift
Rancho shocks
Grill gaurd
KC baja lights
35 TSL SS
American racing wheels
Redneck CAI

Offline big94yj

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 11:19:40 PM »
that is good to know i have been there a couple times but about a year ago when there wasnt such a big deal about it but it close to where i am i would of liked to go back but i guess that is not going to happen haha
94 yj
3inch body lift and 4 inch suspension
35"  x-terrains
rhinolined interior
genright tube fenders up front.
(more just dont feel like listing)

Offline Chipotle

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 10:12:49 AM »
I have been out to this spot twice and denied each time.  I have never been able to go down this trail. First time was with the intent of going off-road. We got there, dude in his car got stuck and then the cops showed up.

Second time was trying to find a camp site I saw from the lake when fishing that is right on the water. Turned out to be the end of the trail. That time some old guy in a truck was just sitting there waiting to tell us that he "called the law." I tried to explain that I was trying to find a site I saw from the lake. The old coot didnt give a crap and just repeated himself.  I did not sense enough mental faculties were present to try and carry on an intelligent argument with him or "the law" so I left.

Past few weekends that I have been out on the lake fishing, I have seen people camping, and traveling through the trails. Not sure if they are special or just lucky, all i know is that I am 0-2 with this trail. Not sure I want to see what happens on a 3rd try.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM